Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0825  (Read 1470 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0825
« on: July 17, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0825
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 01:32:15 AM »
The standoff continues somewhat, but Petofi finally gives in and a confused Barnabas is free and he and Quentin leave the lair.  Unfortunately there is another Tate sighting and he is going on and on about his dream girl.  Will he paw her to death when he actually meets her?   
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 12:03:57 AM »
Thank goodness Magda got there when she did or Beth would have been a goner.

I'm glad that Quentin was able to bluff Petofi into releasing Barnabas. What I don't understand is why he would want no harm to come to Petofi once Barnabas was free...seems to me, Barnabas is right, their problems would be over, or at least easier to solve, if Petofi was gotten rid of once and for all.

Now, unfortunately, Magda is back into the hands of the gypsies. Those gypsies are very brave, to break into someone's home without fear of getting caught. Guess it shows you how determined...and how ticked off...King Johnny was to get Magda back in his grasp.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:31:59 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Quentin's plan worked! Count Petofi released Barnabas. Barnabas and Quentin promised him that they would not tell the gypsies about him.
2. Magda found Beth and magically knew exactly what herbs to use as an antidote. Beth's life was saved!
3. Tate told Petofi that Amanda's face appeared to him in a dream.
4. Istvan found and recaptured Magda.
5. Barnabas told Beth that he would release her, because he realized that she belonged with Quentin and didn't want to come between them.

There was a major blooper in this episode when Magda clenched the gag in her teeth while Istvan was trying to tie it. [signerror]

I really like the scene when Quentin's face was seen through Count Petofi's clock. [ghost_cheesy] You could cut the tension with a knife during the confrontation scenes. [ghost_shocked] Count Petofi waited until the last moment before he gave in. Quentin was so calm, cool, and collected because he had nothing to lose.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Yes, indeed, it was very curious how Magda was able to smell the glass and know immediately what Beth took, and she just happened to have the antidote. Lucky for Beth! Beth certainly recovered quickly, didn't she? [ghost_wink]

It was great when Beth felt so bad and Barnabas made her feel better by releasing her and telling her she did nothing wrong.  [ghost_smiley]

What was the harm in Tate letting Petofi keep the sketch of Amanda? After all, there were thousands of others.  [ghost_undecided]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »
I find it a trifle odd that Barnabas says he wishes he could get back into the good graces of the family and that doing so would make his job so much easier.   Yet, who's left that would really care about his being a vampire?  Judith is away at a sanitarium, Edward thinks he's a butler, Charity fancies herself a dance hall performer, Jamison is possessed by the spirit of David Collins, and Quentin and Beth are already allies of Barnabas and would welcome him in with open arms.  That leaves only the oily Reverend Trask and I hardly think he poses much of a threat to Barnabas (maybe it's little blabbermouth Nora he's really concerned about  [ghost_wink]).

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »
The plastic champagne glass was cheesy.  I know Petofi was to crush it, but with all the pretty cognac glasses available, he looked like he was about to see Barnabas off with a wedding toast.

Speaking of drinks, I could swear that Beth polished hers off in the last ep, but I guess there needed to be some brandy left in her glass so that Magda could smell it.  But I can't say I found Magda's discovery "curious" or magical as EmeraldRose did because some poisons, such as the narcotic hemlock, do have distinctive odors, and herbal antidotes and/or emetics were used effectively back then-- provided, in the example of poison hemlock, not enough of the poison had been absorbed to affect the victim's respiratory system.

Unfortunately there is another Tate sighting and he is going on and on about his dream girl.  Will he paw her to death when he actually meets her?

Snort.  Wow, he got uncomfortably close to the stand with the pretty clock.

Petofi seemed to intimate very, very strongly to him that Amanda was a prostitute.

What was the harm in Tate letting Petofi keep the sketch of Amanda? After all, there were thousands of others.  [ghost_undecided]

Because Petofi is evil and powerful, and Tate both hates and fears him, and he witnessed Petofi doing something to the painting of Quentin?

That leaves only the oily Reverend Trask and I hardly think he poses much of a threat to Barnabas

I think Trask plus a crucifix would be anathema to a Barnabas who can't disappear, and the odds of Trask having a cross handy are probably really good.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »
I like how Magda tells Beth she'll give a lying fortune-telling session to Charity, but soon after that says to Beth that she would "know" it if Quentin had died.  And she expects Beth to believe her?  And I was amused by the carefully planted line about Magda's "gypsy herbs" curing Beth.  Maybe Magda had some herbs in her pockets for emergencies (did Grayson Hall say to herself, "I'm playing Magda, not Julia, so I'd better be careful not to slip in a line about a sedative"?) or maybe she raided the Collinwood medicine cabinet.

The plastic champagne glass was cheesy.  I know Petofi was to crush it, but with all the pretty cognac glasses available, he looked like he was about to see Barnabas off with a wedding toast.
The execution was undeniably cheesy, but I liked the idea, with the added thought that Petofi's hand, unlike a normal hand, would not be harmed by the shards.

Petofi seemed to intimate very, very strongly to him that Amanda was a prostitute.
Yes, that was interesting.  Tate's been dreaming for two years about this beautiful woman, and now he's told she's a trollop!  Meanwhile, of course, according to what we heard in earlier episodes, droves of women have been fawning over Tate, and I'm guessing he hasn't been keeping himself pure for his dream girl.  But of course that's different.