Author Topic: Willie's Raw Deal  (Read 1052 times)

Old Salt

Willie's Raw Deal
« on: January 22, 2002, 07:38:07 PM »
Originally posted by Old Salt on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 22, 2002 at 13:38:07:

I wonder if Barnabas has thought about one very important problem that Willie's absence is going to create? -- Now who is going to do all the housework?
Sorry Barnabas, but Willie spends many hours a day keeping the cobwebs and dust out of the Old House.
I can't see Barnabas putting on the apron and dusting the chandleiers. And those suite Barnabas wears, always cleaned and pressed. Housework is time consuming and quite humbling. It also has a tendency to cramp one's style.
Well, at least Barnabas doesn't have to worry about cooking and doing dishes.
Poor Willie. Barnabas's influence changed him for the better, but Willie's services were far beyond the call of duty.
If anything ( as Barnabas hinted to when talking to Julie in the secret room) Willie saved him.
Good Day.
Brian

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Willie's Raw Deal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 10:46:22 PM »
Posted by kuanyin on January 22, 2002 at 16:46:32:
In Reply to: Willie's Raw Deal posted by Old Salt on January 22, 2002 at 13:38:07:

As someone who just spent yesterday cleaning, I have to agree with you. When I told my kids "we" were going to clean, one of them asked who was coming over. Sigh.

Yes, good help with zombie-like loyalty is hard to get.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 11:16:29 PM »
Posted by Birdie on January 22, 2002 at 17:16:29:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Raw Deal posted by kuanyin on January 22, 2002 at 16:46:32:

As someone who just spent yesterday cleaning, I have to agree with you. When I told my kids "we" were going to clean, one of them asked who was coming over. Sigh.

Yes, good help with zombie-like loyalty is hard to get.

Hey, I need Willie here! My house is way out of control. I had family staying with me for a week because of a family emergancy. Not to mention a house full of 13 year olds for a birthday sleepover. I can't believe I am thankful for the snow, they were able to go sledding in the backyard. We have a nice hill for it. I had to take my oldest back to college today. Tomorrow it is back to work. Oh well, as my sisters says "A clean house is a sign of a misspent life".

Another thing who is going to protect Barney during the day.

Birdie---I would truly appreciate Willie unlike someone we know
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2002, 02:28:50 AM »
Posted by Julia99 on January 22, 2002 at 20:28:50:
In Reply to: Willie's Raw Deal posted by Old Salt on January 22, 2002 at 13:38:07:

Ohh please, you know he's already checked the kitchen for Julia's new apron. . .fix my blood, hyptonize those that threaten me and by the way scrub this kitchen floor. . . ::she shudders--thinks to herself, well if it will keep my alive a bit longer, perhaps I can hypnotize Vickie to clean. . .::

Julia99
Julia99

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 04:07:40 PM »
Posted by Gerard on January 23, 2002 at 10:07:40:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Raw Deal posted by Julia99 on January 22, 2002 at 20:28:50:

Ohh please, you know he's already checked the kitchen for Julia's new apron. . .fix my blood, hyptonize those that threaten me and by the way scrub this kitchen floor. . . ::she shudders--thinks to herself, well if it will keep my alive a bit longer, perhaps I can hypnotize Vickie to clean. . .::

Yes, I, too, always figured that Julia picked up the feather-duster after Willie went off to recuperate. Indeed, she was a doctor with profound knowledge of many medical things, from psychiatry to blood conditions, but those were the sixties, and all the letters behind the name could not save women from the domestic duties expected of them.

Deleted scene from DS:

Barnabas: (Grabs Julia by the shoulders) Doctor, now that Willie's gone, you know what must be done!

Julia: Barnabas, I...I...

Barnabas: When are you going to stop being a doctor, and start being a...a...WOMAN?

Julia: I don't know what you mean, Barnabas!

Barnabas: (Hands her a spray can of Pledge).

Gerard
P.S. Does anyone know what John Karlen did in real life whilst Willie wiled away the time getting all better in Wyndcliffe?

Offline mfmdpt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 05:57:29 PM »
Posted by Mfmiozza on January 23, 2002 at 11:57:29:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Raw Deal posted by Birdie on January 22, 2002 at 17:16:29:

Oh well, as my sisters says "A clean house is a sign of a misspent life".

Ha! I love that Birdie - especially considering that my house seems to look like a cyclone blew through it more often lately than it ever used to. It seems like I find the time to do everything BUT keep it as straight as I should. But thanks to your sisters, I now have the perfect excuse - LOL!

Getting back to DS, one thing that I always found fascinating is that, as good a job as Willie has done restoring things, the Old House foyer and drawing room weren't about to be appearing in an issue of House Beautiful any time soon, yet once the storyline shifts back to 1968 from 1795/96, those two rooms have been completely restored, despite the fact that time was suspended at Collinwood,

Of course we realize that the Old House sets were refurbished for the 1795/96 storyline, but I don't quite know how it could have been explained in 1968. And of course, they never even attempt to explain it. ;)

Hmmm... Maybe while plotting Julia's death, fearing exposure, and yearning for Sarah, Barnabas still found the time to hire a contractor to restore the Old House and explain to them exactly what he wanted done. In his mad dash to stop the seance, Barnabas forgot to lock the Old House door, and the contractors arrived and let themselves in during the seance. And even though we didn't actually see them doing the work, they worked at such an extremely fast pace, that once time resumed in 1968 (in Ep #461), they were able to complete the job before we next saw the Old House interiors (in Ep #463). (And, hey, that might even explain where that ugly carving of the figure at the bottom of the foyer stairs disappeared to - Barnabas gave it to the contractor for a job *extremely* well done! LOL!)
Sure, that must be it. ;)
Too bad we don't know the name of that contractor because if they're still in business, I know quite a few people who'd like to hire them rather than hire the usual type of contractor who promises that a job will get done within a certain length of time but it NEVER actually does - LOL!

Another thing who is going to protect Barney during the day.

It's probably safe to say that task falls to Julia. After all, being the Renaissance woman that she is, Julia can easily balance guarding Barnabas while also developing her cure and supposedly researching her book. ;)
"I give in to sin because you have to make this life livable." - Depeche Mode (Strangelove)

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2002, 02:02:44 PM »
Posted by Julian on January 24, 2002 at 08:02:44:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Raw Deal posted by Gerard on January 23, 2002 at 10:07:40:

I was just wondering today why they had to put Willie in an oxygen tent. Was that standard practice for coma patients?? Or were we just more naive then?

Julian

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2002, 10:01:00 PM »
Posted by Midnite on January 24, 2002 at 16:01:00:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Raw Deal posted by Julian on January 24, 2002 at 08:02:44:

I was just wondering today why they had to put Willie in an oxygen tent. Was that standard practice for coma patients?? Or were we just more naive then?

One explanation could be that the oxygen tent provided the opportunity for an extra to take Karlen's place. ;)

But seriously, the oxygen really would have been called for. He would've needed it to compensate for the blood loss, not to mention whatever damage was done by 5 shots to his back, which probably included his lungs. Those things also humidified the oxygen to make breathing easier. Nowadays the same treatment is administered through a mask or breathing tube, though tents are still used on rare occasions.

THANK GOODNESS they had the good sense to not show anyone lighting up a cigarette in the same room as all that oxygen gas!