Author Topic: Archive Access Problems  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Archive Access Problems
« on: July 26, 2002, 07:06:42 AM »
To the people who've posted or e-mailed regarding problems accessing the archive:

Your problem doesn't lie in anything to do with the actual forum because I've logged in as each of you (using both IE 6.0 and Netscape 6.3) and had no problem accessing the archive with each of the five gateway links. ?!?

One thing that most of you have in common is that you're using IE 5.0 or later (my all-time favorite browsers [puke]) [lghy] So, I suspect that *might* be your problem. [wink2]

Clearing IE's cache seems to be a solution to many of its woes, so I suggest you try that and then try to access the archive. If that doesn't work, I don't honestly know what to suggest. Sorry. :(

The people whose problem baffles me are the ones using Netscape 6.0 or later. Netscape doesn't normally have the cache problems that IE does. But try clearing the cache anyway. It can't hurt. :)  But like the IE users, if it doesn't, I don't know what else to suggest. :(

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Archive Access Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2002, 07:24:58 AM »
Have IE 6.0, tried emptying the cache, doesn't do jack for me.

The Member's Gateway shows up when I am on the Home page, and I can click on any of the 5 topics without a problem. That takes me to the Members Archive index page.

The problem comes when I attempt to click on anything on that page, such as Screen Captures/Photos, for example. Then I get the big fat You are not allowed to access this section.

If the problem really is IE 6.0, then this is going to suck out loud. I realize you hate it, MB, but it's what a lot of people use.  :(

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 07:31:59 AM »
The problem comes when I attempt to click on anything on that page, such as Screen Captures/Photos, for example. Then I get the big fat You are not allowed to access this section.

Hmmm - now that's a unique problem! I'll have to check it out for you. Or rather, as you. :)

If the problem really is IE 6.0, then this is going to suck out loud. I realize you hate it, MB, but it's what a lot of people use.  :(

The problem definitely isn't IE 6.0 itself because I've been able to access the archive as all of the people who've had problems and use it.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2002, 07:53:38 AM »

I have the same problem.

ProfStokes

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2002, 08:10:02 AM »
I have the same problem.

Well, this problem I have been able to duplicate. And I understand what's happening.

You see, the forum's system validates whether or not someone has access to categories and boards separately. The system recognizes that both you and MsCriseyde (and I'm sure several other people) have permission to those categories (which I suppose is obvious or you wouldn't be able to see them in the first place), but when you try to access a board, the system checks your status and it's deciding that you don't have permission because it's not recognizing your status.

Now, the routine that checks for board access permissions was recently changed when I installed a new mod for the forum. So, I went to YaBB's Web site, searched, and discovered that there are a whole slew of posts about this exact problem. I guess that means I won't be able to fix it until after I've sorted them all. But at least in this instance I know what I'm looking for because I've been able to duplicate it. :)

Nancy

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 08:41:42 AM »
I have Netscape as my IE browser has not worked in quite some time.  I can't get into the member's archives even after clearing caches, cursing and cajoling.  

Ain't happening.

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 09:03:02 AM »
Now, the routine that checks for board access permissions was recently changed when I installed a new mod for the forum. So, I went to YaBB's Web site, searched, and discovered that there are a whole slew of posts about this exact problem. I guess that means I won't be able to fix it until after I've sorted them all. But at least in this instance I know what I'm looking for because I've been able to duplicate it. :)

Well, I just discovered that the mod doesn't actually do all of what it promises. I want people to automatically get access to the archive when they reach 50 posts rather than my having to check post counts and grant them access to the archive myself. But apparently all this mod will do is elevate someone to a different status level that's based on posts. The forum was already doing that BEFORE I installed the mod!

So, it looks like I'm going to have to rewrite the board access routine myself. The good thing is it looks to be a simple rewrite. But I've eaten words like that more than once already. ;)

The best I can do is promise to fix the problem as soon as possible. :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2002, 09:11:07 AM »
I have Netscape as my IE browser has not worked in quite some time.  I can't get into the member's archives even after clearing caches, cursing and cajoling.  

Ain't happening.

Because both Midnite and I can access the archive if we login as the people who've told us they're experiencing this problem, I'm going to have to resort to a little creative tinkering. I'm going to have to get the archive's system to display the values of a few different variables it checks when someone accesses it, and then you're all going to have to write down what gets displayed and IM or e-mail it to me.

I'll try to do this as soon as possible tomorrow. Once it's ready, I'll post a notice here in this topic. :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2002, 01:56:51 PM »
I got the "Pleske Default Page" all day and evening yesterday.....

When I go in on IE I get the main archive, but no access to any of the individual ones......  

When I go in on Netscape I get the "attempting to enter in an invalid manner" message....

I called Hubby and he talked me through the "emptying the cache" process...... No joy there!

Rainey, who was only kidding about the spell to melt computers :(
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2002, 04:47:54 PM »
I am having the same problem as all of you, access denied.  I thought it was just me.  My son thought we should tie a rope around the computer and drag it down the street.  We will wait a bit for that.

Tanis

I e-mailed the problem.
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2002, 05:48:17 PM »
Same problem here.  I haven't had to much time to play here lately.  Too much "work".  We are counting on our "genius" to fix the problem.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2002, 06:36:59 PM »
The archive's system is ready for those of you who are getting the error:

"You have tried to enter the Members' Archive in an invalid manner. Please go (back) to the main forum and use one of the five links provided in the Members' Gateway."

When you get the chance, please try to access the archive, write down the time you tried to get in, and copy down whatever the screen shows you in the "An Error Has Occured!" window, and then please either e-mail or IM all that info to me. There are three possible reasons for this error to come up, so hopefully this info will give me a better idea of what's happening to each of you. :)

And IE users, please clear your cache before you try to access the archive. Otherwise you're just going to get the page that's stored in your cache - and that's of no help to us whatsoever! ;)

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2002, 09:05:04 PM »
MB,
 I hate to bother you about this, but.....what exactly is cache? I have no clue what it even is, let alone how to clear it. How do I do this? I am computer illiterate-You would think someone who has taken semesters of computer classes would know these things, but not I. All I seem to know is Word, PowerPoint, and Excel-which isn't much help here!  :(

-Lindsey, who is confused out of her mind right now  ?!?
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2002, 09:22:49 PM »
MB,
 I hate to bother you about this, but.....what exactly is cache? I have no clue what it even is, let alone how to clear it. How do I do this? I am computer illiterate-You would think someone who has taken semesters of computer classes would know these things, but not I. All I seem to know is Word, PowerPoint, and Excel-which isn't much help here!  :(

-Lindsey, who is confused out of her mind right now  ?!?

Poor Lindsey!

Okay, there's a topic that right now is at the bottom of this board's page 1 (but please check the top of page 2 if it's not there by the time you read this)-- it's called "DS Boards 'Offline'??"", and if you scroll down to MB's post you'll see a detailed explanation for clearing your particular browser's cache.  IIRC, MB added the procedure for AOL users a little further down.  It's a very good idea to clear your cache periodically anyway, so consider this a good thing. :)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2002, 01:35:21 AM »
Okay.

With IE (and I have ver 5.0--I think) I have cleaned out my cache repeatedly.  "Access Denied."  I tried accessing the archive at the computer at work.  Also with IE and also after cleaning out the cache.  Still getting denied.

With Netscape--I am getting the other message and will send that to you.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga