Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0673  (Read 1104 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0673
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0673
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
My god, there are loaded weapons all over that house!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »
My god, there are loaded weapons all over that house!

Didn't you love the '60s?! No such thing as a lock box for guns and ammo back then!!  [hall2_rolleyes]

Though to be fair, it was seemingly a time when most kids were smart enough to respect the fact that guns aren't toys and they should stay away from them...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
Funny, until I read Midnite's post, I was thinking that the gun that Julia took was the same one that Roger wielded the other night when he fell down the stairs.  I now realize my mistake.  Same gun in our universe (I think - I know even less about guns than I do about shoes) but different gun in the Dark Shadows universe.

Either way, Julia was quite brave, going out in the night when she knew there was a vicious animal on the loose.   The gun wouldn't have been much help if the wolf had attacked her from behind, even if it (the werewolf, not the gun) had been vulnerable to regular bullets.  I keep coming back to lori54's remark from last year that Julia is a daredevil.  The strange thing is that although Julia went out to keep Amy from going out, Amy would have been safer than Julia, because the wolf apparently does not want to attack Amy.

We had our second sighting of Beth today, about a month after the first.  I love it when we're kept hanging for ages waiting for another look at an obviously important new character.

When Chris expressed his relief, after Barnabas had left, that Carolyn hadn't been killed, it sounded very real and heartfelt.  Nice job by Don Briscoe.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 02:18:49 PM »
It must have really been a deja vu moment when Barnabas shot at the werewolf, and the werewolf didn't die. [hall2_shocked] I like how Barnabas was slowly figuring out the secret about Chris. [thumb]

This was the ghost of Beth's second appearance. [milestone] I like the dichotomy between Quentin and Beth. Quentin wanted to hurt people, and Beth wanted to help them. It was really eerie when Amy was "possessed" by Beth as she was talking to Julia. Amy followed Beth's instructions and burned Chris's shirt without understanding why she was doing it.  [hall2_undecided]

I thought it was rather touching when Amy was so worried about Chris. [hall2_cry] She knew on some level that something was wrong with him, but she didn't know exactly what it was.  Although we did not see it onscreen, I believe she must have had those feelings about Tom, too.  [hall2_sad]  It was sweet of Julia to lie to Amy about Chris, but I'm surprised that Amy believed her and her feelings of dread had disappeared.  [hall2_rolleyes]

I noticed another discrepancy (blooper) in this episode. When Carolyn left Chris's cottage, she didn't close the door. Later, when Julia went there, the door was closed. [signerror]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
It must have really been a deja vu moment when Barnabas shot at the werewolf, and the werewolf didn't die. [hall2_shocked]

LOL, I didn't think of that!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 06:15:49 PM »
If Beth is the force for good and Quentin evil, then when Amy is doing evil things is she possessed by Quentin?
I was thinking the same thing about the guns, but then I thought about it and my Dad had an open gun rack in their bedroom full of loaded guns and it would have been in the living room but my Mom didn't want it cluttering up the house.  None of us children or friends had any interest in it but then, we had our own toy guns to play with.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
When Amy and David lured Madame Findley into the West Wing, for example, it was at Quentin's instruction, not Beth's.

But has Beth's ghost always been completely good, same as Quentin's is portrayed as pure evil?  She seems to have had no qualms about possessing Amy and communes with her as often as she needs to use her.  It's unclear how much of it was to please or appease Quentin, but again and again she stood by as his ghost destroyed and even killed, and we'll soon learn that Beth [spoiler]*is* strong enough to defy him, same as she was in life.[/spoiler]

In the source material, the governess is convinced that the ghost of Miss Jessel (Beth's counterpart) is out to corrupt Flora, the little girl in The Turn of the Screw.  It is intriguing, however, that Miss Jessel was seen in a black mourning dress whereas Beth is in white lace with a crisp blue bow.  But anyway, Beth doesn't seem so ethically "black and white" to me-- more like "gray" morals?-- and I think her ghost is all the more interesting for it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 12:41:59 AM »
Even in a fantasy like DS, I think we should resist the impulse to look at people or forces as "good" or "evil".  Maybe a big contribution DS made was to take supernatural creatures and forces, and show them acting in the real world in a more complicated way, not necessarily good or evil, but exhibiting the weaknesses and conflicted motivations that real flesh and blood humans do, even with some entity such as Satan involved in the story, say.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor