Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0719  (Read 1639 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0719
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0719
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »
"Are you going to drive me to the Farmer's Almanac?"  I love that line.

As far as I can tell, Magda saw Barnabas in severe pain, remembered Jamison's interest in the now-missing cane, ran off to the cottage to stop Quentin, saw the sign of death on him, and went with him to his room at Collinwood, where she pulled her Tarot cards and her crystal ball out of her bag and looked into his future.  I suppose she takes the bag with her wherever she goes, even during emergency, just in case it might come in handy - but it seems unlikely.

I gather that Jenny's new quarters are in the basement.  Maybe the basement of the west wing, but still two floors away from Quentin's room and his gramophone.  Do the basement room and Quentin's room share a chimney?

I enjoyed Quentin's warning to Judith not to think of murdering him.  She must have thought he was crazy!  And the thing about Judith is that I don't think it's wise to put ideas in her head.  As far as I can tell, she believes herself to be a good, God-fearing woman, but self-righteousness could lead her into some very unChristian acts.  What an interesting scene in Quentin's bedroom when she avoided telling him why she didn't want him to play his music!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »
Thats interesting because in the original timeline,

[spoiler]Either Judith or Edward must have been responsible for Quentin's death.  They must have shot him in werewolf form (after murdering Beth perhaps?) and let him die on the chair and sealed off the room[/spoiler]

I enjoyed Quentin's warning to Judith not to think of murdering him.  She must have thought he was crazy!  And the thing about Judith is that I don't think it's wise to put ideas in her head.  As far as I can tell, she believes herself to be a good, God-fearing woman, but self-righteousness could lead her into some very unChristian acts.  What an interesting scene in Quentin's bedroom when she avoided telling him why she didn't want him to play his music!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 06:47:44 PM »
[spoiler]Couldn't it have been Trask in Q's room all along?  That's how I always saw it.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
We hear Dirk getting conked on the head by Jenny but don't get to actually see it (more's the pity), but we do see him handle her roughly.  It reminded me of the Reader's Theater at last year's Fest in which Marie Wallace (as Eve) became wary enough of Roger's antics (as Jeff) to instruct him, "Pretend he's choking me."

As far as I can tell, Magda saw Barnabas in severe pain, remembered Jamison's interest in the now-missing cane, ran off to the cottage to stop Quentin, saw the sign of death on him, and went with him to his room at Collinwood, where she pulled her Tarot cards and her crystal ball out of her bag and looked into his future.  I suppose she takes the bag with her wherever she goes, even during emergency, just in case it might come in handy - but it seems unlikely.

Maybe Magda picked up the bag while Quentin got Jamison home?  We're not told how much time passed between the end of #718 and the opening scene at Collinwood, or if they arrived there together.  I can picture Quentin demanding that she meet him later and bring along the tools of her trade so he can learn more about his mark of death.  (Robservations calls it a mask of death, but I don't think that's what was said.)

Magda saw a mark of death on Barnabas, too, when she first met him.  I guess it's an unreliable talent or she would've seen it on a lot more people.

We get the black horn on the gramophone til the pretty one comes back.  And a very covered-up Judith.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:43:35 AM »
Magda makes an interesting character point at the beginning of the episode:  that Quentin is like a child, always grabbing and hurting to get his own way.  She nailed it right on the head. He behaves JUST  like a dysfunctional child at this point. Somewhere along the line he learned that bullying and threats are the quickest way to get what he wants; yet, interestingly enough we've also seen previously that he can turn on the charm and sweet talk like nobody's business to get something. 

He's like an abused 5 year old, who knows no other way to react than to lash out and hurt whomever they perceive to have hurt them.  Corporal punishment was the norm then, true -- but his whole pattern,  and to some extent those of the others -- imply headgames and  psychological manipulation coupled with an authority figure's power being synonymous with physical strength and the power to hurt at any time for any reason were what all of them modeled their behaviours on in different ways.   Edward and Judith tried to be the good little children, Carl tried to keep bad things from happening to him with his jokes, and Quentin seemed to figure as long as he was being punished anyway, might as well be as bad as he wanted and do what he wanted.

And now the scene switches to poor Jenny, who's now forgotten all about who Judth is and why she went for her last time we saw them. [sad5]

Then back to Quentin and Magda, where we see THE PETOFI BOX right behind Quentin's gramophone on a shelf. LOL good point about the chimney.  How else could Jenny possibly hear the music.  Somehow me thinks those walls are made of something better than cheap plasterboard.

The confrontation between Judith and Quentin is VERY nicely played. JB does a lovely job of showing Judith ordering Quentin, then slowly becoming more and more afraid of him as the scene progresses. You see it first in her eyes, only then does it translate into moving away, etc. before he moves away and she enforces her authority again before leaving.

And it seems Selby went up on his lines here.  He's talking to Magda about his sister's scenes then goes into a thought that doesn't go anywhere,and doesn't seem to fit,  then goes "go on, Magda".

Hmm, interesting how Jenny, when she thnks the babies see her dancing, says "it was the other one".  Are they trying to infer split personality?  Sounds like it would  be giving them too much credit, since all they seem to want is Mr. Rochester's generic mad wife in the attic.

