Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0717  (Read 1704 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0717
« on: January 27, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0717
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »
Gosh, Jenny's fun - and sad.

I found Beth far more believable as she told Jenny that Jenny had to be good than I do when she's with Quentin.  Maybe it's because she was so sorrowful with Jenny – more like the weeping ghost of 1969.

Rachel's got Barnabas eating out of her pretty little hand.  He's always swayed by surface appearances: anybody who looks like Josette must be like Josette.  He did get past that with Maggie, and he turned to Vicky, but obviously he didn't draw any moral from that experience.  He needs Julia to throw some cold water on him – though he wouldn't pay any attention if she did.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »
The fabulosity of ProfStokes' comments for this and the previous ep make them worth a mention.  They're the 1st reply after using the Robservations link.

So, Rachel found the key after Jenny tossed it over the railing?

Loved Barnabas' line:  "Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die; they lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting."

Was his horrified expression at the end supposed to keep us guessing?  Really!?!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:08:53 PM »
I was sruck by how beautiful the drawing room of the old house looked with its lighting and colors.  Rachel must have used her super sleuth powers to see Jenny though the door throw the key over the balcony railing and then locate it once she got out.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 02:24:07 AM »
...Rachel's got Barnabas eating out of her pretty little hand.  He's always swayed by surface appearances: anybody who looks like Josette must be like Josette.  He did get past that with Maggie, and he turned to Vicky, but obviously he didn't draw any moral from that experience.  He needs Julia to throw some cold water on him – though he wouldn't pay any attention if she did.

Truer words were never spoken.....

As to the rest of the episode.  Again, Marie does a fantastic job with Jenny; she's believably all over the place, and you FEEL for her even without knowing what happened to her.

And am I the only one who is bugged by Beth constantly using the front staircase?  She was warned about that earlier, and here she is traipsing down it without a care in the world, like she owns the place. (True, we need to see what's happening with her and Judith, and they were probably too cheap to make a set for the servants quarters... but it's annoying.)  Are we supposed to see this as a power play, or an accident that just keeps happening?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
Gosh, I'm so behind! [easter_undecided] Even the "break" for the last 6 weeks didn't help much. I'm sure I'll catch up eventually, but not for a while, unfortunately. I guess you'll have to wait for those "milestones". Sorry.

Anyway, about the episode... Marie Wallace was excellent as Jenny! [clap2] I'm sure she had a ball playing crazy. I especially liked the "What color is a lie?" speech. [easter_cheesy] Jenny was prone to violence, but she was a sad woman, too. It was great that so many layers were portrayed so that we, the audience, could feel sorry for her. [bigok]

Beth sure did move Jenny fast! The conversation between Rachel and Judith only lasted a few minutes. Obviously, Beth used the back stairs, for a change. [winkg]

When Barnabas was waiting for Rachel, at first I was wondering why he waited. [easter_huh] After all, as he said himself, he could have gone up there on his own. But then he wouldn't have been able to explain himself if he had done that. Besides, he was smitten with Rachel, so he was happy to be "in cahoots" with her. [luv]

By the way, I think Judith did "borrow" Jenny's dress.  Judith was probably jealous of her. [easter_angry]

----- Sally-----
[easter_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 06:30:47 PM »
Gosh, I'm so behind! [easter_undecided] Even the "break" for the last 6 weeks didn't help much. I'm sure I'll catch up eventually, but not for a while, unfortunately.

It's never too late to add comments.  [easter_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:25:39 PM »
Marie Wallace was excellent as Jenny! [clap2] I'm sure she had a ball playing crazy. I especially liked the "What color is a lie?" speech. [easter_cheesy] Jenny was prone to violence, but she was a sad woman, too. It was great that so many layers were portrayed so that we, the audience, could feel sorry for her. [bigok]

When Barnabas was waiting for Rachel, at first I was wondering why he waited. [easter_huh] After all, as he said himself, he could have gone up there on his own. But then he wouldn't have been able to explain himself if he had done that.

I started thinking about the fact that today they would make DS, especially the period stories, as big grandiose romances with overpowering music, lots of gold and blue mood lighting, many edits, special effects, and a dry ice machine maybe.   All that would overwhelm and beat the life out of great performances like MW's I think.   It's far better just to point the camera at the actor and let her work, keep quiet, and not interfere.

I think Barnabas explained himself.   If I'm right, he said that he must go to the room in the normal way, possibly leaving us to remember why, because we don't reel off exposition in our thoughts to ourselves.   It would have been too easy to be discovered appearing or disappearing, or overheard talking behind the locked door, and one person for sure would be a witness, whoever the person in the Tower Room was.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:25:33 AM »
Beth sure did move Jenny fast! The conversation between Rachel and Judith only lasted a few minutes. Obviously, Beth used the back stairs, for a change.
Or maybe Beth used the laundry chute.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:23:42 PM »
Or maybe Beth used the laundry chute.

I enjoyed picturing that for a second.   Beth jumping down the chute a la the lunar fighter pilots in Gerry Anderson's "UFO", then going "wheee!" on the way down...  She deserves it, she works hard.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 05:15:22 AM »
I agree that Barnabas is under Rachel's thumb, making her an easy target for Angelique's wrath. And yes he did need some water thrown on him...forget that, how about some hard slaps in the face? Even there, I'm not convinced that would do the trick. He really needed to get off that Josette kick of his even if she was the love of his life.

I agree that Judith probably did take Jenny's dress. I also feel that she never liked Jenny from the get-go, she's so unsympathetic to her...probably she was jealous as hell that Edith liked Jenny more than her in the aspect Jenny sang better than her.

At least Jenny has one sympathetic soul on her side...Beth. No matter how attacted she may be to Quentin, Beth never forgets that Jenny is his wife. She goes out of her way to be kind and gentle to her and I admire her a great deal for that.