Author Topic: House of Grayson in Architectural Digest  (Read 965 times)

ClaudeNorth

House of Grayson in Architectural Digest
« on: July 23, 2002, 09:45:26 AM »
Hi!

Recently, I was in a used bookstore that had a nice selection of back issues of "Architectural Digest."  Happily, I came across the January 1983 issue, which includes photographs of Wildercliff, the Hudson River Valley home of Grayson and Sam Hall.  Mr. and Mrs. Hall are not featured in any of the photographs, but I can easily imagine La Grayson inhabiting the place.

Regards,

John

Offline MrsJ

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: House of Grayson in Architectural Digest
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 05:56:09 PM »
Yes, I've seen the article also...quite a grand house indeed.  I have an audio taped interview of GH in which she mentions the house being featured in the article.
Love what they named the place...wonder if it was coincidental   ;)

MrsJ.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2002, 06:03:34 PM »
The photos are also available on the JULIAlist for those interested. . its a nice place. . i used to live near it when I was a nanny. . .YES for those of you who've met me I was a nanny. . .anyway .. I do believe the house was named that prior to the Hall's occupancy. . .strangely ironic isn't it?
Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 11:11:30 PM »
Hi John,

I just love that article about Grayson and Sam's country home.  Incidentally, there was a followup about what the same decorator (Harrison Cultra) did with their New York apartment--I believe this was the Sept. or Oct. 1983 issue.  For this number, a scene in the Halls' apartment made the COVER of the magazine.  The essay, which had been planned as a showcase of Cultra's skills, became a memorial to him as he passed away very suddenly in the Summer of 1983.

Yes, it is true that the house was named Wildercliff when it was first built in the late Eighteenth century---if you can believe it, in the 1790's.  Talk about coincidence.

"Windcliff" was a house in an Edith Wharton novel.  It was also the name of an actual estate in the Hudson Valley area--can't recall just now whether it was in Dutchess or Columbia County.  If the house still exists, I believe it is now a ruin.

Steve

thom

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2002, 07:51:33 AM »
OMG I still have that issue from 83! The pic of their house overlooking the Hudson River was awesome and they obviously had great taste. I"m glad I saved that one - and all the ones about Hollywood past and New York theater actors' pads as well - great collectors items I hope. Sad image on one of them of the twin towers set in a glimmering sunlight.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 09:46:16 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for the tip on the follow-up article about the Hall's apartment. The bookstore had every issue from 1983, so I will definitely go back and get it.

John