Author Topic: Serendipity - A Man Named Stokes  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Serendipity - A Man Named Stokes
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »
I'm helping a friend with a project at her office.  I was just introduced to someone whose first name is Stokes.  He's in his early thirties.  I said "Stokes - that's an unusual name."

His response: "Yeah, my mother was a big fan of "Dark Shadows" a show that was popular when she was growing up. 

"Oh, really? I watched Dark Shadows too.  Loved Barnabas."

"Thank God she didn't name me after him!"

nancy

Offline MaggieEvans

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Serendipity - A Man Named Stokes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »
Okay, honestly, if I had to name a child either Barnabas or Stokes, I'd choose Barnabas every time. But, that's just me.

This reminds me though... my friend Linda was a DS fan, and she says she named her daughter after a DS character, Sheila. My memory must not be what it used to be, because I can't think of a "Sheila" in Dark Shadows. Help?
Have you ever had the sensation of being stared at? Like somebody was staring at you and you couldn't see them? Because I just had that feeling now. Somebody was looking at me. Looking right through me.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »
A DS fan & friend named her daughter Victoria. Daughter doesn't like the name so she goes by 'Tori'.

Cable man shows up and he sees my DS video on the coffee table and says, "Oh, my mother-in-law loved that show and named my wife Angelique. I resisted all temptation to play on Ange's rep re: his wife. Could have had a field day with it!

Way back when, I was dead set on naming my children Cassandra, Magda, & Quentin - didn't happen, lol.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
my friend Linda was a DS fan, and she says she named her daughter after a DS character, Sheila. My memory must not be what it used to be, because I can't think of a "Sheila" in Dark Shadows. Help?

The DS Almanac states that Vicki's name was originally going to be Sheila March, the source being Shadows on the Wall.  Don't remember that from SotW, however; it says the baby was dropped off in March, but that she was named after the season and not the month.  Anyway, that's the only Sheila I recall.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:50 PM »
I have met several people whose names were Angelique and Josette.  When I had a chance to inquire, it turned out they were named for characters on DS.

Offline MaggieEvans

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:40:20 PM »
I tried to get my old roommate to name her new kitten Josette, so I could name my new kitten Barnabas, but she wouldn't, so my new kitten (who is now 12 1/2 years old) is Charles for Charlie Chaplin. I am as avid a Chaplin fan as I am a DS fan. And, thinking back, Charles just fits my cat.

I am one who named their child after someone in a soap opera, but my choice was to name my daughter Holly after Holly Thorpe on the Guiding Light.
Have you ever had the sensation of being stared at? Like somebody was staring at you and you couldn't see them? Because I just had that feeling now. Somebody was looking at me. Looking right through me.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:45 PM »
I like the name Victoria and I also like Angelique but I would probably not give my child a very unusual name from a popular movie or TV show.  I definitely would not name  my son Barnabas.  A child I grew up with was named "Olive" and tormented by other kids being called Olive Oyle (From Popeye).  My friend did not appreciate the name association.

nancy