Author Topic: OT: Forrest J Ackerman: The End May Be Near  (Read 1071 times)

David

OT: Forrest J Ackerman: The End May Be Near
« on: November 05, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »
 [hall2_cry]

Forrest J. Ackerman, now 91 years old, is quite ill.
According to the Classic Horror Film Board, the end may be near.

During the 1960s run of Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, Ackerman, as edtor, put Jonathan Frid on the cover twice and did two really nice DS stories.
HODS & NODS were also FM cover stories.

During the 1980s, I saw Ackerman at a DS Fest in LA.
He was not a guest~~he was there as a fan!

The Classic Horror Film Board says that cards may be sent to:
4511 Russell Ave
LA CA 90027

needless to say, wish him well, say thank you for his work.
but don't tell him "Goodbye"!!!

David 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Forrest J Ackerman: The End May Be Near
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
Thanks, David.  I had heard this news through the grapevine.  Really quite sad.

Uncle Forry was in a number of films as a cameo performer, always a fun turn.  His mag offered up my first visions of the magic of fantasy films, horror and, as he liked to call it "scientifiction."  I have a memory of my grandfather buying a copy of FM for my sister and me on an outing when I was 7 or so, to my mother's chagrin. 

I don't think younger fans today realize how much FM and similar mags meant to us back in those pre-Internet, pre-DVD days.  They were a vital link with the people and films we loved.

Vale Forry!

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 11:21:31 PM »
I too have been a very avid fan of Famous Monsters...  My prayers are with him.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:32:41 AM »
I met him once when he came to a cabaret show Richard Halpern was doing in LA.  I had heard of him thru other fans but being only 17 hadn't really experienced any of his work.  When my dad introduced me to him I said "Oh yeah!"  he looked so shocked that I would have heard of him.  My thoughts are with him, his family and friends.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:20:15 AM »
How sad!  His work was a part of my youth.  I was, along with my friends, a huge fan of FM.  We were not allowed by our parents to purchase the magazine, but when I was in elementary school (called "grade school" back then), when we walked home, we stopped at the neighborhood druggist (remember those?) to look at the latest issue and stare with fascination at the photos from films we were never allowed to see.  One set that really spooked me was from House on Haunted Hill with the walking skeleton chasing Vincent Price's wife and cornering her, its bony arm raising up as it placed its hand on her shoulder while she tried to shrink away, screaming in terror.  I had nightmares about that one for weeks!  No wonder our parents wouldn't let us buy the magazine, let alone see the movies covered in it.  But it all gave me such a thrill when I was a little lad.  My thoughts are with him.

Gerard

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:44:11 AM »
Wow- who DIDN'T grow up with Mr. Ackerman's magazines?  My best wishes to him.  And when he goes, he'll be reuntied with Boris, Vincent and the rest of the gang......