Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0810  (Read 2183 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0810
« on: June 26, 2009, 11:59:40 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0810
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:06:21 AM »
The reenactment is lighted as a night scene unlike  in the previous episode.  It is prettier. I guess they are trying to make it more sexier for the continuation of the scene between Quentin and Charity. 
Aristede primping in front of the mirror is too funny and then Magda catches  him.  I hated Aristede as a child when he seemed to be scary, but now I hate him because of his loud and stilted line delievery.    Jenny has come to save the day.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:48:27 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Quentin used the Trask/Hanley confession to blackmail Charity into not telling Trask about his secret.
2. 1st time we saw Mrs. Fillmore make an appearance at Collinwood; also, I belive it's the first time we heard that Quentin's daughter's name was Lenore. Mrs. Fillmore told Quentin that Lenore was sick.
3. Magda told Aristede that Tim had the hand, and Aristede cautioned Magda not to tell Barnabas about the connection between Aristede and Count Petofi.
4. Charity mentioned Christmas twice! Now that's a rare occurrence! [ghost_wink]
5. Magda told Quentin about Aristede's medallion, and Quentin took it away from him. But when they placed it around Lenore's neck, it didn't work.
6. Magda tried to summon Julianka to help Lenore, but Jenny appeared instead! [shkdg]
7. Aristede told Magda to use her wiles to locate Tim. Then Magda very deftly questioned Charity and found out that he probably went to San Francisco and there was a lead when Charity said she had the address for Tim's best friend, Steve Simmons. [ideag]

I found it curious that Quentin was threatening to kill Charity if she told anybody his secret. But then later, after he stopped her from calling the police and she threatened to tell her father, he just stood there and tried to reason with her. It's clear that his bark was worse than his bite! He didn't really mean that he would kill her, he was just backed into a corner. Fortunately for Quentin, Charity believed his threats. [whew]

I found it very comical when Aristede was admiring himself in the mirror as Magda entered the room. I love her comment to him. He's just as bad as Quentin - if not worse! Aristede almost gave himself and Jamison/Petofi away when told her, "WE... I cannot" (go out and find Tim and the Hand). But Magda figured it out! [thumb]

Ooh! Quentin sure was sexy when he sarcastically came on to Charity! [luv]

It was both heartwarming and heartbreaking to watch Quentin and Magda be so devoted to Lenore's well being. I was quite touched when Magda said she would gladly die if it would save Lenore. Quentin was quite dashing when he fought Aristede for the medallion. That was an exciting fight! Of course, Quentin, being taller and stronger, won! [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:17:04 PM »
In a fight scene, I keep waiting for someone to hit a wall, and send all the DS sets falling like dominoes.   (After which, when all the sets are in ruins and stagehands stand there like deer-in-headlights, I'd love to hear:  Dum-dum-DUM!!! ... then a commercial!)  Those are some pretty confined spaces.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 11:21:51 AM »
[lghy]   [rofl10]   [stfl]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »
Now I get why Barnabas could not hypnotize Aristede.  The pendant gives protection from not only witches and warlocks but also "unnatural spirits," vampires included.  But apparently it does not protect the wearer from werewolves, assuming he had it on him when he was attacked.  Hmm.

Mrs. Fillmore said Lenore had a high fever and is now in a coma, similar to what happened to her twin.  That's a bit of revisionism since according to Magda in #798, Lenore's brother...
was well this afternoon, playing in the nursery, but this evening, Mrs. Fillmore heard a scream, ran to his bed and he was dead--cold, very cold in his crib--she said it was as if he had been dead a long time before.
No mention of a fever, and no coma.

The dancing girl is now officially the dancing lady.  After Quentin arrives at the mill, we can see the end of the set wall behind Aristede, and a stage hand and a camera through the opening.  Stroka seems to have hit the chair pretty hard when he went down during the fight.

The multi-colored afghan has made its way into Mrs. Fillmore's home and is under Lenore's crib, whereas it was on Tessie's deathbed in the previous ep.  The set for the room shown has been used a number of times, most recently as Worthington Hall II, and also as Seaview house:
(MB's screen grab from #298)

Mrs. Fillmore's fireplace, otoh, was in 1795 Trask's room:
(also MB's from #440)

The reenactment is lighted as a night scene unlike  in the previous episode.  It is prettier. I guess they are trying to make it more sexier for the continuation of the scene between Quentin and Charity.

Yes, and creepier, but also confusing.  If it's morning, why all the shadows?

Aristede primping in front of the mirror is too funny and then Magda catches  him.

"Did you send for me so there would be two of us to admire you?"  lol

Aristede cautioned Magda not to tell Barnabas about the connection between Aristede and Count Petofi.

