Author Topic: Robservations 6/24/02 - #534/535 - The Point of Return?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 6/24/02 - #534/535 - The Point of Return?
« on: June 23, 2002, 12:26:09 PM »
534 - Vicki stares out the window in the Collinwood drawing room, tortured by the dream.

Old House - Barnabas walks downstairs to find a note, seemingly from Vicki, tucked under his door. She tells him she dreamed the dream again and can't bear its horrible agony-I'm leaving Collinwood, she writes--I find it painfully ironic that all the qualities I admire in you are now the reasons I have to leave--if I stay, I can only bring you great harm--with the passing of each day, the dream will erode my leftover courage and strength--it's like having an incurable disease, and I know I would rather die than inflict it on you. Barnabas' face reflects horror as he reads this. "Vicki, no!" he moans, and hurries out to stop her.

Vicki, having flashback to the dream, hears the haunting sounds of Josette's music box and covers her ears. Barnabas determinedly knocks at the door. Vicki is sure it's too early to be Barnabas, but it is, and she opens the door, sees him and orders him not to come in. He barges past her-I must speak to you, he insists. She begs him to return to the Old House, but he chases her, following her around the table--I can't let you go through with what you said in the note you left me, he protests. She assures him she didn't do it, and although the note is clearly her handwriting, she didn't write it.
They quickly realize they've both been duped by Cassandra--this was her way of bringing them together. It didn't work, says Vicki, I didn't tell you the dream. Julia, perturbed, comes downstairs and demands to know what Vicki is doing. Barnabas says there's nothing they can do to avoid it, but Julia separates them by shooing Vicki into the drawing room and closing the door while she demands Barnabas tell her why he showed up to make Vicki's suffering even worse. Barnabas explains about Cassandra's note. Julia orders him to go to the Old House-now--and he reluctantly agrees, but tells her to take good care of Vicki. Julia promises she will, firmly closing the door after him, then gazes heavenward, overwhelmed and miserable (poor gal gets all the scut work!)

Vicki covers her ears against the sound of the music box, then covers her face in despair. Julia comes in, making Vicki gasp. They sit on the sofa together; Vicki says there isn't anything anyone can do, she must keep fighting it.
Julia knows what Vicki's going through, and is sure the dream Vicki had was worse than hers. The fear is overpowering, says Vicki--a living thing trying to break down my willpower and take control of me--it's all I can think about. Julia suggests she go to Windcliff, but Vicki insists she won't succumb to Cassandra and will never tell Barnabas the dream. She runs upstairs and Julia gazes after her. Carolyn comes in, greets Julia dispiritedly and notices how out of it Julia seems. Carolyn saw Joe at the hospital, and says he's much Better--he'll be leaving the hospital in two or three weeks, good as new. (That sounds awfully lengthy, but I guess hospitals were more generous with their time back then.) Carolyn says Joe told her some incredible facts, such as Adam leaping from Widows' Hill and surviving. Carolyn can't believe this--how could Adam possibly still be alive? Julia had heard about Adam going to Sam's cottage, but didn't tell her for fear of alarming Carolyn. Where is Adam, frets Carolyn, where is he sleeping, eating? Julia says he's probably wandering the woods, but Carolyn doubts it-someone would have seen him. He's hiding someplace, but where? Julia finds Carolyn's concern odd, as does Carolyn herself, who claims it's merely curiosity. Julia advises her to be careful about that, then goes upstairs. Carolyn, thinking hard, gets an idea and leaves the house.

Adam sits in the root cellar, eating what looks like hay. He hears a sound outside his door. It's Carolyn, come to call, and she lets herself in while Adam hides himself in a corner of the root cellar. He grabs her and she asks him to let her go-she's his friend. He recognizes her, and closes the door to prevent her escape. She knew he'd come there and decided to check it out. Why? he asks, but she doesn't know.
He demands to know what she wants, and she says she thought he might need help. Did she bring the police? He asks. No, I came alone, she assures him. He grabs her and asks again, but she assures him she hasn't spoken to the police--and he's hurting her. Curtly, he pushes her away. I'm grateful to you for saving my life, she says, and want to help you now. You've changed, she adds regretfully, you're no longer gentle and innocent--now you've become what people believed you to be--if you're afraid of me, don't trust me, I'll leave and not come back. She starts to go out, but he asks her to stay, please--"Stay with Adam." She can't stay long, but she will help him, if he wants. He says he does, gazing at her with love. She notices how many more words he can say, and wonders how. Yes, Adam learn very good, he says (grammar isn't amongst his accomplishments). He displays that he knows the words ground, wall, door, outside, inside, feet, clothes, hands, face, hair (and of course, he touches her hair as he says it). She's amazed, wondering who taught him all those things. Stokes, he says. Joe was right, she realizes, Adam was staying with the professor--why are you here, why aren't you with Stokes? He couldn't, he says--he can't return there--Stokes angry at me for being bad--he didn't tell him that, exactly, and Stokes doesn't know he's in the root cellar, but he knows the professor is mad. Carolyn teaches him to say "I" instead of Adam, and asks if he was happy with Stokes. Yes, he says, Carolyn wants to take him back there, but he refuses. You have no food and it isn't safe, she points out, and Stokes must realize that when you ran from his house, it was out of fear and he isn't angry. No, says Adam, I can't go back there. Carolyn decides to get Stokes, bring him here, assures Adam he isn't angry--stay-and don't leave before I get back, she says. "Stay with Adam," he begs, grabbing her in his arms. I only want to get you help, she says. He gazes into her face, sure she won't come back, but she promises she will, and he must believe it and let her go. He trustingly opens the door to allow her to leave, a touching moment indeed.

Barnabas crumples up Cassandra's note and tosses it into the fireplace with a grimace. He leans dejectedly on the mantle for a moment, then lets Julia in. He feels terrible, he says, waiting for the executioner. She asks him not to feel that way, and tells him Vicki went to her room and locked the door. She knocked, but there was no answer, and she thinks Vicki fell asleep. To have the dream again, laments Barnabas. Julia says Cassandra has underestimated Vicki's strength, and Barnabas agrees- and how much consolation is there in that? He's being selfish. What is he roving--accomplishing?-nothing--Vicki is strong, but also being tortured, and he's allowing it. Julia says Vicki doesn't want to tell him the dream, and Barnabas says loving is her nature, not destroying, and he feels he, too, must have something in his nature that will be worthy of what she's doing for him. He can't let it go on-he's going to go to Vicki and let her tell him the dream. Julia protests, asks him to wait longer. It's already been too long, he says. Julia feels Vicki will survive the dream, and reminds Barnabas that if this reaches its conclusion, his fate will be worse than death. Barnabas says there's no way out, but Julia refuses to believe this. He went to see Cassandra, he tells the horrified Julia, and asked her to release Vicki from the dream's effects. In return for WHAT? asks Julia, already knowing. I was willing to admit defeat and restore our relationship of long ago, he says. Julia can't believe he was serious in this offer, and he explains he told her he'd wait at the Old House for her answer, but there was none. If Cassandra wasn't willing to respond to that, there's nothing else, and he can't bear contemplating what Vicki is going through for him. (Does he have any clue what JULIA is going through for him?)
Julia begs him to think it over, and he says, firmly, he has thought about it and is prepared to accept it. He leaves, and Julia stares after him, in despair. A very nice scene between these two.)

535 - In Collinwood's drawing room, Vicki paces, and suffers. She hears someone enter the house and gazes fearfully at the double doors. It's Julia, and Vicki is relieved. Julia tells her Barnabas is on his way, upsetting Vicki. Why?--it's too dangerous, protests Vicki. Julia explains he's been brooding about Vicki's suffering, and the only thing to do is tell her the dream. Leave, orders, Julia, pack and I'll take you away. They head quickly upstairs to do that, but the front door opens and Barnabas stands there, looking like a little boy about to do something very bad. The two women's mouths drop open in horror.

