Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0751  (Read 3553 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0751
« on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0751
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:21:39 AM »
Quentin's first werewolf episode was certainly exciting! It's amazing how DS writers can write a werewolf episode and not have a werewolf in any of the scenes.

Trask's conversations with the women who work at the school at this point in the storyline really repulse me, more than later on. It seems fitting that the only young woman to love Trask is named Dorcas!  [easter_wink]

I don't see why Rachel doesn't just tell someone, even Beth, that Trask is denying Jamison food. You'd think that Jamison's wellfare would over-ride any crime that Rachel may or may not committed in the past. [sad3]
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:16:37 PM »
I was thinking the same thing about Rachel, but then she had tried in the past to warn the Collins family about Trask and they didn't seem that interested in believing her.  Edward seemed to only want the children out of the way of Laura and he seems to be the final authority on what is done with them.  Rachel doesn't seem all that bright as she should realize that Trask never went to the police in the past when she ran away so there must be a reason and that the attention it might bring from the authorities would be bad for the school's reputation.
How desperate for attention must Dorcas be to fawn all over that discusting Trask. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »
People will often cross any boundary for guaranteed entrance into heaven.  Cult leaders count on that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:19:43 AM »

The teaser is from different angle this time, but seems essentially the same scene. It also seems like TC did the voiceover again.

Talk about timing. Of all nights for Rachel to run over to Collinwood to tell them about Trask mistreating Jamison it has to be tonight.  No one around but the writhing in pain Quentin.  And we find out the family doctor is named Pendleton and his number is Collinsport 319.   

BOO HISS Trask and Dorcas the snitch.  Trask admitting that Rachel awakes “animal instincts” in him. The next line about elevated feelings does cause a snicker after that.  Ominous that he intends to keep Rachel there, no matter what, until his feelings cease.  Anyone else feel slimed by his comments all through the episode?     [toothy1]

And now we cut to Beth’s wrecked room, with no sign of Quentin.  Now we see the crying Beth who’s going to be the status quo.  Rachel is back to being Rachel, asking nosy questions and complaining about not understanding the Collins and their secrets.  And here’s Beth telling Rachel that she would be a Collins “one day” as she and Quentin were going away together before he got sick. Then again, although the rest of the explanations Rachel wanted weren’t all that necessary, maybe that was, since she told her she left Quentin on the bed in her room.

This is the Trask gross out episode.  That whole scene on the phone with Rachel “when two people are very close they always know each others whereabouts……”  EWWWWWWWWWWWW.  The hints we are getting in this episode are just screaming  sexual predator.  This added to the confession he made that he was punishing Jamison for something he didn’t do, to teach him humility.  OH Rachel is such a moron, telling Trask what she intends to do.  She should have gone to the Collins quietly behind his back, and let Trask be blindsided. [ghost_wacko]

Noises in a wooded area, doesn’t occur to anyone that animals live in the woods?  Why would it necessarily be a person?  EWW but it enables Trask to find Rachel.  Doesn’t it EVER occur to Rachel to run away and get on a train somewhere? It’s not like they had the FBI in those days – she could have headed out west and gone where no one had ever heard of the Trasks or Collinwood.  I agree with alwaysdavid who says that Rachel should figure out that Trask is bluffing.  If she got far enough away, he'd never be able to track her down.  It's only because she stayed close that he found her again.  DUMB! [ghost_huh]

Beth is desperate, calling Evan must be one of her last resorts.  Do we know what she may or may not know about Quentin and Evan’s little experiments with the dark arts?

And what is wrong with Rachel, managing to be found over Dorcas’s dead body?  She ‘s a disaster magnet.

Ripped Shirt alert  [ghost_grin] – here’s  Quentin sprawled out in the foyer, soiled face and clothes covered with blood – and no memory of anything that’s happened since he was in Beth’s room. 

Jeannie (who has finally learned her lesson after losing a post on ep 750 and writes these in word, then copies over)

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:28:29 AM »
I'm about 10 eps behind the WP, but RobinV and the Program Guide list KLS as the opening speaker.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:46:18 AM »
I am behind as well but I am working on it.  I have some notes to jot down though.... [ghost_blink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »
OK, I feel better now.  I'm only about as far behind as everyone else.  I'm still griping though about the looong detailed post I was doing on #750 at the beginning of the week (before work got me) then 5 min from the end of the ep I start adding something and somehow hit such a wrong key on this laptop that I wiped the ENTIRE multiscreen detailed post!   [sad6] [8311] [8311].  Took me a few days to have the ambition to go back and watch AGAIN.

OOPS! on my mistake on the voice over.  Maybe I should think again about trying to do this cold without checking any reference materials. 

