Author Topic: Twilight vs. DS article  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: Twilight vs. DS article
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 04:36:44 AM »
hey she put a hot picture of quentin there didn't read too much else after i saw that!

LMAO the picture of Quentin was much more entertaining than the article.  Trust me.  [naughty]  Funny thing is, this is the first time i noticed that this shot has him wearing a ruffled poet shirt more suited to the Georgian Period -- or the court of Charles II.

As to Twilight:  Haven't read the books or seen the movie.  However, friends of mine whose reading tastes tend to dovetail with mine tried to read the books -- and gave up out of boredom due to the pace and predictable characters.  Given the size of my to be read stacks already, I decided to give them a pass.

LOL MaggieEvans, I agree completely: Vampires DON'T Sparkle!  That sound you heard was probably Bram Stoker rolling over in his grave.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »
I like Twilight! It's a different take and a lot of fun. The first book I had a hard time getting into.  The second, I read in two days and I am working on the third!

I would  akin the vampires  in Twillight to godlike!  That is how I perceive them!  That is why the sparkly thing is fine with me.  However, I do have fun with it.  I have a shirt that says, "BUFFY STAKES EDWARD!  THE END!"  All the Twiheads almost die when I walk around in it.  LOL It's great to see them gasp.  And several people are like RIGHT ON! 

All this aside I enjoy the latest take on the vampire lore in the Twillight verse and True Blood verse as well!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »
I like Twilight! It's a different take and a lot of fun. The first book I had a hard time getting into.  The second, I read in two days and I am working on the third!

I have a shirt that says, "BUFFY STAKES EDWARD!  THE END!"  All the Twiheads almost die when I walk around in it.  LOL It's great to see them gasp.  And several people are like RIGHT ON! 

That's the same book that made my friends give up on the series, so apparently its a common problem.   [ghost_wink]  Maybe I'll give it a try -- once I find the planet with 96 hour days and whittle down the gravity defying to be read stacks.

LOL on the Tshirt.  As we've discussed before in various eps on Watching Project, if you can't have a sense of humor about a show or movie and it's characters, why bother?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 12:56:50 AM »
You are too funny with your t-shirt!  [ghost_cheesy]

I am currently listening to Dracula and have to say that if I read/listened to this before Dark Shadows, I don't think I would have been that enthusiastic about watching the show. The vampire in this story is downright creepy with NO redeeming qualities whatsoever.  I am so glad Jonathan Frid portrayed Barnabas as he did!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 03:43:08 AM »
I enjoy vampires in all their incarnations mostly.  They are just fascinating! And I have said a million times Barnabas had a lot to do with the whole reluctant vampire craze that has filled our pop culture lexicon ever since the days of DS!

The shirt is quite cut! :) LOL
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »
I tried reading "Twilight" and couldn't get into it, though the movie was OK. LOVE the True Blood series though, and have read all 10 books the show is based on and completely enjoyed them. Still think Frid did it best though-a compassionate vampire! You gotta love him!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
Agree with you rainingwolf. Just recently finished watching season 1 of True Blood and those vampires were nasty business.  So much so I can't imagine why people romanticize vampires at all.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 05:48:41 AM »
i like the different take on the vampires in twilight

[spoiler]it was funny in the last book that a vampire that a vampire could have a child never mind doing the dirty haha[/spoiler]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 06:48:01 AM »
Monday morning CNN had a feature about ads relating to the new season of True Blood.  They also commented on the new phenomenon of more sexy vampires and mentioned Twilight.  It seems they are advertising the True Blood as though it were a real drink one could purchase, and apparently some bloggers were disappointed when they found out it wasn't real.  There are also some real products cooperating with them and incorporating “vampires” into ads.  They showed some examples.

When you sleep in a coffin,
It’s easy to think outside the box.

(in smaller letters)
Jobs available for motivated vampires.

It shows “True Blood” on the bottom left
and “Monster.com at bottom right.
-------------------------------
The money you could save
if you were immortal.

Even vampires save 15%.  (This was Geico)
---------------------------------
Dead Sexy
Vampires Prefer the Fusion Shave
(Gillette)
-----------------------------
Feel the Wind
In Your Fangs
(Mini Cooper)

Then the supposed True Blood ads:

Real Blood
Is For
Suckers
----------------------
Friends
Don’t Let
Friends
Drink
Friends
---------------------
All Flavor,
No Bite
------------------

They discussed it a bit afterward, how vampires used to be scary and would kill you and now they are sexy, but then John Roberts added that they still kill you!

The transcript is at the end of http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0906/08/ltm.03.html
and on the CNN home page I noticed a link which I assume is a video, called "Vampire blood for sale, ads say," which presumably is this whole segment.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »
but then John Roberts added that they still kill you!

Thank goodness somebody said it.

on the CNN home page I noticed a link which I assume is a video, called "Vampire blood for sale, ads say," which presumably is this whole segment.

It's not on the home page anymore, but is still listed under vids from the past 24 hours.  Thanks for the summary, Josette!