Author Topic: EW screws Dark Shadows again  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: EW screws Dark Shadows again
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:35:27 AM »
When it comes to things like what's said in the preview issues vs. what the reviews might say, it not like the magazine speaks with one mind. Most often the person who wrote up the blurbs for a movie/TV show for the preview issue isn't the same person who later reviewed it. I actually love when EW has two critics present opposing views of a movie or TV show because quite frequently they have you wondering how two people could see the same thing so differently, like they were watching completely different movies or shows. But then, no one has to tell us that people think differently because we frequently see the same thing right here on the forum.  [ghost_wink]

I haven't even heard of around half those shows.

There's only one show that I've never heard of, and that's THE VENTURE BROTHERS - but I never watch the Cartoon Network. And the only other show that I never watched was GET A LIFE, but I was aware of it.

One show that I was thrilled to see on the list was PROFIT. I loved that show, and it was canceled way too early. But it was way ahead of its time...

I'm beyond in love with PUSHING DAISIES and BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER[thumb]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 04:19:58 AM »
I believe this top 30 list by in June, 2007 of the TV Guide Names "the Top Cult Shows Ever" (an article I believe previously discussed here) appears to be more credible than EW's article at hand-at least Dark Shadows and Star Trek were included. I'll await to see if EW explains its list and/or a public outcry develops.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/top-cult-shows-40239.aspx

Offline nightshadows342

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Fan Videos
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 05:47:38 AM »
Another thing they do that irks me is, like nightshadow said, they contradict themselves all the time. In a movie preview issue they'll print how great upcoming releases are, and then review them and trash them like they knew all along they weren't great 3 or 4 months later.

The writers and editors there desperately want to be hipsters and it shows.

Exactly!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this!  And the stuff they promote sometimes...oh man, I wouldn't spend two cents to see.  They are a magazine that is trying to sell to a general audience- they're more about prophet than actually reporting the goods.

However, you know, there's a good and bad to every story.  I do like some of their articles they print-- but some of those reviewers just need to go.  I don't think they are qualified.
Dark Shadows Fan Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/scareolyn

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 07:08:29 AM »
You know these magazine surveys are BS to me. They are looking to sell their mags and coming up with the most outlandish crap and are aimed at an audience that will buy their magazine. Who is to say what the best cult show was? Who knows? My favorite show is Mister Ed. But that's my opinion. These surveys attempt to convince the greater public that this is it - It's a done deal, no matter who thinks what. Bah! Current events. I'm not up on my current events. Cult shows? Yeah, Dark Shadows is definitely a cult show. Let me clarify this. (atta boy, Luther!) Cult = following.
I just watch what I like. I nearly fell to the floor last weekend when my favorite episode of Jack Benny came on. I don't give a hoot what Entertaiment Weekly has to say about Jack, because I know he isn't in their best interest. But he's in mine and I enjoy him. And vaudville is still alive. Too bad there aren't any magazines to cellebrate that.
2 Thumbs down to EW.

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
Looks like no one over 30 works at that rag, which explains why so many shows from the 50s-80s were left out!

True.  You would think entertainment writers would be interested in the history of whatever medium they specialize in. 

Charles, you know you should try writing for one of these magazines providing background on shows. You'd be marvelous. [ghost_smiley]

Nancy

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 09:32:09 PM »
I have been reading EW since the very first issue and I used to look forward to it arriving in the mail every week. Sure, it has always celebrated pop culture, but the articles were well-written and I could spend several days going through a single issue. Now, for the first time, I am seriously considering NOT renewing my subscription when that time rolls around. These days I am usually done with an issue within fifteen minutes and the writing is nothing but snark and always seems to be about reality TV. You would think a major entertainment magazine would give some serious coverage to GUDING LIGHT going off the air after all these decades, but EW rarely acknowledges soap operas and I guess, in their eyes, the demise of GL is no great loss. They have also cut back on their coverage of live theater and literature. I guess the Internet has made it hard on weekly magazines like EW and the TV GUIDE (another magazine that seems to be barely scrapping by these days) to dazzle and inform the public - I must confess I check the EW website several times a day and by the time I receive the magazine, most of the news is old news. In other words, I guess I am just as much a part of the problem as the magazine itself. However, there is NO excuse for their writers to have no knowledge of TV programs or films that exist before the year 2000!

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 02:12:35 AM »
Markybo, I'm also considering ending my subscription. 

Nancy, you made my day!  This is for you: [cheer] [thewave] [cheerleader]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »
I just noticed this follow up to the original list:

17 All-Time Great Cult TV Shows You Say We Missed

DS, ST, The Avengers, etc.-- now that's more like it.

Also included, er, not-included-but-acknowledged-after-fans-pointed-out-the-omission is Adrian Paul's Highlander series.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »
Some excellent additions to the list. And can I just say that I love Love LOVE Wonderfalls - but then, that was quite obvious to some of you because of one of my past avatars/sigs.

(And I'm not sure if I should be ashamed or not, but I've never heard of The Might Boosh.)