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:27:11 AM »
I personally watch the show with a legal pad in hand.  I like to jot what comes to mind.  I try to edit it live and post.  I watched about 8 episodes today and hope to get the others watched tomorrow and then I am gonna be postin like a mad man.......I have missed this project.  It's good for my psyche to have this to come to everyday. Yeah I am a dork, what of it??  ;) LOL
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 05:16:36 AM »
Oh, it's highly cool to keep notes as you go, though yellow 14" long paper is not a necessity (did lawyers decide that was valuable for some reason?)...  I try to annoy people whenever possible, by making such notes and making them available to a possibly unreceptive public via this wonderful Internet thingie.

Wherever I go on this Earth, people thank me for this act of generosity.  Well to be frank, not really.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 08:18:37 PM »
Dorcas and Dirk should get together.  And raise a little Dork of their own.

"Righteous cruelty" ... isn't that an oxymoron?

Collinwood seems to have a mind of its own here, what with its front doors refusing to close and the phone appearing on the foyer table as soon as it's needed for an emergency.

Why was Rachel so surprised to hear Trask's voice on the phone?  I can't imagine who else would be looking for her.  It's not like they had telemarketers in 1897.  And why take the call in the first place if she thought nobody knew she was there?  (Like Beth before, Rachel refers to her former employers here by their first names instead of Mr. Edward and Miss Judith.)

The presence in the woods made the sound of human footsteps, so perhaps that's why Rachel didn't consider it might be an animal.

Barnabas is obsessively interested in the welfare of Quentin, whose otherwise healthy wife recently dropped dead, and she happened to be the beloved sister-in-law of his housemates who happen to be gypsies, and said gypsies are terribly grief-stricken, so you'd think Barn would be all over it, right?  But no, he's entertaining Edward, and whom do you suppose did the cooking for THAT untimely little dinner party?

Maybe I should think again about trying to do this cold without checking any reference materials.
There's a link to the corresponding Robservation in the main topic for each ep.  [ghost_smiley]

Ripped Shirt alert  [ghost_grin]
Nipple alert!  [ghost_happy]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 08:41:25 PM »
The comments in this thread are especially FANTASTIC.

Doesn’t it EVER occur to Rachel to run away and get on a train somewhere? It’s not like they had the FBI in those days – she could have headed out west and gone where no one had ever heard of the Trasks or Collinwood.  I agree with alwaysdavid who says that Rachel should figure out that Trask is bluffing.  If she got far enough away, he'd never be able to track her down.  It's only because she stayed close that he found her again.  DUMB! [ghost_huh]

Wasn't that covered before?-- that the carriage out of town was more than she could afford, and her only possession of value was the brooch but it would only get her as far as Boston.  And that was when the Collinses were paying her, whereas Trask seems to be pulling every trick he can to withhold her wages, like he did before to both Tim and Rachel so that they had to steal what was due to them in order to leave.  I'm sure he did/does it on purpose to prevent Rachel from leaving.  Trask is nothing if not obsessed with her, and he sees her as his property.

Her reasons for staying make for a hokey story, intended to have us see Rachel as a hapless victim.  Unfortunately, she's also annoying.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:58:40 AM »
Wasn't that covered before?-- that the carriage out of town was more than she could afford, and her only possession of value was the brooch but it would only get her as far as Boston?  ....Her reasons for staying make for a hokey story, intended to have us see Rachel as a hapless victim.  Unfortunately, she's also annoying.

I was really thinking more when she first ran away, but was probably fuzzy in how I put it.  Knowing Trask was looking for them, it would have made sense for her to run as far as she could on whatever she had right then. I'm probably relating that to the slightly similar escape in Jane Eyre, where, after finding out about Rochester's mad wife meaning their marriage was off, and refusing  to stay with Rochester without marriage, Jane went as far as her money lasted: somewhere where no one knew of her or of Rochester or any other backstory. Then again, I also think I'm remembering her coming back from Boston(?) with Edward.  What the heck would have possessed her to even INTERVIEW for a post so near to Trask as Collinwood is implied as being, after getting that far away?  Not to mention those "excellent references" that Edward somehow checked.  [scratch2] [confused5]

Yeah Rachel as hapless victim: anyone got a railroad track they don't need right now?   One Damsel in Distress, coming up.  [crazy]

Jeannie

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
I suppose it's a good thing that the writers were consistent when they placed Rachel in Boston after the first time she ran away and then said it was only as far as what little she had could get her the next time she tried.

Maybe she allowed herself to return to the vicinity of Trask's school because she overestimated her own strength, or thought being in the employ of the Collins family would afford her some protection?

Geezus, do I really have to [spoiler]put up with her for another month?!  [rleyeb][/spoiler]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 12:57:31 AM »
It's yet another case of a character whose internal logic  behind their actions stretches credulity like a rubber band.  [ghost_wacko]

Re: your spoiler. Thats how I feel about Vicky in 1795.  But at least she started out smart and competant, unlike our Rachel.

Jeannie