Author Topic: Another New Slideshow  (Read 41094 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Slideshow
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »
Midnite posted some photos of her 2004 trip to Beechwood in this post:
DS Sightseeing
(You might even recognize a certain someone in the first photo in the topic.  [wink2])

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2011, 06:09:25 AM »
Gawd.

Just to attempt to establish that I'm not a complete amnesiac,I don't think I tagged along for the trip to Beechwood/Scarborough--that, I think I'd remember.  I do have a vague memory of the lovely meeting in the restaurant.

Given how very vague these memories of events that happened only 7 years ago are, I have a lot more sympathy for some of the DS stars who say they can't recall anything about shooting the series!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2011, 06:52:05 AM »
Gothick, Guy and I made the side trip to Scarborough on the way to meet up again with you and the rest of our group in Tarrytown.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2011, 04:51:16 AM »
Just have to say how much I love, love, love that image of Grayson with Dennis Patrick.  It's really funny to think of what they were shooting in Leviathan just a few weeks before they did this scene.

Julia Hoffman, Queen of the Big Hair Red Hot Mamas!  Go grrrl!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »
did they do grayson's hair differently for the movie?

i don't EVER recall her hair being that big on the series.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2011, 10:40:36 PM »
Here's the capture:

And as I've often said on the forum, I swear Julia's hair was inspired by this:

[lghy]  But particularly in later scenes in the film.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2011, 01:59:10 AM »
[lghy]  But particularly in later scenes in the film.

So cruel...you know I actually think that is her real hair (though fans joke about her bad wig)...obviously  Edith did catch Grayson after after she awoke from catnaps.
Julia99

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
No intention of trying to be cruel - just showing the possible inspiration.  [wink2]

One thing's for sure, regardless of what anyone may think of Julia's hair in the film, I honestly believe all would agree that it's infinitely better than the football helmet wig. Talking about cruel - forcing Grayson to wear THAT was cruel!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2011, 02:52:44 AM »
If it's not too much bother, just to whom was Professor Stokes speaking in today's never filmed quote?

I'd guess the Sheriff...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
Unfortunately, I've not a clue who Stokes was speaking to. The quote must come from some early version of the script because it doesn't appear in DC's script. It doesn't even appear in the novelization.

The only thing I do know is that the scene the quote is taken from took place during the costume party after Julia tried in Scene 107 to pin down Barnabas to set a time when they could get together to talk about the "original" Barnabas' supposed memoir and before Barnabas started to talk to Maggie in the library in Scene 109. In DC's script the scene that the quote must have come from is replaced by a 3/11/70 revision that features Stokes talking to Liz and Barnabas (and as it is all three of those scenes ended up on the cutting room floor).

Perhaps the version of the scene featuring Stokes' quote also featured Liz, Barn and Stokes - but that's merely a guess...

Here's a link to what I originally wrote about the quote:

Today's quote comes from yet another scene that was apparently completely reworked because...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »
Thanks, MB.  Again, I really wish the costume party sequence had been the length originally planned!  Ah well...

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2011, 11:56:55 PM »
Today's scene from hoDS provides one of the few moments where the feature film actually evokes the mood of the original.  Candles flare before Josette's musty portrait, her music box plays on the soundtrack counterpointed by Frid's melancholic, richly upholstered tones; the dialogue speaks of eternal love, eternal life.  And only seconds the later the scene shifts to a moment of hysterical, brutal, pointlessly provoked carnage.  It's definitely a moment that pinpoints why so many veteran fans were so disappointed in the movie.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2011, 05:18:20 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, Gothick. And it's worth noting that the scene as it appears in the movie is a rewrite that was added on 4/27/70 (more than a month into shooting), and the original version possessed none of the mood of the rewrite. It was a scene that took place in the basement of the Old House with no mention of eternal life and eternal love or appearance of the music box - just Barnabas and Willie arguing, Carolyn arriving and arguing, and Barnabas attacking and demanding Carolyn be taken away. Violence and gore, pure and simple. And considering that that's what's stressed throughout most of the movie, it seems like a miracle that the rewrite was not only added to the script, but that it actually made it into the final cut of the movie.

Here's the capture/quote:

hoDS: Scene #113 - Barnabas: 'I went to her that night and
offered her eternal life, eternal love.'

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
I was in the mood this a.m. to watch some hoDS, mainly to look at setting details and such, so I popped in my trusty VHS recording of the film (taken from the Laserdisc release).  One detail I noticed this time around I don't recall having made note of in prior viewings is that when Maggie goes into David's bedroom, it looks as if there is this small mirror on a stand rigged to one of the posts of the bottom area of the bedstead.  The small rectangular mirror, if that's what it is, appears to be angled towards the closet.  In the original sequence, Maggie walks to the closet and sees David hanging from a noose (not sure about the action, if any, beyond that).  If what I am looking at is indeed a photographer's mirror, it would have been set up on that rig to assist in accomplishing one of the shots in the "hanging David" scene.

I just love little details like this...

I have to say I thought it was really unfair that Lela Swift did not get a credit for her work as DC's unofficial AD. Someone named Gerrity gets official credit as the AD, and Trevor Williams (I think) appears a production designer, but no sign of Lela.

G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2011, 12:45:12 AM »
Ooh, the yummy Mr. Briscoe is featured in the slideshow today! Thank you!!!