Author Topic: From Scary Monsters 70: My Tribute to Forry Ackerman References DS  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: From Scary Monsters 70: My Tribute to Forry Ackerman References DS
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 01:10:14 AM »
Now I'm really getting depressed!  When I was living in Alaska, our local cable provider picked up Sci-Fi from the very first day it hit the airwaves.  When was that - '91? - '92?  Something like that.  It was such a good network back then, airing not only our beloved DS, but so many other old, classic TV sci-fi/horror programs, along with great classic movies, documentaries, those wonderful little vinettes, and network-produced shows.  What depresses me is that I really have to wrack my brain to remember those shows, like Sci-Fi Trader.  At first, I had no recollection of it, but when I forced the cells between my ears to function, I then recalled it.  There was another Sci-Fi program I liked to watch - Trailer Park I think it was called.  It showed the old trailers from classic (and not so classic) horror and sci-fi movies that appeared in theaters.  But so much of the original, enjoyable (and some not so enjoyable) programs produced by Sci-Fi, which I watched religiously, are now muddled or even lost in my memory.  Despite its bump-and-grind in its first few years, Sci-Fi was a really classy cable network.  Now it's so schlecky and I rarely watch it anymore, save for an occasional thing or two.  And what's a shame to me, is that it's so difficult for me to remember anymore how good it use to be.

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: From Scary Monsters 70: My Tribute to Forry Ackerman References DS
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 06:28:18 AM »
I didn't have it personally.  However, my grandmother had a satellite and I finally discovered they were airing DS along with all kinds of old vintage stuff. I would stay many weekends with her and watch it.  She was such a cool grandmother.  Bless her heart. She had severe back problems and was usually up all night.  When DS aired in the early morning she would tape it for me.  About the time it aired around 8 am she would tape it and then try and get some sleep.  What a cool Grandmother she was. :) I still miss her 9 years later.  I remember getting to watch Manimal, The Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man, The Invisible Man and The Gemini Man and I loved all that stuff.  I still wish to the heavens SMDM and TBW would come out on DVD.  There is some problem with who owns the latter two. That is why they haven't been released yet. There are bootlegs and it's tempting but I don't like to support such companies.  Plus I want the real deal!

I DESPISE most of what is on Sci Fi now. I have heard Battlestar is good, however, there movies are BEYOND horrendous with HORRID special effects! UGH!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/