Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0901  (Read 1654 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0901
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:57:36 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0901
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:16:20 AM »
Barnabas keeps saying "we" when talking about the Leviathans, as though there are a great multitude of them.  How many of them are there?  And exactly how do they keep track of Paul Stoddard?

I love Barnabas's cold smoothness - or smooth coldness.  And his upper teeth looked beautiful as he smiled - so white and even.

Carolyn called her father from the antique shop. That bothered me. It's a job of sorts, and she shouldn't make personal calls from work. But I have done so when it was necessary, and of course Carolyn is very worried about her father.  Golly, she sure latched onto him quickly.  I don't find that unbelievable - just noteworthy.  The part that I find unbelievable is how much Paul cares about Carolyn.  I can't help wondering if the Leviathans have something to do with that - except that would seem to make nonsense of the terms that they set up in the bargain with Mr. Strack.  If the Leviathans can dictate what Paul's most precious possession is, then I figure they could take Carolyn of their own accord.  So Paul's love for Carolyn must come from himself, not from the Leviathans, and they must have bounced around in time and known in 1949 that Paul would care about Carolyn in 1969, because there weren't any indications of it in 1949.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »
A lot of change can happen in 20 years.

Nicely done moment, when Barnabas reveals within earshot of Carolyn that she is his "greatest possession".   I like the selective communication, letting one person in the conversation know something, while leaving the other party totally in the dark.

I'm envious of Jonathan Frid's ability to pronounce "particularly" without stumbling at all.

I like the fact that a man is the one experiencing and exhibiting terror.   We do that, you know.

I think this is in Stoddard's hotel room... does he stand up and immediately check his fly?   ***   Is $5,000 really a large enough amount to bribe someone with, to make him go away?   ***   I like Marie Wallace's low-pitched singing.   I also enjoy Barnabas's saying that the baby is "perfectly formed"!   That's what a new mother wants to hear!  ***  Barnabas waltzes into Paul's hotel room in the dead of night, and when he starts talking, the room lights go on by themselves!  ***  I like Meg's asymmetrical hair here, the single pigtail.

Here comes the asthma.....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »
I love Barnabas's cold smoothness - or smooth coldness. 

Eloquently evil for sure!! Love it!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:37:54 PM »
I would say in 1969 5k would be a nice amount to "go away" with!  Hell I would take it now! [8_2_74]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:28:55 PM »
Paul to Barnabas, in front of Carolyn at the Blue Whale:  "I barely know her, I swear it."
Ouch!!!

Louis Edmonds joins the story!
Carolyn:  "In 20 years, don't you think it's possible for a person to change?"
Roger:  "A person, yes, but not Paul Stoddard."
Me-owch!!

The antique light bulbs in the foyer have been replaced by the modern ones again.  [crazd]

Poor naive Paul doesn't realize that there's no way the Leviathans would have let him run off now with Carolyn.  I'm assuming they'd do anything to keep her there-- even kill a member of her family.

I LOVE Carolyn's camel coat with the chocolate brown collar and cuffs.

The sexism aside of Carolyn being Paul's possession, based on his conversation with Barnabas at the Inn, it sounds as if Paul was saying that Carolyn meant a lot to him when she was a baby but he didn't realize it at the time because he wasn't thinking straight.  Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

The framed maps hanging in Paul's room look familiar:

MB's capture from #762 of Evan's house

Barnabas waltzes into Paul's hotel room in the dead of night, and when he starts talking, the room lights go on by themselves!
I'm pretty sure it's morning (Carolyn arrived late for work in the previous scene, and I think Barnabas says something about it being too nice a day for Paul to be sleeping), and Barnabas opened the window shade to let the daylight in, but the technician was really late.

Here comes the asthma.....
<sigh>

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »
I LOVE Carolyn's camel coat with the chocolate brown collar and cuffs.
I took a look at it in 906.  It didn't do much for me.  God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:09:22 AM »
I'll wager that it is possible Paul did care about Carolyn 20 years ago even though he abandoned her...maybe at the time he just didn't want to be a full-time responsible father. Not to mention at the time also he may have cared for Elizabeth's jewelry and bonds a bit more.

Roger really hates Paul's guts doesn't he? I concede he has a right to be mad at the man who abandoned his sister and had been ready to rob her and walked out on his daughter...would the Roger at the beginning of the show have been so furious? He and Elizabeth had been somewhat at odds, especially where David was concerned. They're closer now of course, but I can't help but wonder if the Roger of 1966, while he still wouldn't have been happy about Paul returning, would have objected to him for all the wrong reasons.

Roger dislikes Paul so much at that point, that he's ready to condemn anyone seen talking with him. Barnabas is indeed smoothingly cold, and yes he DID know who Paul was despite what he said...but Roger still shouldn't have assumed that. Roger can't help being Roger, I guess.

Also, Roger struck me as being self-confidently smug when he dared Carolyn to test Paul with the money...it's almost as if he wants Paul to prove him right by taking the money, so Roger could have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so," to her later on. That strikes me as being plain old nasty on Roger's part.