Author Topic: What¢â‚¬â„¢s Wrong With These People?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What¢â‚¬â„¢s Wrong With These People?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2002, 02:09:36 AM »
Daphne,

Yes, Carolyn volunteers at the local antique shop during the Leviathan storyline. The owners, Megan and Phillip Todd, are said to be some of her best friends.

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What’s Wrong With These People?
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2002, 03:09:10 AM »

A. Whatever course of action he chooses should be taken OUTSIDE the house [either house] - away from other family members and valuable possesions.  Keep in mind Widow's Hill is very convienient! [TLM is not as hardy as Adam]

May I just say they were all gems Ringo but the above was my personal favorite. Tee hee. [lghy]

As for my remark about David having the crap kicked out of him...my only real reason for saying that is that to me a kid like David - being the proverbial little piss ant, issue burdened rich kid [evily] - a crap kicking (or merely a swift butt kicking) would be inevitable and in his near future were he to ever get to know some of the other kids in Collinsport.  Once he was over that hurdle, he might decide he would rather make friends than play psycho boy the rest of his life.  

I personally do not condone violence in real life as a form of therapy, nor was I ever in a schoolyard punch out (or cat fight in my case).   To tell you the truth, I*m one of those people who carry bugs and spiders out of the house and set them free and my dog isn't even very disciplined (actually, he walks all over me).  So I would - in reality - have a problem with beating anyone for any reason.  

I know tone is sometimes hard to convey in these posts, but trust me, I am usually in what might be described best as a Monty Python mood when I make many of my silly posts so, I hope I didn*t offend you with my (extremely unqualified) analysis.

CastleBee ~ having a smackdown with TLM ~ but only in my mind. [wink2]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2002, 05:25:17 AM »
Never being a sports fan myself, or understanding the facination with a bunch of guys dressed alike doing the same thing over and over for points ...

Amen! Preach on, Brother Ringo!  ;D

Problem: Irritable with a tendency to lapse into physical violence and verbal cruelty compounded by a fixation with much younger women.

Hey, my therapist said those records are sealed!!

Oh...you're talking about Barnabas... :-[

Carry on.  ;)

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2002, 08:56:35 PM »

CastleBee ~ having a smackdown with TLM ~ but only in my mind. [wink2]

Not being as sensitive to remarks as some others, I think I understood you. The fact is that many parents, who do on occasion spank some butt, are at least ACTUALLY PAYING ATTENTION to said child. I think David would have benefitted from love, attention and the needed discipline that children require. Whether that discipline be physical or not, children do benefit from it, if the first components are also existing.

Of course, to come in and apply said discipline at an older age, when the love and attention has NOT been a factor, is not likely to rectify the situation. It doesn't stop us from the fantasy though, huh?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2002, 03:15:37 AM »
Carolyn is bipolar. Plain and simple, her moods could be a ride in the amusement park!

I don't think there's enough there to diagnose her with bipolar disorder.  Carolyn's moody, yes, but she's not out of control with it and I don't think we've ever seen or heard descriptions of her being manic or seriously depressed.  

Much of the character's behavior seems to be because she is spoiled, young and rebellious (e.g. when she was chasing after Burke) or because she frankly, has no direction in her life.  I understand that this probably would not have been out of place for someone of that social status and in that era, but she's not in college, she has no job/career, and she has no family of her own.  In short, she's free to sit around the house all day and eat bon-bons.  Which as desirable as that might sound (and believe me, it does sound desirable right now), is hardly healthy for her.  She doesn't even seem to do charity work.  

So there's this huge vacuum (sp? I don't dare do the spell check because every time I try, it wipes my posts) in her life and she has no productive idea how to fill it.  The same to a different extent goes for David and the assortment of children who come to live at Collinwood.  Nothing to do all day but poke around and stir up trouble.  

Perfect recipe for trouble ;)

Luciaphil

"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga