Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0780  (Read 5703 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: Discuss - Ep #0780
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 04:57:00 AM »
Excellent, excellent post, Magnus. Really perceptive on how Trask's hypocracy and viewof himself and his actions actually function.

Every time I see this episode, it appears to me that Barnabas did not intend to kill Carl when he did.  Maybe he planned to kill Carl after making sure Carl hadn't spilt the beans to anybody - but that's speculative.  Of course Barnabas wasn't about to admit to Quentin that he had just made a stupid mistake, so he let Quentin believe that Carl's death was deliberate.

I really like this idea, Lydia.  I don't remember ever considering it in that light, but it works well to explain Barnabas' action without him having to be a complete fool.  As has been pointed out, it was a foolish thing to do before finding out who, if anyone else now knew.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »
That is a good idea, Lydia.   Also the protracted inaction and tension and danger of someday being found out (from 1967 and 1897) might have been building up to something, and it was like a spring being let out of a box.   Thanks, Jeannie.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »
Also the protracted inaction and tension and danger of someday being found out (from 1967 and 1897) might have been building up to something, and it was like a spring being let out of a box.
I like this idea a lot, Magnus.

As for Trask's inner hypocrisy in his desire to help Carl...I'm less convinced than you are.  The tone of Trask's inner voice (as I remember it two days later) just wasn't the standard Trask that we know and hate.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 01:45:54 AM »
I'm continually stunned by what good actors people in everyday life are, especially when they don't believe they're playing a part but believe in the images they're trying to project to others.    Compassion is a [crucial pasrt of GT's self-image.   Without it, his legitimacy falls apart, interanally as well as externally, and all his actions would come racing at him without his usual rightous insulation from them.

Also, I think this area is just a personal interest for him.   It's his version of tinkering at the workbench in the basement.   He doesn't need to care abouyt the people involved, battling evil is fun.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor