Author Topic: Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp  (Read 9922 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 06:31:07 AM »
It has been one of the most polarizing things ever to hit fandom. People either adored it or hated it. No middle ground.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:59 AM »
Nonsense!  I basically liked it, but I do have some reservations about it.  I haven't really fully made up my mind, so I'm definitely in the middle!
Josette

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
Likewise, JWGucciEnvy. And nice to meet you!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 09:05:34 PM »
I agree with the statement that Depp Shadows has been quite polarizing.  I for one detested it, both as a version of Shadows and in and of itself.  It underlined for me why I don't bother with very many current movies.

On an OT note, for those who enjoy romantic historic drama, I thought the new version of FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD was wonderful.  Charming script, beautiful performances, stunning scenery--on every level, a delight.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 09:20:12 PM »
And it probably shouldn't go without mention that it wasn't just fans who were sometimes polarized by the film - critics often were as well. Some critics loved it, while others really disliked it. Though unlike what would seem to be the case if one simply judges by what's been posted by online fandom, there actually was a lot of middle ground in the reviews because many critics liked parts of the film but disliked other parts. But then that's pretty much the case when it comes to the reviews of most films...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 12:28:33 AM »
Even though I loved the film, believing it to a great tribute to the OS-DS, I didn't find it perfect.  Hardly.  I thought the sex scenes were gratuitous.  I thought that the one between Barnabas and Angelique was too way-over-the-top; I think it would've worked better if it would've cut out all the shenanigans as they "made love" and just cut to the two of them sitting there in the wrecked office.  Leave what happened up to the imagination of the viewer.  Likewise, the one between Barnabas and Julia was just, well, downright icky. 

At the end of the film, it just went overboard with throwing in everything from the entire series except the kitchen sink, all in a few minutes.  Yes, we got Laura Collins; yes, we got a werewolf, but it just all really didn't fit.  To me, it was just a way to set things up for sequels.  They should've stayed with subtlety, as when it turns out that the reincarnation of Josette is Maggie Evans, not Victoria.  That's a solid tribute to DS orthodoxy, not the '91 or '04 versions that committed, shall we say, "blasphemy."

I think, over time, the '12 DS will grow on its detractors.  After all, when the '91 aired, for all its glitz and glamor, I absolutely disliked it.  To me, it lacked all subtlety, was just a re-hashed version of HoDS, was (save for a few characters) totally miscast, poorly written, directed and acted.  And don't forget those - gulp - palm trees!!!  I didn't miss a single episode, but I didn't like it.  When it left the air, I thought "no big loss."  It could've been done so much better.  But over time, watching it in reruns on Sci-Fi ("SyFy") as well as on Hulu, and its recounting here, it grew on me.  I began to appreciate certain things about it and found out, despite its many faults, it wasn't that bad and, with work if it had continued, it could've become something rather good if not great.  Time heals all wounds.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 04:01:46 AM »
Nonsense!  I basically liked it, but I do have some reservations about it.  I haven't really fully made up my mind, so I'm definitely in the middle!

Here Here!!

I basically like it too; the main things I don't like are characters/arcs that had no options except to either be 'smushed' together, or dropped.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
My favorite character from DS-12 was - are you ready for this? - Mrs. Johnson.  She was totally re-written from being a busy-body to a sweet, dementia-suffering "maid" whom the family keeps on because they obviously care for her.  There's not much she can do, but what she tries to do she does at her best.  She's quite oblivious to everything going on around her, unlike the other incarnations. 

I would've like to know more about DS-12's Carolyn.  I wasn't excited about turning her from a semi-independent, bar-hopping rebellious almost-twenty to a self-focused, cigarette-smoking (from one of the deleted scenes with "Magtoria" where she smokes, too) rebellious almost-sixteener.  But it pretty much worked and I understood the reason why; having two ingenues almost the same age in a film that encompassed a shorter plot in less than two hours wouldn't've worked.  But I had some questions:  how was she being educated, for example?  Maggie/Vicki arrived to deal with David and his education, but what about Carolyn?  Did she go to school?  It was never indicated (unless it's in one of the deleted scenes) that "Magvic" was also her teacher.

The film encompassed so many things from DS-OS but left them unanswered, such as what happened to Paul Stoddard.  It was referenced, when Carolyn sang her stinging song with Alice Cooper to take a shot at her mother for example, but I figure that all such things were left for possible sequels.  Fans would understand all the references (and both Depp and Burton are fans, so they incorporated them), but newbies would be left wondering more of the background.

Again, maybe sequels would've fleshed it out more.  Did Elizabeth accidently (or purposely) murder Paul and had him stuffed into one of those secret rooms, or maybe she thought she did and he returns?  Now that Julia is a vampire, and obviously PO'ed, what havoc would she bring?  And what about Maggie Evans now also being a vampire and the fully reincarnated Josette together with Barnabas?  Does Angelique come back?  How would all that wonderful Dynasty-like battles between Maggie/Vicki/Josette, Julia and Angelique work out?  Would they have a bitch-slap fest in a pool of holy water?  Would all three realize that they have become the things they are because of Barnabas and confront him in an intervention?  I don't think they had interventions in 1972.  Don't forget Barnabas and Elizabeth rebuilding Collinwood to its glory and Carolyn now being a spokesgirl for the ASPCA.  And where's Roger?  Maybe he'll find the reincarnation of Laura while out spending the loot given to him by Barnabas. 

You know, it's all great fodder for fan-fiction.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2015, 01:16:17 AM »
I appreciate your bringing the thread back to topic, Gerard.

One thing I really liked about the film was its taking care of the 1795 storyline in the intro. I thought that was brilliant.

I wouldn't mind a '60s prequel perhaps spotlighting the Burke/Roger/Laura triangle and accident and Burke's return and the Phoenix. Along with Liz and Paul and Ned Calder and Bill Malloy and Mathew Morgan. And perhaps introducing Carolyn's story in there somewhere. Sounds like the project would never get off the ground, lol - boring - no Barnabas, Julia or Quentin - but we'd have the pen! lol. I think they could get away with using all new actors with the action taking place 10 to 18 years earlier.

1897 makes the most sense - no need for repeat actors - thought I suppose Pfeiffer & McGrath could do well to kick it off as a '70s haunting. An 1897 without Barnabas is an interesting prospect. Quentin could be the hero and the haunting would be unnecessary. Maybe the threat could be Gerard from 1840 - I wonder if the fans would go for a reworking of 1897? Or even a '60s prequel of 2012?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »
One thing that puzzled me at the time was how the initial comic book story (with a return of Angelique theme) in 2010-2011 had a finale that was very close to the ending of the 2012 movie.  The comic came out as the movie was being prepared and then filmed, so I did wonder if there had been a script leak.  I don't recall this ever being mentioned subsequently, but then, I haven't exactly done due diligence to keep up with press around the 2012 film.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2015, 12:29:14 AM »
over on some of the boards there's been some loose (and very unsubstantiated) "chatter" about a potential sequel in the pipeline...

I haven't heard a peep. and it really does seem like depp and burton have lost all interest in expanding the "franchise". anyone here heard any whispers???

seems highly unlikely. it's been over three years. and even if a new film went into production now it wouldn't hit the screens until 2017.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.