Author Topic: Supernatural Creatures Never Used!  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Supernatural Creatures Never Used!
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »
I think it would have been really cool if DS would have had an Angel come to Collinwood to help fight the forces of darknes.  Maybe a storyline with Diablos releasing demons upon the Great Estate.  I also always thought it would have been cool for a SIREN to visit Collinsport!  It would have fit perfectly in with the show!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Supernatural Creatures Never Used!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:31:19 AM »
Given their proximity to the sea that would have been a cool idea.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:34:06 AM »
I like the idea of an angel, but I think Josette sort of takes on that role.  The siren idea is cool too.  In addition, I always though Collinsport could have used an invisible man or some sort of creature from some sort of rather dark body of water.   [easter_wink]

But, if you really think about it, the writers could have implemented some sort of sea creature into the story.  The creature could take on human form whilst amongst the town locals and then have its true form only seen off screen.

[spoiler](a la Jeb)[/spoiler]

Naturally, the show would have needed to run a few more years before doing this, but it could have happened.   Then, of course, you have the Mummy concept...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:54 AM »
I think it would have been really cool if DS would have had an Angel come to Collinwood to help fight the forces of darknes.  Maybe a storyline with Diablos releasing demons upon the Great Estate.  I also always thought it would have been cool for a SIREN to visit Collinsport!  It would have fit perfectly in with the show!

It'd be a risk to tread into theological areas even more than they already had by, you know, actually going to Hell.    The siren(s) is a good idea.   Anyone being called by one could end up going over Widow's Hill on the way!  And that's always fun!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Yeah now that I think it about it, I think the SIREN one would have been fun. How bout she start out as a mysterious new singer at THE BLUE WHALE.  In one part of mythology they ate the skin of their victims. The would have fit in nicley.  Harpies would have been cool too.

I think they toyed with the idea of a MUMMY and they always knew when they go that desperate it was time to close up shop or something like that.  Maybe one of you guys know the story better!   What other creatures would have like to have seen.

And yes Josette does kind of fell the Angel vacancy!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
I think I've seen references to there having been discussions of doing a mummy story. I believe, although I could be misremembering, that DC blew the idea out of the water because he didn't think mummies were at all scary, and were even ridiculous because of how they shamble along in the 1940s series and you would think anyone would be able to outrun the creature.

If Laura had come back a third time, it would have been cool to have incorporated a mummy into the story--perhaps a High Priest of Ra who was in thrall to her and could be summoned not to kill, but to drive variouis people in Laura's way temporarily insane, speechless, and exiled to Wyndcliffe so she could proceed with her monstrous plans.

G.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
Yeah, given Laura's Egyptian connections (origins?) and worship practices, I could easily see her having a mummy in her thrall, dispatching it to make nighttime visits to various members of the Collins family who were giving her problems, and of course nobody would initially believe the poor sap who'd seen the mummy that the thing was afoot. I'm sure that would have been one more instance of Roger thinking Elizabeth irrational in her belief that something awful was about to happen to her [easter_rolleyes], 'cos you KNOW Laura would've sicced the mummy on Liz.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »
The mummy wouldn't have to outrun anyone.   It could just emerge from a sarcophagus (?) and sneak up on people, throttle them, then go back in again, while everyone's stumped as to how the death happened.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 01:05:02 AM »
The mummy wouldn't have to outrun anyone.   It could just emerge from a sarcophagus (?).

And once it did that, it could east its victim's esophagus.   [easter_grin] [easter_tongue]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:14:07 AM »
Damn it, I can't think of any more rhymes for "sarcophagus"!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 02:25:54 AM »
This has never been verified but I've heard that the plan was to embark on a mummy story after 1897 ended.    Instead, DC went with the Leviathan story.  As Gothick mentions above, Curtis seemed turned off by the Kharis style-mummy who moved very slowly in the 1940s films.  If the rumor about a planned mummy story is true, I'd love to know what the story details were.  The Laura/mummy connection would have been absolutely perfect.  I really like the idea of Laura having a mummy in thrall to her.  Of course, he'd eventually turn on her.  Alternately, they could have gone with a mummy in the style of Imhotep from the classic Universal Karloff film. Imhotep starts out briefly as the shambling, bandaged being but gains strength and soon appears as the cunning and deadly Ardeth Bey.  Perhaps the writers had a difficult time justifying the presence of an ancient Egyptian mummy in a coastal Maine town.  An adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Lot 249 would have solved this dilemma quite nicely m'thinks.  It could have worked quite well.

I like the angel idea and I imagine brevity would've made it really special.  The angel bit couldn't have lasted too long.  Perhaps in a final desperate attempt to end the demonic infestation, Professor Stokes uses an ancient Kabbalistic rite to summon the angel.  The rite is a dangerous one and Stokes explains that the very sight of such a powerful being can be deadly to mortals.  We are left with a cliffhanger as light begins to fill the room and Stokes and Julia gaze with amazement upon a sight we, the viewers, are not allowed to glimpse.  Perhaps we see the angel in the next episode, and if we do, it isn't happy about being summoned.  Collinsport is an evil place, and the Collins legacy reeks of curses and wickedness.  I don't imagine this particular angel would be sweet and fluffy and ready to lend a hand.  I think it'd be angry and full of holy wrath.  Still, with Stokes' earnest cajoling, the angel would see the greater good and would help.  That's just how I imagine an angel might have worked on DS.  The angel would have to be sublime and even frightening in nature.

Other creatures?  Many beings from the dark realms of folklore could have worked on DS.  Banshees, ghouls (though it might have been a bit too gross if we saw them digging up dinner at Eagle Hill Cemetery), hell hounds and other such "things that go bump in the night" would have been perfect for DS. A golem might have worked though I suspect the makeup would've been a challenge.  Vinnie Loscalzo would've had a ball with it though. 

Come to think of it, I bet Vinnie would've come up with a GREAT mummy makeup.  I can just imagine Alex Stevens in the bandages - his large eyes perpetually staring out from beneath the dirty white wrappings.

~Penny~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:48 AM »
AWESOME POST Penny and I love the Kabaalistic ritual that you incorporated! ;)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 06:58:34 AM »
Magnus, this one is a bit of a stretch, but we'll go with it...

After the killings, the mummy could be interviewed by George Stephanopoulos.   [easter_cheesy]

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 07:27:31 AM »
After the killings, the mummy could be interviewed by George Stephanopoulos.   [easter_cheesy]
=============
 [easter_grin] ROTFLMAO!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
Given their proximity to the sea that would have been a cool idea.
I think a Selkie would have worked well too.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad