Author Topic: Breaking and Entering  (Read 1713 times)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Breaking and Entering
« on: June 18, 2002, 06:30:13 PM »
Didn't the Collinsport Police have the breaking and entering law.  If they did, they didn't enforce it.  

Take today.  It's 2 in the morning, here comes Peter/Jeff, barging in.  He informs Roger that he's going to go and tell Vickie (I don't understand) Winters, now get this, something that he remembered.  Roger tells him that it's 2 in the morning, and he's not going to go wake up Vickie (I don't understand). Peter/Jeff tells Roger that he's going to go up there and tell her and he can't stop him.

He's not the only one who does this thing.   There's Joe Haskell, who's constantly going to the Old House and demanding to search the place.  If I were Willie, I'd carry a gun too.

And there's the King of them all......Burke Devlin.  This guy thinks he's the mayor of Collinsport.  In his mind, I guess he is.  He's going to everybody's house, telling them that something is strange in town, demands that he "search" the house.  If you say no, which no one ever did, he's going to do it anyway.

HELLO!!!!!

Call the darn Police. They'll probably tell you that you are hiding something.

Barnabas, Roger, even Quentin, never did nothing like this.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking and Entering
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 04:39:01 AM »

Take today.  It's 2 in the morning, here comes Peter/Jeff, barging in.  He informs Roger that he's going to go and tell Vickie (I don't understand) Winters, now get this, something that he remembered.  Roger tells him that it's 2 in the morning, and he's not going to go wake up Vickie (I don't understand). Peter/Jeff tells Roger that he's going to go up there and tell her and he can't stop him.

What I found even more absured today was when our clueless heroine, who has been trying for what seems far too long to convince him that he is Peter Bradford, now tries to convince him that he can't be sure.  Huh?

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 04:50:27 AM »
Evidently news of the Bill of Rights never actually made its way to Collinsport . . .

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 08:48:03 AM »
Didn't the Collinsport Police have the breaking and entering law.  If they did, they didn't enforce it.  

He's not the only one who does this thing.   There's Joe Haskell, who's constantly going to the Old House and demanding to search the place.  If I were Willie, I'd carry a gun too.

And there's the King of them all......Burke Devlin.  This guy thinks he's the mayor of Collinsport.  In his mind, I guess he is.  He's going to everybody's house, telling them that something is strange in town, demands that he "search" the house.  If you say no, which no one ever did, he's going to do it anyway.

HELLO!!!!!

Call the darn Police. They'll probably tell you that you are hiding something.

Barnabas, Roger, even Quentin, never did nothing like this.

i thought it was so funny when Barnabas tells Willie he doesn't need that gun! hey how many times has barnabas been wrong! i don't blame Wille either sometimes i think he is the only one that makes sense
and also got the feeling he needed that sleep nick gave him!

jeninfer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 09:29:22 AM »

What I found even more absured today was when our clueless heroine, who has been trying for what seems far too long to convince him that he is Peter Bradford, now tries to convince him that he can't be sure.  Huh?

LOL!!  I can't agree with you more!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2002, 04:19:36 PM »
Collinsport, Maine is about as lawless a place as you're likely to find.  My own egregious favorite is the commitment and release of Willie Loomis.

Did they take him before a judge and prove he was crazy?  Did they prove he was the one who kidnapped Maggie?  Did anyone consider a Civil Suit against the police department for excessive force?....after they shot an unarmed man 5 times?....in the back?  Did he have a LAWYER?!!

GETTING him committed was bad enough.....but getting him out was nothing short of a crime itself!

Julia Hoffman just shows up one day....after months of ignoring her patient except for glancing at "reports" from some underling at Wyndcliffe.....and just snaps her fingers!!....."Pack his bags, I'm taking him home!"

No review of his case by a state appointed psychiatrist?....no hearing before a judge?...no opportunity for the "victim" and the community to voice their opposition?

And I haven't heard a single "you have the right to remain silent" from anyone!!!

Yes, of course doing all those things would have slowed the show's momentum to a crawl (an even SLOWER crawl, okay?)....but they could have covered all these gapping errors with just a little dialogue, couldn't they?

Yep....lawlessness run amok....that's our Collinsport.

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2002, 06:39:11 AM »
Collinsport, Maine is about as lawless a place as you're likely to find.

Well, folks in Collinsport are too busy ducking dream curses and having seances and walking in the woods at night.

And the women are too busy hoping Barnabas doesn't fall in love with them or bite them or use them as a life force in one of his and Julia's wacky experiments.

Who has time to worry about actual law breakers?!