And interesting how Dirk seems to think he knows everything about Beth and is VERY put out that she didn't share her  secret with him.  Well, DUH -- he told Judith he knew and was keeping a lot of Collins' secrets, so why would he think he was the ONLY servant asked to keep their mouths shut about something?  [hdscrt]

Great irony in Quentin's line about Drinking not being one of his bad habits, and never could be.  At this point in his life, maybe not -- or at least not more than any other upper class man in a time when manliness was measured by capacity for liquor.  But later?  I'm thinking the drinking then is more a product of circumstances -- of wanting to forget all that's happening, perhaps to the point of perhaps wanting to drink so much he never wakes up.  [7385]

LOL on the memory of Marie at the Fest.  Dirk seemed to relish the fact that he was given permission to be rough, and best I could tell, didn't even wait for there to be provocation.

And can anyone see the sense in giving Jenny HOT Coffee?  Between making her MORE wired, and the fact that hot liquid could be a weapon..... Reality checkbook, please.  He deserved that clonk on the head just for being a dimwit, not even counting the rest of it.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
Then back to Quentin and Magda, where we see THE PETOFI BOX right behind Quentin's gramophone on a shelf.

Hi, Jeannie.  Magnus once named that The-Box-That-I-Keep-Mistaking-For-the-Petofi-Box.  MB captured it for the fill in board; click the image to enlarge it:
Episode #0719

I'd bet big money that there's a cap of the Petofi box somewhere too.  [snow_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:03:55 AM »
Ah, Lydia made it extremely easy to find in a board search:

Re: Prop Project: The Box of the Hand of Count Petofi

Quote from: Pansity
Hmm, interesting how Jenny, when she thnks the babies see her dancing, says "it was the other one".  Are they trying to infer split personality?  Sounds like it would  be giving them too much credit, since all they seem to want is Mr. Rochester's generic mad wife in the attic.

I thought that was interesting too.  Jenny's split image of herself (the good mother and the bad mother) would seem to explain why she also perceives the people around her in terms of black and white-- they're either all good (Beth) or they're all bad (Quentin, Edward, etc.).  Splitting is a defense mechanism seen in personality disorders, and bravo to the writers for that scene!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 06:53:39 AM »
[spoiler]Couldn't it have been Trask in Q's room all along?  That's how I always saw it.[/spoiler]
That's how I saw it, too. Also, Joeytron, I think maybe you got it wrong or you haven't seen the 1897 storyline. In the original storyline, I believe [spoiler]Beth shot Quentin, and then poisoned herself.[/spoiler]

This was the first time that Quentin identified his "theme of music". [milestone]

I think it's cute how, when they felt threatened by Jenny, Beth and Judith were able to tell her, "I hear your babies," and she would usually believe what she heard and "tend to her babies". That really showed just how crazy Jenny was. Wonderful performance by Marie. [clap2] Sometimes, Jenny was quite sane, and other times, not. Jenny would "forget herself" and actually enjoy the music until she caught herself and chastised herself for "slipping". It's fun to watch Crazy Jenny - so many nuances to her character. [snow_silly]

I was initially surprised that Jenny was able to hear Quentin's music. As I mentioned in my post for Episode#718, I was confused as to where Magda and Quentin were. I thought they were at the cottage in the beginning. I guess the scene moved to Quentin's room without our knowing it. Lydia's post made that more clear to me.  [easter_rolleyes]

I loved it when Judith was trying to get Quentin to stop playing his music without telling him the real reason. They had a complicated relationship. It didn't endear Quentin to Judith when Magda told him that the person who would kill him had a name starting with "J". Quentin had no idea that Jenny was there - it was only natural that he would assume it was Judith.  [easter_undecided]

Dirk sure was dumb for turning his back on Jenny. He should have known better. Jenny was rather scary at the end when she thrust the letter opener in the air with that crazy look on her face. But I enjoyed the cheesiness of it! [easter_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 06:07:57 PM »
Loved the scenes between Quentin and Judith today. When she tells him she doesn't want to listen to the music anymore it's because it's driving her crazy, he tells her with a grin on her face that may be the very reason he plays it. He enjoys irritating her. She is annoyed that he enjoys it, but there is little she can do about it now that Edith's will has given him a home for life. And when he warns her not think about killing him or else he'll come back and haunt her to her own grave...he's not play-acting there. He is as serious as he can be. Plus I do think he believes he can do it since he is so familiar with black magic.

I agree that Magda hit the nail on the head when she said Quentin was like a spoiled child always grabbing, always wanting his own way. Quentin's attitude may in some way be attributed to the way he was brought up. In a few episodes ahead, [spoiler] Judith says that he was always the favorite grandchild of their grandparents. They must have spoiled Quentin rotten, which could be one of the reasons he has never gotten on with Edward and Judith. Sibling rivalry, and I can imagine Quentin must have enjoyed rubbing it in their faces at times that he was the favorite. [/spoiler]

Marie Wallace did a great job in conveying Jenny's madness yet making her very sympathetic. I always thought Jenny was
Marie's best role and her performance today reinforces my opinion of that.

I agree that Dirk was very foolish to turn his back on her. Judith did make it clear to him he was not to let Jenny out under any circumstances. Good help really IS hard to find.