Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0891  (Read 1492 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0891
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:54:38 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0891
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:26:42 AM »
Ha, first one here, nyah nyah.   

The utter happiness of the Todds really just paints a big old bull's-eye on them and invites disaster, as well as getting my TV all sticky with syrup.  Man, did they pick the wrong town to be blissfully happy in!  The statue of the lady hailing a cab in the antique shop does seem like it belongs in Collinwood's foyer.  ***   What's in The Box?   Apparently, electronic feedback.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 05:27:24 AM »
How were Philip and Megan chosen for whatever role they are supposed to play?  I imagine that Barnabas was chosen for his role because of his aptitude for time travel.  Maybe the journey to 1795 via Josette's portrait was a final exam to make sure he could do what was necessary.  But what makes Philip and Megan so special?  Oh, well, at this point we haven't even been told what they will be doing, or being, so speculation is more than usually idle.

Megan called Barnabas a lonely man, but even while Philip and Megan were at his house, somebody else came to see him.  And they know that he is cousins with the Collinwood folks, and with all the talking that Carolyn has apparently been doing, they have probably heard that he's good friends with Julia Hoffman.  But I suppose at the moment he's acting like a lonely man when he's with Megan and Philip.

Barnabas gave Elizabeth a lovely greeting.  So far the only person to whom he has behaved coldly is Julia.

A thing without a soul.  What does that mean?  I have a general idea, but I find that I'm having trouble nailing down the details.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:12:31 AM »
Barnabas gave Elizabeth a lovely greeting.  So far the only person to whom he has behaved coldly is Julia.

I've never thought about this before, but[spoiler]the people that Barnabas has so far come in contact with and been warm with are all people who are or will be involved in the Leviathan's plans. However, as we will learn down the road, Julia isn't susceptible to being indoctrinated into the cause. It might be interesting to speculate that somehow on some level Barnabas already senses that with Julia and realizes she'll be a problem, and that may be why he behaved coldly to her on sight.[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:40:51 AM »
I'm trying to see Barnabas's current coldness to Julia as being consistent with[spoiler]his later recalcitrance when he is told to get rid of Julia.  My idea is that right now he's trying to keep her safe by alienating her to the point that she'll go back to Windcliff and not get involved.[/spoiler]But I'm not convincing myself.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 07:00:18 AM »
At this point in time I don't believe Barnabas has any concern for Julia or even gives her a second thought beyond preventing her from finding out what he's up to. I think any feelings he had for her or anyone who isn't a part of the plan (like Chris) have been submerged deep within his psyche by his Leviathans indoctrination. Though[spoiler]as you allude, his real feelings for Julia will definitely reassert themselves down the line - though why and how is best left for a future discussion because that's when this storyline begins to change course radically due to the audience's displeasure.[/spoiler]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:12:43 PM »
To sum up the action, there's a crank call and heavy breathing, though in different scenes.  And there's a box and a boa and bull, oh my!

Would you believe that someone could own an antique box and never once took a peek inside?

Marie Wallace is no longer playing Eve, but she IS playing the female half of a couple who is the more curious one that falls first to temptation.  And we know how that will end.  Eve had Nicholas (a snake in the grass for sure) whispering in her ear, but Megan's "apple" is a box with an actual serpent on top (albeit one with 4 heads).  I'm rambling, sorry.

Liz to Barnabas:  "The ghosts are gone now."
Par.  A.  Dox.

Why would Maggie let her guard down in front of a stranger who avoids giving his name, and who claims to have known her father well and says he remembers her although she doesn't remember him?  And then they have a conversation directly in front of a portrait of her mother but he says nothing about it; if he really was an old friend of Sam's, wouldn't she expect him to recognize the woman who was married to Pop?

KLS tripped a little, oops.  And as Taeylor points out under the next episode, Pansy's boa is in the antique shop.

A thing without a soul.  What does that mean?  I have a general idea, but I find that I'm having trouble nailing down the details.
As I first watched Buffy's soulless vampires and demons who resented humans and sought to regain their ancient rule of the planet, I was reminded of the writings of Lovecraft but also this part of DS.  Of course, this storyline seems to rip off HPL at every turn.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:21:53 AM »
I too wonder how the Todds were chosen for the 'honor' of taking care of the Leviathan thing. Maybe because they don't have any children of their own? Choosing a couple with a houseful of kids or even just one wouldn't do because that child or kids could somehow cause problems for the Leviathan cause. (How many time have we seen in movies that a villain's sinister, clever plot has been foiled by meddling kids?).

Apparently Elizabeth is unaware what good friends Barnabas and Chris used to be because she might find it odd that Barnabas is now acting so against Chris and trying to get her to investigate him. I still say Barnabas was trying to get the ball rolling to expose Chris. With Chris out of the picture, it would be so much easier to steer Carolyn toward down the Leviathan destiny.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:27:57 AM »
ILB-- The Todds moved into town just as Barnabas came back.   They had no family in town, or nearby, and maybe they just don't have any family that they're in contact with-- it seems so.   They're deleriously happy, so much so that Evil with its appetite for irony could not possibly resist smiting them.   Maybe this also meant that they could take the stresses of Leviathanhood and still stay together.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor