Author Topic: A Strange Question Perhaps..........is Barnabas sexy?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: A Strange Question Perhaps..........is Barnabas sexy?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2002, 09:00:23 AM »
I'll have to go along with Perankh, here.  If one analyzes specific features, he wouldn't seem to be a candidate for sexiness.  But, the whole package definitely is!!!
Josette

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2002, 10:38:27 AM »
I'll have to go along with Perankh, here.  If one analyzes specific features, he wouldn't seem to be a candidate for sexiness.  But, the whole package definitely is!!!

amen!! :D

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2002, 10:39:31 AM »
Why is this question "mostly for the ladies"? Now, Perankh, you've offended me! (Just kidding!)  :P

Is Jonathan Frid sexy? When I was buying all those 16 and Tiger Beat magazines (solely for the DS articles, you understand... certainly not for all those hot and sweaty pin ups of Davy Jones and Sajid Kahn!) I must admit I snickered every time that I saw this "older" man sharing the cover with these teeny bopper/ 20 somethings. With pin ups of Frid on every other page, I was almost tempted to share the mags with my dear old granny. I think, even then, seeing Frid in the unnaturally posed photographs and noting what looked like the grimmacing face of a man afraid, I imagined that Frid must be just as uncomfortable in these mags as Barnabas often was when he was stammering for his next line. One magazine featured Frid, in full Barnabas mode, in about 8 to 10 full color pix, "menacing" a young hippie couple (who were clearly laughing during the shoot), giving the entire spread a sort of "two's company, three's a crowd" comedic look. It was as if grandpa had caught the young'uns kissing goodnight and was about to throttle the hippie boy with his cane.

Still, to all those teenage girls (that I didn't understand then and understand even less today) and all those naked housewives who sent such photos of themselves to Frid, I have to admit that on several occasions I found the character of Barnabas giving me a.... thrill, of sorts. (I'm too embarrassed to tell you which scenes, though.)

But, in general, when I think of DS I usually don't think of sexy people. I think, many of us considered the Collins' our second family outside of the harsh daily reality of growing up in the late 60s/ early 70s. And, apart from a brief crush on a cousin (who had come in all sweaty and hot from mowing the lawn), I don't usually think "sexy" when I think of "family". So, I have to stretch real hard to find someone on DS that I (personally) find "sexy".

Still, "Claude North"  beat me to the punch here when he mentioned the tight bell hop suit that Brian Sturdivant wears in Mr. Best's waiting room.  Now, THAT was sexy! :-*

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2002, 10:51:15 AM »
Why is this question "mostly for the ladies"? Now, Perankh, you've offended me! (Just kidding!)  :P

because most men are homophobes and are not willing to discuss other mens' desirability. :-/

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2002, 11:11:23 AM »
Barnabas does have this sexy edge to him that i have always liked.I love that gaze he gives Julia sometimes and the innocent look he throws out when he is questioning someone.He is tall(i have always liked that),Dark, and a gentleman.So yes, he is sexy.

P.S.Perankh....my brother thinks Barnabas is sexy also.-----Sorry homophobes!!!!

-Adra ;)

P.S.S.--Barnabas could have bitten me anyday
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2002, 11:15:31 AM »

because most men are homophobes and are not willing to discuss other mens' desirability.  

While I hope that "most" men (in general) are not homophobes, here in this forum I think this is certainly not the case. And conversely, if a man is not willing to discuss other mens' desirability, I don't think that necessarily makes him a homophobe. JMO.  :)

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2002, 11:23:16 AM »
well - i mean - if a guy can't even say if asked that another man is nice looking - he is homophobic.

Thats all - if he is hot, then why not say it?  There is only 1 reason

Connie

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2002, 12:50:19 PM »
Barnabas does have this sexy edge to him that i have always liked.

My contribution for today...

"I'm too sexy for my clothes, too sexy for my nose,
ah, and heaven knows...
I'm too sexy for my hat, more sexy than a bat,
what d'ya think about that."

-CLC   ;)

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2002, 04:06:51 PM »
I thought he was sexy but then I was already thirty when I started watching DS.

I like rugged older fellows.  I loved Clint Eastwood in "The Bridges of Madison County".  My girlfriend thought they should have cast a younger man in that role, but then she is the one who thought Don Briscoe was the cat's meow.  We were the same age, she liked the younger fellows.

It was terribly embarrassing to buy teen magazines in local stores to get DS pictures.  Small town USA.

Puts me in mind of old codgers buying Playboy.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tanis

There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2002, 04:41:56 PM »
Connie,  
                I love it.  You cracked me up this morning.  Is Frid sexy, hard to say.  He does have appeal, but I don't know if sexy is the word I would use.  Do love the voice.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2002, 04:46:30 PM »
Thought of something else.

"I'll take a Sixteen magazine in a plain brown wrapper please."

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2002, 08:52:18 PM »
for me my dears... the reason barnabas is soooo sexy is because he is such a snappy dresser.  i'm sorry guys the jeans dragging down your legs or the messy t-shirts just don't work for me.

the cape is also very attractive.  observe how he carries himself about with his cane.  not in a "dandy" way either.  smooth as glass and elegant.

also, he is quite romantic.  the way in which he speaks.  always polite.  a very deep voice.  the penetrating eyes.  you know he wants you.  

but ulimately it's the ring he wears.  i just luv that ring.

well .... that's why barnabas is sexy.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2002, 10:27:22 PM »
Just a few quick comments-- nobody is forced to answer within any topic if they don't want to, and conversely, anybody that wants to add their opinion to a topic has always been welcome to do so regardless of their sex or sexual preference.  And please, let's not put labels on each other.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2002, 11:54:51 PM »
Like several others here I do like Frid's voice.  That's why his one man shows work so well - along with his skill as an actor he needs nothing more on that stage than a the voice, the microphone and a stool (hey, give him a break he's almost 78 he deserves to sit down even if he isn't tired!)  ;D

As to DS sex appeal I'll have to say I'm more interested in the likes of Selby, Briscoe and Karlen.   :-*
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2002, 12:16:24 AM »
:oIs Barnabas sexy???? In a word-----YES.  But then, I was one of those "crazies" back in the 60's who bought those magazines (disguised, of course). You're not alone, Tanis!!!
                             Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!