Barnabas tells Vicki they're going to talk, and she orders him to leave. She closes herself in the drawing room and Julia says he can't go in there. There's another way out-call Stokes, he might be able to stop this. No, orders Barnabas, it's too late. They'll have to tell Stokes things he shouldn't know. He might save you, points out Julia. Barnabas says his fate was sealed the moment Angelique came back, why fight it? She bars the door, but he says, "Get out of the way, Julia, I'm going in." Slowly, she walks away. Barnabas enters the drawing room, where Vicki seems to be trying to hide next to a piece of furniture. He walks toward her and tells her he's ready. No, she protests, backing away from him, I won't tell you the dream-I'll keep doing so until Cassandra gives up--go away! We both know she will never give up, says Barnabas, and Vicki again pleads with him to go away. They go back and forth, Julia listening outside the doors. What did you see happen to me in the dream? he demands. She says she can't tell him-I don't want to see you die! She covers her mouth, horrified at her revelation. He realizes she saw him die at the end of the dream, and begs her to tell him everything, from the beginning. We can't let her win, protests Vicki, but Barnabas says the evil that has plagued Collinwood will be over when she tells him the dream-HE is the one Cassandra wants. Why? asks Vicki. What does she have against you? He hesitates, unable to tell the truth, then says it's because he's Barnabas' ancestor, and all who bear his name will share the same fate. History books say Barnabas went to England, but that isn't true, says Vicki--he stayed in Collinsport and died soon after marrying Angelique--he died in the Old House, and that's what the last line of the riddle means-one door leads to the point of return- return to death. Something worse, mutters Barnabas, but Vicki doesn't hear this.
She begs him to go away, she's so tired. You'll keep having the dream, he says, until your life is one long, continual nightmare. "I have loved very few things in my lifetime," he says gently, "but Vicki, I love you-I will go to my grave before seeing your life destroyed." This convinces her as nothing else could. He seats her on the sofa, sits beside her, and says, "Begin from the beginning." The dream begins with a knock on the door, says Vicki.

Julia waits in the foyer. When Barnabas exits, his eyes shadowed, she knows Vicki has told him the dream. "She's crying in there," he says, "go comfort her." "I want to stay with you," protests Julia. Again, he orders her to make sure Vicki is all right. He leaves, walking as if in pain, and Julia returns to the drawing room and to a sobbing Vicki. Julia assures her she won't feel frightened anymore. When Vicki asks if there's anything they can do for Barnabas, Julia replies, no, not anymore. We can't let him die! insists Vicki. Julia laments that there is so little time left, and time has always been Barnabas' greatest enemy--whenever he's needed it most, it's always run out on him, more cruel to him than any witch could ever be. (one sad, too true speech.) Vicki comments that Barnabas and Julia are very close, and Julia agrees-very, very close--smiling slightly, hopefully. Vicki tells her how sorry she is. Julia says Barnabas was right, Vicki had to do what she did. Cassandra comes in and asks why Vicki is crying. Julia rises from the sofa, walks over to Cassandra, and slaps her, hard, across the face.
(It's one of DS' most satisfying moments.) You will be sorry you did that, Cassandra promises. Julia gazes at her, and without a word, walks out. Vicki comes over and tells Cassandra, you deserve a good deal more than a slap in the face! She, too, leaves the witch alone. Cassandra massages her face, smiling proudly.

At the Old House, Barnabas has a red pill in his hand (I believe it's a vitamin in real life). He swallows it with water. Julia comes in and is terribly upset to learn that he's taken the sleeping pill-she brought him a stimulant! Barnabas says he knows it's inevitable, and he wants to go with some measure of dignity. (Oh, the sad look on poor Julia's face!) He wants to get it over with. While he's awake, there's some slim hope, she says, but he denies this-and the pill is beginning to take effect. I've already given Willie his instructions, says Barnabas-after it's over, he will come to the Old House and assist him. (line mixup here, I think.) When I revert to what I was, you must help him-Willie will bring a stake and hammer and you must drive it through my heart. I can't, she says, walking away from him. He reminds her of the living hell he experienced, alive by night, dead by day-do you want me to live that life again? No, she says, and reluctantly promises to do as he asks.
Barnabas leans back against the chair, thanking her, and falls asleep. She calls out his name and shakes him, but his slumber is deep. She sits down in the other chair, watching, waiting.

Barnabas' dream: His beckoner is Cassandra. I knew it could only be you, he says, but I expected Angelique, not Cassandra. He follows her, arm outstretched, to door #1. He tells her he no longer fears her or what's in the room, and she closes the door behind him with a smile. Which door is it? he demands, tell me, I'll take it, and you'll have won. She recites the riddle to him. He hears the music, sees the doors, recognizes Josette's music box. The skull. . .the laughing bride. ..the guillotine. . .the blazing head of light. . .again, Cassandra recites the final line of the riddle. . ."the point of return, Barnabas, the point of return. . ." He follows the head of light, his face going to black and white for a moment, and it leads him to the Old House door. He enters his home. The point of return, he says. "Well, I have come to the point of return, what are you waiting for?" he cries. "Bring your beast in from the window and be finished with me! I am ready, I am ready." Barnabas begs Cassandra to be merciful for once in her life, I am here, you've won, get it over with! Barnabas awakens, calling, "Cassandra!" and sees Julia waiting in the chair.
She asks if he's all right. He tells her he had the dream, but nothing happened. Both are puzzled. Wonderingly, he says it happened just as Vicki described it--I came through the door and into the room, and was waiting for the end to come-and it never did!-did you jar me awake? No, I just watched you sleep, she replies. He is jubilant, but Julia wonders why this dream is different from the others. Exultant, he says I've won-I wasn't meant to survive the dream, but I did, and now I'm free of Angelique! Julia is wary--how can you be so sure? Something went wrong with the dream curse, guesses Barnabas. Julia protests this seems too easy. Barnabas is sure it's all over now, and orders Julia to go get Willie from the basement. Julia wants them to go down there together, she doesn't want him alone, but Barnabas says nonsense--go get him. (oh, we just KNOW this is bad!) Barnabas is grinning happily-until he hears a knock at his door. He goes to answer, asking who's there, but there is no response. "Who is it?" he asks. Foolishly, he opens the door, steps out, and looks around. He hears the squeaking of a bat, and horrified, screams out "NO!" as the animal homes in and attacks his throat. He falls to the ground, writhing, clutching his wounded neck, as a woman's laughter fills the air.

NOTES: Is Barnabas going to be forced back into the existence he despised? After all he's gone through, has Angelique won? Will he now be a vampire for eternity?

Sad scenes. Julia wants more than anything to save Barnabas, be with Barnabas, do whatever she can to ease his suffering. His scenes with Vicki and with Julia are touching, and what makes them even sadder is the knowledge that Barnabas loves the young girl who doesn't love him back, but does not appreciate or love the older woman who would probably give her life for him. Barnabas and Vicki are willing to sacrifice for each other, but you know Julia would give her life to save Barnabas this torment. Why did he insist she go down to the basement without him? Have past events taught him nothing? He knows how Angelique's mind works-why did he allow himself to be left alone?

Love, Robin

vampire675

Re: Robservations 6/24/02 - #534/535 - The Point of Return?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2002, 02:36:22 AM »
Finally the infamous Dream Curse draws to a close, with Barnabas Collins as the 12th recipient.
I tend to agree with Nicholas Blair, that Cassandra was dragging out the revenge she was supposed to be getting on Barnabas way too long.
She could have achieved the same goal with the Dream Curse passing thru half as many people as it did. Oh, well. :D
Now, the question will be, how will the bat-attack on Barnabas affect Adam? Remember, his life-force is tied to Barnabas, and he feels whatever is inflicted on him.
   vampire675

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2002, 08:30:33 PM »
vampire675,

I hope you'll continue to post your comments under Robservations even though the dream curse has reached its end.

:)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2002, 10:11:55 AM »
vampire675,

I hope you'll continue to post your comments under Robservations even though the dream curse has reached its end.
So do I, vampire675!  Thank you so much for your comments about the dream curse!

Love, Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2002, 09:47:15 PM »
vampire675,

I hope you'll continue to post your comments

And so do I. "Newbies" who keep posting definitely have a reward in store for them. [wink2]

And BTW, I love that you've picked that Barnabas avatar. [thumb]

DVD

Re:Robservations 6/24/02 - #534/535 - The Point of Return?
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 03:05:41 PM »
DVD episodes for January 27th and 28th.

The 1st and 2nd episodes on Set#9/Disc#1 (1st and 2nd episodes on MPI tape Volume #61).