Author Topic: Barney  (Read 932 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Barney
« on: January 19, 2002, 04:06:21 PM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 19, 2002 at 10:06:21:

I must admit I would appreciate this dark version of Barnabas a lot more if he wasn't so stupid! It is a shame that they are making him so obtuse. If David has been in the secret spot of the mausoleum, then he KNOWS ABOUT ME (huh? how does one prove the other?) and has to die. If Maggie's memory is returning, then she HAS to die. Then Sarah plays her little tune and he goes all to pieces. For one thing, if Sarah was such a little angel who loved him SO MUCH and would NEVER betray him, then why does he instantly conclude that she told David about him?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline MrsJ

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Barney
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2002, 05:08:36 PM »
Originally posted by MrsJ on January 19, 2002 at 11:08:36:
In Reply to: Barney posted by kuanyin on January 19, 2002 at 10:06:21:

I must admit I would appreciate this dark version of Barnabas a lot more if he wasn't so stupid!

LOL! It's too bad, but they really didn't make him any more "insightful" as time went on, either.

For one thing, if Sarah was such a little angel who loved him SO MUCH and would NEVER betray him, then why does he instantly conclude that she told David about him?

Because he is paranoid (not that he doesn't have the right to be). So many opportunities for character development nixed in favor of plot advancement...and not just in Barnabas' case. Julia is another prime example (where did she come from, and why in Heaven's name did she fall for someone who treats her like dirt?) Roger, too, (IMO) had a great deal of untapped potential (why does he always fall for the "wrong"
woman (lol), how does he deal with being under big sister's thumb all of his life, and why is he closer to his niece than he is to his own son?)

MrsJ.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2002, 11:35:59 AM »
Originally posted by Ben on January 20, 2002 at 05:35:59:
In Reply to: Barney posted by kuanyin on January 19, 2002 at 10:06:21:

I must admit I would appreciate this dark version of Barnabas a lot more if he wasn't so stupid! It is a shame that they are making him so obtuse. If David has been in the secret spot of the mausoleum, then he KNOWS ABOUT ME (huh? how does one prove the other?) and has to die. If Maggie's memory is returning, then she HAS to die. Then Sarah plays her little tune and he goes all to pieces. For one thing, if Sarah was such a little angel who loved him SO MUCH and would NEVER betray him, then why does he instantly conclude that she told David about him?

The human Barnabas of the upcoming 1795 storyline was intelligent, rational, trusting, and kind. But the horrific events of 1795 -- betrayals, losses, a curse, death, initiation into the eternal undead, rejection by his family, and being chained in his coffin for 175 years -- left him paranoid about everyone and everything. Three harsh lessons that this intelligent, gentle man learned were: (1) trust no one; (2) always anticipate the worst; and (3) the worst will come sooner than later.

I don't think the Barnabas of 1967 was stupid. For example, he brilliantly manipulated Vicki into sympathizing with him for being investigated by Burke. But all too often, his paranoia clouded his intelligence and led to a series of rash, impulsive actions. He remained intelligent, but his emotions left him short-sighted.

There are times when Julia and Willie persist in reasoning with him to talk him out of one of his schemes, and we sometimes see Barnabas smart enough to come around to their viewpoint.

But there are also times, I admit -- albeit a few -- where Barnabas just dropped the ball. Not having a better alibi about his family in England, as well as what he does during the day, are two instances where I just roll my eyes.

Ben

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:09:57 PM »
The human Barnabas of the upcoming 1795 storyline was intelligent, rational, trusting, and kind. But the horrific events of 1795 -- betrayals, losses, a curse, death, initiation into the eternal undead, rejection by his family, and being chained in his coffin for 175 years -- left him paranoid about everyone and everything. Three harsh lessons that this intelligent, gentle man learned were: (1) trust no one; (2) always anticipate the worst; and (3) the worst will come sooner than later.

I don't think the Barnabas of 1967 was stupid. For example, he brilliantly manipulated Vicki into sympathizing with him for being investigated by Burke. But all too often, his paranoia clouded his intelligence and led to a series of rash, impulsive actions. He remained intelligent, but his emotions left him short-sighted.

There are times when Julia and Willie persist in reasoning with him to talk him out of one of his schemes, and we sometimes see Barnabas smart enough to come around to their viewpoint.

But there are also times, I admit -- albeit a few -- where Barnabas just dropped the ball. Not having a better alibi about his family in England, as well as what he does during the day, are two instances where I just roll my eyes.

I agree with 100 percent on this. Barnabas wasn't stupid, but he was so paranoid almost all the time it consumed him, causing him to make rash decisions and putting those decisions into action sometimes. Also when he's painted into a corner he has a tendency to make unwise decisions [spoiler]like deciding to use Maggie for the life force for Adam's mate or wanting to kill David when he didn't really know for sure that Sarah had told the boy all about him[/spoiler] or do foolish things without really thinking things through [spoiler]like killing Carl.[/spoiler]

The horrific events of 1795 (not to mention being chained in a coffin for 172 years!) really screwed up Barnabas to the point that he couldn't completely trust anybody or feel completely secure for any long lengths of time. So even though I don't approve of some of his ill-thought actions or decisions at times, nevertheless I still feel a great deal of sympathy for him.