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2002, 07:28:21 AM »
The Old House was the place where people just barged or broke in the most. I don't blame Jeff/Peter for going to Collinwood at 2 a.m., I would be anxious too after having a dream like that. He admitted to Victoria that he was Peter Bradford, but in a later episode, when Eve/Danielle Roget' calls him Peter Bradford, he denies it. I agree with Raineypark that Collinsport, Maine is about as lawless a place as you're likely to find, lots of ex cons there too. Harry Johnson was the master of breaking and entering. He had a real technique.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2002, 04:43:20 PM »
Harry Johnson was the master of breaking and entering. He had a real technique.

You're going to have to refresh my memory here as I usually try to wipe all Harry Johnson scenes from my memory.  Most of the characters contented themselves with simply lifting up a window, swinging a leg over the sash and comin' on in.  I do recall a couple of people swiping keys.  And then there were a very few instances where I recall someone trying to jimmy open locks.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2002, 05:25:10 PM »
I won't waste my time trying to refresh your memory, Luciaphil. You'll see it when it comes on. Your bad comments about my favorite character and my enthusiasm for him don't go together.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2002, 06:07:22 PM »
I won't waste my time trying to refresh your memory, Luciaphil. You'll see it when it comes on. Your bad comments about my favorite character and my enthusiasm for him don't go together.

CS, I have to confess that I don't recall any specific incidents of his breaking and entering either but then again there are a lot of scenes that I need to see again in order to refresh my memory.  :)

But regarding what just happened, I'm sorry her comment bothered you but I wish (easier said than done, I know!) there was some way you could not feel hurt if someone says something negative about your favorite actor.  My feeling is that in our discussions, we should be able to openly express our dislike for certain characters, actors, or performances to the same extent that others may want to express their ardor for the same things, and I honestly don't think that by expressing her lack of enthusiasm for Harry, Luciaphil set out to damper yours.  Am I making sense?, cuz I was only interrupted about 10 times since I started writing this reply. ;)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2002, 07:39:58 PM »
Sorry to have to say this, but I know people that won't come near the DS boards because of things like this. There are scenes of Harry Johnson breaking and entering at Collinwood, and the Old House, as you will see. Yes, Luciaphil's comment did bother me. I certainly can't say I like it. I believe in being polite and courteous. Even if I didn't like someone, and I knew there is someone here who adores the person and has great enthusiasm for them, I would not say such a thing. Nobody wants to read trash about their favorite character/actor. There are opinions and there is also courtesy. I draw the line between the two. My enthusiasm, love, etc. for Noah Gifford/Harry Johnson (Craig Slocum) will never be dampered by anyone. That isn't what I meant  when I said, "Your bad comments about my favorite character and my enthusiasm don't go together". It was a polite way of saying to Luciaphil, I don't think friendship is in our realm here under these circumstances. This is all I have to say on this. I come here for fun not nonsense.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2002, 10:42:57 PM »

It's nothing personal.  I thought that Slocum did a nice job of bringing a seediness to the character and I liked his rapport with Clarice Blackburn a lot.  You just knew there was backstory there between Harry and his mama.

I just wasn't (and you'll have to pardon the pun ;) ) wild about Harry.  It probably had to do with the godawful Experiment.  After awhile, I wanted to take everyone connected with it (and that includes Nicholas, Eve, and Stokes) and beat their heads against a wall or something . . . I try not to remember too much about the plot until I have to.  

No intention to offend.

Luciaphil

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2002, 07:29:15 AM »
Sorry to have to say this, but I know people that won't come near the DS boards because of things like this.

No need to apologize for saying that.  I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to, but if you're willing to email me off the boards I'd like to hear your thoughts about it.

Yes, Luciaphil's comment did bother me. I certainly can't say I like it. I believe in being polite and courteous.

Politeness and courtesy (netiquette) are expected from everyone, as the 1st forum guideline states.

Even if I didn't like someone, and I knew there is someone here who adores the person and has great enthusiasm for them, I would not say such a thing. Nobody wants to read trash about their favorite character/actor.

It's great that you hold back so as to not hurt someone else's feelings, but the philosophy of these forums has never been that someone can't express a negative opinion about a character or storyline (or whatever the DS topic) simply because it's a favorite of someone else's.

There are opinions and there is also courtesy. I draw the line between the two.

All opinions are welcome here as long as they're within the forum guidelines.

My enthusiasm, love, etc. for Noah Gifford/Harry Johnson (Craig Slocum) will never be dampered by anyone. That isn't what I meant  when I said, "Your bad comments about my favorite character and my enthusiasm don't go together". It was a polite way of saying to Luciaphil, I don't think friendship is in our realm here under these circumstances.

Okay.  Thanks for explaining.