Author Topic: Love the New Look  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Love the New Look
« on: July 25, 2002, 07:16:25 AM »
Kudoos to all involved. . like the pics at the top and the darker grey colors. .  ;D
Julia99

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Love the New Look
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 10:03:10 AM »
I can't make up my mind.  The black is certainly striking and will eliminate the problem in choosing which colors will show up against which background.  I'm not sure about "our info" at the top as opposed to the side.  It might just take getting used to.

But - I find it a bit awkward to tell one post from the next.  In fact, it seems that the "personal info" for the next poster appears right with the signature part of the previous one.  The alternating colors we had before made it instantly obvious.  Perhaps you could use this black and then a dark gray for contrast.
Josette

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2002, 10:11:14 AM »
I don't like this new style where everything is horizontal. :'(

It was so beautiful the way before :-[

but the colors are fine - a bit dark - but fine.l

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2002, 05:24:47 AM »
Congrats to Midnite and MB for getting the archives up! I had been trying to enter the forums all day and just wasn't able to get through and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Now I know what you two were up to!  ;) I love the new look and thanks for your dedication to the forum!

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2002, 05:39:08 AM »
But - I find it a bit awkward to tell one post from the next.  In fact, it seems that the "personal info" for the next poster appears right with the signature part of the previous one.  The alternating colors we had before made it instantly obvious.  Perhaps you could use this black and then a dark gray for contrast.

Very much agreed. I do find this harder to differentiate items. Personally, I kinda preferred the old way, but then I'm an old fart. ;)

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 09:29:18 AM »
There seems to be a very major change to the actual posting.  On Monday I missed the show and copied Robservations (if you'll recall my recent post about keeping my mother and her roommate up-to-date).  Actually, I have a separate question about the pictures, but I'll get to that some other time.

Anyway, I wanted to copy something today - and - it won't copy anything any more!!  At least Robservations is on the SciFi Board, too, so if I need that I can get it.  Today there was something funny I wanted to remember for my mother and aunt, and so planned to copy it to have it available.

Just to see, I tried Robservations and one or two other things, and it's impossible to copy the text any more.
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 02:35:44 PM »
There seems to be a very major change to the actual posting...Anyway, I wanted to copy something today - and - it won't copy anything any more!!

Yeah, I noticed that too. I can't highlight any text from the board and copy it unless I do Reply and then highlight and copy it from the buffer.

I can highlight and copy the text using Netscape at work, but it's a moot point since Netscape at work won't allow me to post to the forum. All I get for a message field is a little square that doesn't allow any type to be input.

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2002, 09:13:15 PM »
I'll explain.  The change in the way the talk boards display was initially an accident that occurred when the archive was readied to debut, and as MysteriousB set out to correct it, some posters were saying they liked the new look so it was held off, but now, obviously, we see that not everyone likes it.  So we talked about it, and it looks like we're leaning toward putting it back the way it was, but for now MB is up to the eyeballs in getting the archives to work for everyone, so I have to ask for your patience in waiting for the look of the discussion boards to get top priority again.

One of the reasons that the Members' Archives sat for some time up until their debut is that MB spent a lot of time and energy tweaking them until they were as secure as they can get so that fans will feel comfortable sharing their material, and we're very proud of its security features.  Did I mention that the material in the archives is very secure? ;)  Anyway, because the script intended for the archives was inadvertently uploaded for the discussion boards-- as I mentioned above-- the result is that you're not able to C & P.  So once again, I can only ask that you be patient until these boards can be changed back.

I
I can highlight and copy the text using Netscape at work, but it's a moot point since Netscape at work won't allow me to post to the forum. All I get for a message field is a little square that doesn't allow any type to be input.

That's what occurs with old versions of Netscape, but an update will take care of that, Mark, I puh-romise!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2002, 10:56:16 PM »
I'll explain.  The change in the way the talk boards display was initially an accident that occurred when the archive was readied to debut, and as MysteriousB set out to correct it, some posters were saying they liked the new look so it was held off, but now, obviously, we see that not everyone likes it.  So we talked about it, and it looks like we're leaning toward putting it back the way it was, but for now MB is up to the eyeballs in getting the archives to work for everyone, so I have to ask for your patience in waiting for the look of the discussion boards to get top priority again.

Personally, I'm torn. I really, really love the new look. But I really hate not being able to see which posts I have already read. HOWEVER, I have been around long enough to trust MB to get it all straightened out to everyone's satisfaction. I am in awe of the skill and thought that goes into making this the BEST DS board anywhere.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2002, 11:01:25 PM »
I don't like this new style where everything is horizontal. :'(

It was so beautiful the way before :-[

but the colors are fine - a bit dark - but fine.l

Perankh, I have to ask you how you got that way cool avatar? Who is it in the alter image? And while I am being inquisitive, I am assuming that the others pics are of you. Are you an actor? Regardless, thank you for giving these eyes something that fine to look upon.... ;)
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton