Author Topic: Do you know what time it is...? DS LABYRINTH....  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Do you know what time it is...? DS LABYRINTH....
« on: July 16, 2002, 04:48:46 AM »
Yup, that's right...Chapter 9 of DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS is now posted for your approval.

NEW! Chapter 9
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth09.htm

Chapter 8
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth08.htm

Chapter 7
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/labyrinth07.htm

Trivia note: One of the secondary characters in my WWII novel, BLUE DEVIL ISLAND, is named Collins (and he's from Maine); there's an oblique reference in this chapter that could connect the two, if one were so inclined to make the leap.

Enjoy.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know what time it is...? DS LABYRINTH....
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 05:07:23 AM »
I thought I detected a Hawthorne influence on page 1, Chapter 1 (the description of Collinwood reminiscent of Hawthorne's personifications of the House of the Seven Gables) -- now I know it wasn't "just me"!

Now I think I'll have to re-read "Rappaccini's Daughter" --- just to get the images out of my mind from the godawful movie version "Tales of Terror" or whatever it was.

Wish I could provide more useful comments, but I've only finished Chapter 2.  Was thrilled to find out about Quentin's portrait though!

This serialization format is a very Dickensian experience!

:)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2002, 05:39:55 AM »
AAAAAWWWWW!!!! Poor Carolyn!!!!  :'( That's so sad -- and yet, so good! ^______^ "But for God's sake, don't touch her!" LOL and *le cry* at the same time. Poor Carolyn! That's so creepy. Sounds like that movie where you pass on the possession of Satan by touching people ... wasn't that a movie? Yeah, anyway, sounds like that. EEEEEEEEE WRITE MORE!!!  ;D [thumb] [rollr] [nuts] ... O, and [madan] GRRRR SHAME ON KARSWELL FOR LETTING THE XIANGES OUT!!!! He reminds me of: [crazd] LOL [scrm] Shame on him!! Tsk tsk tsk!

Anyway, SOOO GOOD!!!!!!!! WRITE MORE!!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE [liteye] [greed]!! [crazy] Did I thank you for writing this much at all?? [hello] THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! [hello]

now write more!!!!!

[smokn] [angl2]

~Daphneeeeeeee, who waits happily ^____^
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline HobbiesDS

• Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2002, 06:40:40 AM »
8)

Thanks for sharing this with us!  I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I've been printing out the chapters so I can read it as soon as I get a chance!  

I think it's great your taking the time to write additional chapters and share this with us!!  

HobbiesDS

HobbiesDS

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2002, 07:09:43 AM »
Yup, that's right...Chapter 9 of DARK SHADOWS: THE LABYRINTH OF SOULS is now posted for your approval.

OH YEAH!!!!! A NEW CHAPTER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Mark ;D

Connie

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 10:01:58 AM »
Mark,
This story is just so delicious, I'm at a loss for words.  The moods evoked, the graceful weaving of words, and the in-depth portrayal of the characters is breathtaking.  (Literally)  
It's a joy to be able to read present-time Quentin as he should be written - sensitive, compassionate, tortured, sad - someone with more than a nodding acquaintence with life.

The new neighbor -- his manner, his speech patterns -- if that son-of-a-bitch isn't who I THINK he is, then my name is Grandma Moses.

This chapter left me chilled to the bone.  Your talent for building suspense is nothing less than masterful.
Bravo.

Your devoted fan,
Connie

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 06:10:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mark!  You are weaving a tale as complex and magical as Ariadne's web.  Wonderful work.  I chuckled at the Keziah Mason reference--Lovecraft would have been pleased, I'm sure.

If "Dr. Karswell" is who I think he is, Quentin and Julia should be soundly scolded for not recognizing him.  His appearance may have changed but those chilling, distorted eyes are a dead (?) giveaway.

