Author Topic: OT- RIP Robert Quarry "Count Yorga"  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
OT- RIP Robert Quarry "Count Yorga"
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:10:42 AM »
I'm proud to say that I have the 'Yorga' films on DVD, and I even enjoyed him in the blaxploitation voodo flick Sugar Hill!  An uniquely talented actor who never got his due.  Good night, sweet prince.......

http://www.fangoriaonline.com/home/news/15-rip/1448-rip-robert-quarry.html

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT- RIP Robert Quarry "Count Yorga"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »
Interesting bio. Even a passing DS Mention re:Thayer David & a Frid/Barnabas blurb that made me giggle in the comments section. Thanks for posting the link.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
The comment about Quarry attending, presumably, one of Frid's performances in Arsenic and Old Lace is too wild. Who knew their paths had crossed that closely?  [snow_wink]  I wonder if they ever met?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
I love the seance sequence at the beginning of Count Yorga Vampire.  That, and the scene where the Count, attired in a smoking jacket and a very frosty smile, is "entertaining" the two protagonists who have been unwise enough to enter his home, I actually found reminiscent of similar sequences on DS.  I thought the film slithered rapidly downhill from a rather promising start.  For years, I had thought that it was the fault of the hack job the censors had done on the CBS Late Movie broadcast print, but a few years back I finally got to see the original, uncut release film and it was still cheesy, slipshod, amateurish work.

My personal favorite Quarry performance is as Darius Beiderbecke in Dr. Phibes Rises Again.  Although Quarry and Vincent Price did not get along very well (due to some busybody who "helfpully" told Price that Quarry was being groomed as his "replacement" at AIP), they had a wonderful chem together onscreen.  They acted together as well in Madhouse, which is out on DVD now but I have yet to catch up with.  I saw it on VHS in the 90s and was distinctly underwhelmed, despite the fab cast--Peter Cushing and Adrienne Corri also appear--Corri probably has the best scenes of anyone in this.

There was a really good print interview of Quarry in one of the mags some years ago.  His departure has yet another "end of an era" ring to it.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »
Just read the obit and am happy to hear that the purported animosity between Quarry and Price did not exist in real life.

It was fascinating to learn of his friendships with such artists as Joseph Cotten and Katharine Hepburn--clearly, there was something special about him.

G.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:25 AM »
It's been a long time since I've seen "Count Yorga, Vampire," so I don't remember much about it, but I was thrilled with it at the time.

[spoiler]I generally "root" for the vampire in a vampire movie, and I'm sure this was the one where he survived at the end, and I really loved that![/spoiler]
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »
Sad to hear Quarry has passed on, but he seems to have lived a fascinating life. I love the COUNT YORGA movies, the second even more than the first. I saw RETURN OF COUNT YORGA (at the same theater where I saw HOUSE & NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS) before the original, and I think it was the first and only vampire movie to give me the creeps as a kid. They’re both a fine combination of chills and humor, the latter film in particular. I love the Halloween party at the beginning where the goofy guy dressed as Dracula wins the costume contest and turns to the cape-clad Yorga and says, “Sorry, fella.”

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »
Here's a hilarious trailer for Deathmaster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAltxajwNo

I remember Quarry doing the maniacal laugh shtick in Count Yorga, too.

have fun!

G.