Author Topic: What did other writers want to do after 1897??  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: What did other writers want to do after 1897??
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 02:22:21 AM »
I think that was DC's doing, not the writers.

He wanted more and more, bigger and bigger every day.

Nancy

with such a great regular cast it's strange that the writers felt that they needed to come up with a new monster,or gimmick,or time travel element every few months.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 07:16:04 AM »
WORD MSCBRYK!  I agree totally.   [easter_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 08:08:17 AM »
I would have like to know what the writers came up after the 1841 Parallel Time. We have read about a possible return to 1971 where Liz and Roger finds out that Barnabas was a vampire and Julia travels to Asia to search for Adam. That would have been a great story.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
You know Doug I was thinking the about starting a thread about that.  We know from the Sam Hall interview in TV guide that they sort of had a map of what they wanted to do.   When JF resigned did he say he would "NEVER" play Barney again or just wanted to play someone else for a "while" to give him a chance to try his hand with something else?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 02:23:34 PM »
If DC, who I think was the force behind this, wasn't so quick to run through storylines, I think the result would have been a lost more interesting. Many points were dropped, never explained, never mentioned again. To me, this is a lost opportunity.

I remember an interview with James Storm on one of the dvds and he said they were fitting him for another costume but then word came the show was canceled. Wonder what that story would have been? I agree Taeylor, this would be an interesting thread.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »
Well Taeylor I do remember reading the book "The Dark Shadows Companion" where it said that JF wanted to play another character besides Barnabas for the 1841 Parallel time.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
YES...I am aware he wanted to play someone else...but did he sign a contract saying he would never play Barney again or just wanted to play another character for a while. then if they returned to normal time he would resume Barney!  This is if the show lasted.  I am pretty sure he signed a long term contract because at that point they didn't know the show was going off! 

Hugs
Tae

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 07:13:16 PM »
I would have like to know what the writers came up after the 1841 Parallel Time. We have read about a possible return to 1971 where Liz and Roger finds out that Barnabas was a vampire and Julia travels to Asia to search for Adam. That would have been a great story.

It sounds like an interesting idea. The removal of Adam was very abrupt and it would have been interesting to present the return of an educated, scarless Adam, perhaps with the ability to assist Barn, Julia or Stokes in some supernatural dilemma (hmnnn...involved with Nicholas Blair, perhaps?).

As someone stated, many storylines were incomplete or abruptly ended to go on to another situation, which was unfortunate. A little more time to develop stories and characters would have been an asset.     

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 12:09:47 AM »
  We never actually found out if Adam went to the surgeon, and I prefer to think he did not.  I like to imagine that  Adam, disgusted with the horror of what he was,  ran out into the night.  I imagine that he separated himself from the rest of mankind for some time and went to an isolated place to contemplate his own monstrous nature as well as the monstrous nature of humanity.  Perhaps he eventually came to befriend someone who liked him just the way he was - scars, pallor, sweater and all.  When Barnabas went back in time to 1897 either his bond with Adam broke or, maybe, Adam went into the past as well.  And you can bet Stokes knew where he was the whole time.  Stokes always struck me as someone who knew a lot more than he let on.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 06:49:48 AM »
I wish we hadn't been subjected to the boring part of his maturation, with his then leaving DS the moment things were about to become interesting for him.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor