Author Topic: Dan Curtis' Dead of Night (1977) Comes to DVD  (Read 3402 times)

David

Re: Dan Curtis' Dead of Night (1977) Comes to DVD
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 03:47:40 AM »
Joan Hackett is wonderful in Curtis Harrington's creepy How Awful About Alan (1970).
She's buried at Hollywood Forever, the old cemetery on Santa Monica Blvd where Valentino, Peter Lorre & many others lie in rest.

Hacket's plaque reads: "Go Away: I'm asleep!"

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 05:40:10 AM »
Which leads one to ask? Why in the hell did they remake Psycho? Just stupid! IMO  Hollywood is getting TOO remake happy.  If the first one sucks then maybe, but Psycho?  NO! LOL 

I don't mind Reimaginings, but I don't really like straight out remakes!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »
Which leads one to ask? Why in the hell did they remake Psycho? Just stupid! IMO  Hollywood is getting TOO remake happy.  If the first one sucks then maybe, but Psycho?  NO! LOL 

I don't mind Reimaginings, but I don't really like straight out remakes!

Actually, remaking PSYCHO was not at all stupid, if you take into consideration the filmmaker's intent.  The gist of Van Sant's point in making it was, "They always remake movies that weren't all that great or were maybe just OK, and try to improve them.  What if you remade a movie that was already perfect the first time it was done?"

What Van Sant did was take the original screenplay and remake the film with new actors, an up-to-date setting, color film, etc., and see how it would turn out.  I think this project was entirely Van Sant's idea as an artist, not the studio's idea as a moneymaking scheme.  It was actually a very interesting project, with (in my opinion) a mixed outcome.  If you take it by itself, forgetting the existence of the original, it's an OK film.  (One extremely fatal flaw was Vince Vaughn's performance as Norman Bates--he comes across as crazy and not all that likeable from the start, not sympathetic like Anthony Perkins was in the original.)

To bring this back on topic:  I'm really looking forward to seeing DEAD OF NIGHT.  I saw DARKNESS AT BLAISEDON at a DS fest many, many years ago, but wasn't all that crazy about it.  DEAD OF NIGHT sounds like it should be better.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »
A review from fangoriaonline.com: DEAD OF NIGHT (DVD Review)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 02:52:48 AM »
another DEAD OF NIGHT DVD review here
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:27 AM »
 Anyhow..I really want to see this.  I saw the promos somewhere and thought it looked really good!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/