Author Topic: Question about Quentin and ratings  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Quentin and ratings
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 08:18:10 PM »
BTW, the artist was Ken Bald, who of course was a fan of the show!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
I never noticed before, but it does look like Quentin:

(And not that this is a topic to discuss it because this topic is about Quentin, but I'm a fan of both PT storylines (especially 1970PT) and 1840/41.  [snow_smiley])

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
Thanks so much, MB!  Now of course I remember that panel--derived from a favorite Barnabas publicity shot...

I seem to remember thinking that one "interpretation" of this image was that it wasn't Q's portrait, but his phantom that was looking out from a distance--rather like the representation of the ghosts in the old film The Innocents (with Deborah Kerr).

Thanks for the Tuesday afternoon treat!

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 09:44:45 PM »
Thanks for all this information!

Frid did not get paid for the use of his likeness in those comic strips, btw.

nancy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 10:16:55 PM »
Draconian Gothick?  I love all the new words your introduce to me! :)  I love PT very much.  But like MB said off topic and yeah it would have been nice if DS would have continued.  I wish Dan would have let someone take over.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »
Don't forget all of Quentin's "as played by Engelbert Humperdinck" appearances in those dreadful Gold Key comic books.

Quentin looked Tasmanian, Julia resembled a retired drag queen badly in need of chin surgery, Prof. Stokes appeared to be semi-batrachian...  I'm not sure what to say about Barn's portrayal in those comics, except that as I recall it, he was drawn looking more like Tony George than Jonathan Frid.

Why, Gothick, how can you say that?  Those Gold Key comics were simply just, well, they were pretty much, they were...never mind, you're absolutely right.  The "artistic" work was plain awful.  Two things really got to me when I use to purchase them at the comic book section of the old Red Owl supermarket down the street from where I grew up.  The first, and I mentioned this once before in a very old post here, was that Barnabas, save for a rare exceptions, was always wearing that coat-cape.  No matter where he was, what season it was, what time it was, he always had it on.  The second one is (along the same line and which I haven't previously mentioned) is that whenever he travelled back in time he was always wearing his 20th century clothing (which was that darn cape-coat and his necktie knot sticking out of the top).  He would be prancing around people in the 17th century and when all the characters there were dressed like pilgrims he'd be wearing that darn cape-coa....oh, you know what I mean, and no one would question his modern duds. 

And then there was Elizabeth who always wore, no matter what time of the day, that same long evening gown that looked like it came right off the rack at some Hooterville theatrical company.  To top it off, literally, she had that gigantic beehive hairdo that made her look like Divine from Hairspray after he had lost 10,000 pounds.  No wonder Elizabeth never left Collinwood; she couldn't get her hair through the front door.

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 11:09:03 PM »
No wonder Elizabeth never left Collinwood; she couldn't get her hair through the front door.

[yikes]