Author Topic: Jonathan Frid in Arsenic & Old Lace  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid in Arsenic & Old Lace
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 06:32:54 AM »
I'm only interested in stating facts and not attaching anything personal to it.  I only care that fans don't get themselves into trouble when all they want is a product to enjoy.  Who wouldn't want this?

Those of us who go into the New York area for fests and attend shows have heard and read that announcement many times that no photos or video is to be taken during the show.  So it should come as no surprise to learn that selling the shows that have that before-the-lights-go-down warning is illegal.  This is a fact.  

Fans have secretly videotaped theatrical productions for a very long time.  They then swap or share the production for a nominal fee because they want to share the production, not make a profit off it.  The latter point is important because charging a high amount of money for the bootleg is what gets the legal community excited and makes it harder for fans who only want to share goodies with other fans.

Even actors who have been in Broadway productions usually cannot get a copy of their performance.  I know because I tried getting a copy of Arsenic and Old Lace for Jonathan back when he was doing the show. Couldn't do it.  Even if a copy was made for the "production staff's own use" then that tells you the copy was not supposed to go beyond the production staff.  

I have worked in intellectual property and entertainment law long enough to know that stating facts isn't libel or slander.  They are facts devoid of any emotional or personal feeling.  If the facts don't please use, they don't cease becoming facts and transform into libel or slander.  

But, Bob, nothing that I have said should surprise you as I have had to ask you several times not to sell copies of Jonathan's shows that were videotaped by a fan or for his own use.  Again, that is a fact.  It wasn't yours to sell.  I, and also Jonathan, have made copies of his one-man shows for a nominal fee, usually $10 or $15 to pay for production costs and royalty fees.  The idea was to give fans something special they could not otherwise (legally) obtain.  I would not dream, for example, of charging $39.00 on ebay for JF's one man shows when they are mine to put up on ebay.  

I've always admired fans like Guy Haines, Dave Brown and others who have in the past created DS products and special memories on videotape and charged nominal fees to cover their expenses and maybe enough to go buy dinner just to share with fans.  I learned from their examples when figuring out what to charge for JF's one man shows.

I'm sorry if my fact-finding and statements have upset you, Bob, but I can't alter the facts.  If you choose to put yourself at risk even after knowing the facts, that's is your choice.  I want others who aren't aware of the copyright laws to have the information in order to make their own decisions when obtaining something they think other fans would like to have.

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 06:50:16 AM »
Whoops! I wasn't clear about something in my previous post -

You CAN RESELL an authorized copy of a show such as the Frid shows we put up for sale the past three years. 

nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 08:37:49 AM »
No, he doesn't and at this juncture, no one else does either.  If the video were "legal" Actors Equity and other entities representing talent and crew would be collecting the appropriate royalties based on a contract drawn up for the sale and distribution of the video.
 [ghost_cool]
No such thing is in place at this time.  The unions would know about it.   [ghost_smiley]  

it's possible that he actually does have legal permission to do so.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 03:30:59 AM »
Forgive my bluntless, but this strikes me as a case of someone having too much time on their hands..

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »
Certainly everyone has the right to form their own opinions, but the only persons obligated to read all posts in every topic are the board moderators, so if a discussion isn't to a visitor's liking, s/he needn't read it.