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 08:07:38 PM »
Hurray!  Thanks.  Just got back from visiting the in-laws on Cape Cod.  What a nice treat to return to  ;D

Franimal

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2002, 12:44:33 AM »
Dear Mark,  I spotted a couple of odd statements in Dr. Karswell's big speech to Julia.  Ra, not Osiris, was the Egyptian sun god, and Moloch if memory served was worshipped by the Carthaginians, a people I would certainly hesitate to describe as "Hebraic."

But I suppose these idiosyncracies add to the character's sinister approach to theological erudition.

That creature, the Xianges (boy, that's not like any Sumerian word I've ever come across) seems VERY Fungi from Yuggoth.  Brrrrrr!

Steve

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2002, 01:22:39 AM »
Dear Mark,  I spotted a couple of odd statements in Dr. Karswell's big speech to Julia.  Ra, not Osiris, was the Egyptian sun god, and Moloch if memory served was worshipped by the Carthaginians, a people I would certainly hesitate to describe as "Hebraic."

Gothick -- Heh, this is why writers really do need editors. Regarding Osiris, this actually should read "Ra"; I was inserting several references in this passage, a number of which I ended up deleting; I realized I had two Egyptian figures and deleted the name Ra, but left his description -- and left the name of Osiris, but deleted his description! And I read over this passage about five times without catching it. Thanks -- and I'll make the appropriate alteration.

However, Moloch (a.ka. Molech or Melech), was a divinity worshipped by idolotrous Israelites. The name Moloch means "king," and in different places in the Old Testament, it is occasionally used to refer to a human ruler rather than the deity. Solomon is thought to have originally erected a statue to the god Moloch, whose trademark was the sacrifice of young children and the burning of their bodies.

That creature, the Xianges (boy, that's not like any Sumerian word I've ever come across) seems VERY Fungi from Yuggoth.  Brrrrrr!

Xianges is strictly a fabricated word; it isn't actually supposed to be a Sumerian word -- it's the thing's name in its own rightful dimension. The only existing reference to such a creature, in the context of the story (apart from Karswell's personal deduction regarding its appearance in Revelation), is supposed to be in Sumerian mythology (although this too is a complete fabrication). That's not clear in the story, I see, so I might recompose that section.

The initial appearance of the Xianges -- as well as its name -- is taken directly from a dream I had a couple of years ago, which was letter for letter the way it unfolds in the story. It was pretty creepy. The Yuggothian analogy is certainly apt. ;)

Good catch; since this is all first-draft quality, I will be the first to admit, in the absence of a real editor, that a second eye is always valuable.

[shadow=blue,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2002, 04:19:52 AM »
I am enjoying this story very much.. thank you for another chapter of wonderful reading..
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2002, 06:30:48 AM »

a second eye is always valuable.

[shadow=blue,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Just think what Nick Danger  must charge, then, the Mook! 8)

Thanky for the continuing saga!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2002, 11:58:04 AM »
Mark, These stories are just fantastic!! I love how fast you come through for us who just can't wait to continue reading on!  Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Keep em coming!! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2002, 12:15:32 PM »
I snuck in a reading of this latest chapter at work, and was so mesmerized, I forgot to answer the phone!  Who wants to do work when something this fantastic is waiting to be read?

Keep those chapters coming, Mark!

Love, Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2002, 04:54:36 PM »
I'm actually on vacation right now, but getting the occasional chance to get on-line so I can make sure I don't miss Mark's posting of the chapters.

I am NOT reading each chapter (except for the first three) as Mark posts them.  So what am I doing?  I print them off without peeking and am keeping them altogether in a binder until we have received his entire work of art, and then I shall sit with either that Skyy Curacao martini or Stoli Vanil Black Russian (I haven't decided which yet) and enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed until HarperCollins and Dan Curtis Productions had their hissy fits over who got what money and this fantastic novel did not end up between glossy illustrated covers.  Of course, that means I have to be careful about reading everyone's posts regarding it so I don't end up with any spoilers.

Gerard