Well, Barnabas knows they are working together; he was aware that Jamison/Petofi summoned Aristede to the Old House.  What he doesn't know is that Magda has had her moment of truth, and that J/P & A have ordered her to learn his new coffin location and report it back to them.

I found it curious that Quentin was threatening to kill Charity if she told anybody his secret. But then later, after he stopped her from calling the police and she threatened to tell her father, he just stood there and tried to reason with her. It's clear that his bark was worse than his bite! He didn't really mean that he would kill her, he was just backed into a corner. Fortunately for Quentin, Charity believed his threats. [whew]

Can anyone be sure if Quentin would've gone through with killing Charity or not?  We have the voiceover telling us that Quentin knew he had to keep her from telling his secret to anyone "no matter what the cost."  And he knows he's capable of murdering someone with his bare hands.

But two things have changed by the time we get to this scene-- Charity says she is going to tell on him regardless, and Quentin knows that physical threats are no longer necessary because he now has the signed confession to use as blackmail, especially after she confirms for him that Gregory really did sign it and attempted to destroy it.  Before, he told her that she would be killed if she told anyone, but now he informs her that if she tells, he'll tell too, and so her actions will lead to the deaths of 3 other people including her father.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:02:37 PM »
"Why all the shadows?"  Well, they don't call it Dark Shadows for nothing!   [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:49:02 PM »
 [6184]  ;D

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Poor dumb, gullible Charity. She still refuses to believe that her "man of God" father Gregory could possibly have had anything to do with her mother's death despite the confession and the fact that it keeps appearing and reappearing, which should have been a clue to her that might have been something to it.

Then she condemns Quentin for murdering despite the fact he was a werewolf during the times he killed those women and that doesn't matter to her. Her self-righteousness is getting quite tedious at this point.

I believed Quentin WOULD go through his threat to kill her...he's already proved he's capable of murder, in human form when [spoiler] he strangled Jenny. [/spoiler] Fortunately, there was no need once he got his hands on the confession...that was enough to shut her up.

Loved the fight scene between Quentin and Aristede. I loved watching Quentin kick his butt, great payback for [spoiler] Aristede tying him up under that pendelum and leaving him to die. [/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
Poor dumb, gullible Charity. She still refuses to believe that her "man of God" father Gregory could possibly have had anything to do with her mother's death despite the confession and the fact that it keeps appearing and reappearing, which should have been a clue to her that might have been something to it.
I don't think confession's multiple reappearances are proof that it contains the truth.  But I was interested to see how completely Charity swallowed her father's story.  Maybe it had something to do with her learning that Quentin's the werewolf.  The world's just gone crazy, so she needs someone to believe in, and at least she has no solid proof that her father murdered her mother - just a confession that doesn't have to be true.

So Tim Shaw's best friend at school was Steve Simmons?  I thought it was Rachel.  And now Steve is working for a bank in Worcester.  Worcester's always been a mystery to me.  Why would anybody want to live there?  Oh, well, I suppose at least it's better than Worthington Hall.

Magda loves her niece Lenore now, whereas a few episodes ago she said gypsies don't prize girls.  I guess that with the boy gone, Lenore sort of grew on her without her realizing it until it was too late.

These days I keep hearing people calling Magda "gypsy".  Gypsy this, gypsy that.  I start to get annoyed with the writers, and then I think: "No, this is how it is for Magda, and this is why Jenny wanted out."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
But I was interested to see how completely Charity swallowed her father's story.  Maybe it had something to do with her learning that Quentin's the werewolf.  The world's just gone crazy, so she needs someone to believe in, and at least she has no solid proof that her father murdered her mother - just a confession that doesn't have to be true.

I'm sure Greg had cultivated a mental landscape for Charity to live in which was basically a cult of personality around him.   Hardly anyone in this world is willing to question the deepest foundations of her/his perceived existence.   Questioning her father's morality and actions would have seemed almost as unthinkable as questioning God's.   That's a line you don't cross.   Piety of human beings is measured by how much faith you have, to Trask and God, since the line was blurred by him.    Not having enough faith to put aside supposed evidence against her father would be seen by Charity as a failure on her part.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »
In fact, Magnus, Trask did lambaste Charity for her lack of faith a few episodes ago when she, quite upset, showed him the confession.  She completely accepted what he said, and she said as an excuse that as he knew, she hadn't been herself lately.  Now I'm starting to think that right now would be the point when, having learned the horrible secret of Quentin, on whom she had apparently had such a giant crush, she would be open to the idea of anybody at all having a horrible secret, and she would start wondering about her father's unusually explosive reaction.  But it can go both ways, I guess.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 06:43:51 AM »
People can be so desperate not to have their internal world turned upside down that they'll deny what's happening right in front of them.