Author Topic: a lavender menace  (Read 4854 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: a lavender menace
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 02:33:46 AM »
i believe that the three actors in question here were all out themselves later in life.

I understand what you're saying, but the Forum Guidelines address comments concerning the private lives of DS personnel, and the board admins do not recognize word of mouth as a source for the information.

Modifications were made to posts in the topic because we're not aware that the information exists in a published source, nor if they were documented during a public appearance, but if either applies, the posters are welcome to pass the information along to MB or myself and the edits will be restored to their respective posts as soon as one of us is able.  This has always been our policy and the issue has come up many times before, but we hope posters will understand that MB and I can't know about every book, interview, transcript or article that mentions a DS actor, and please know that in situations where we're not aware of the source, "I read somewhere" can seem very vague to us.

I apologize for not posting a response sooner, but I've been without home phone service for more than 24 hours, though thanks to a cell phone, a slightly charged notebook PC, and an ingenious son I made modifications last evening to a couple of posts in this topic.  mscbryk, I realize that you didn't notice the edits and I'm sorry for any confusion this caused.  My service is fully restored and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 03:31:14 AM »
I'd just like to add that I've been very concerned about whether I may have mis-spoken in an offensive way owing to my brain functioning going up and down.   It may be ridiculous for me to presume to talk on gay matters, and I wonder if some posters might be losing patience with me over this.  I'm still in the same sort of clouded brain state as yesterday, so I just can't tell whether I was making sense or not yesterday.  I hope I didn't do any damage of any sort.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 03:42:12 AM »
You didn't do any damage of any sort.

David

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »
I'm aware of a number of DS stars who were openly gay to friends & co-workers, but who never came out to the fan base or general public.

Two did:
Louis Edmonds at a fest & in Craig Hamrick's book Big Lou.
And one other.
He actually mentioned a boyfriend in an early 80s soap mag interview. Is it OK to name him, mods? (because of the mag interview)

Since the others chose to not tell the fans, we should respect their privacy even now, I think.

David

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »
i'm surprised to hear you say this david.

several of the actors on the series are widely known to have been gay.whether or not they publicly chose to "come out to their fans" is somewhat beside the point.it is a simple statement of fact.

this is the year 2008 and i'm simply not going to speak of the subject in hushed,secretive or shameful terms.

sorry if that sounds soapboxy.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »
When the publication (titles & date unknown) surfaces, David.  I've honestly not heard about it before today.

This has been explained, even recently:  If you provide information so that there's no doubt whom you are speaking about, it's the same as saying the person's name.  For that reason, your post was edited very soon after it was submitted, David.

And actually, there are published accounts that more than a few DS personnel, all sadly gone, were gay.

David

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 03:19:59 AM »
i'm surprised to hear you say this david.

several of the actors on the series are widely known to have been gay.whether or not they publicly chose to "come out to their fans" is somewhat beside the point.it is a simple statement of fact.

this is the year 2008 and i'm simply not going to speak of the subject in hushed,secretive or shameful terms.

sorry if that sounds soapboxy.

Hey, I'm with you, out loud & proud.
I'm a big believer in outing closeted, right wing hypocrites.
But if someone chooses to keep their sexuality private & doesn't bother anyone else, then I say let their lives remain private.

Anyway, we all know who's gay & who's not, don't we?

David

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 03:55:43 AM »
Oh yhea..I love Maggie too!!  ..and Josette..and Rachel...There were alot of gay moments on the show but I could say the same thing about Star Trek too and Starsky and Hutch.  Who cares?  Its all that stuff that made it so very special.   [skelleton_runs]   
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 04:01:30 AM »
In asking whose favorite scent was lavender.. Didn't Mrs. J say she could still smell Victoria's scent of lavender when she finally left for good in the show and she and maggie were packing her clothes??  Am I wrong or right? 
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 04:16:26 AM »
Didn't Mrs. J say she could still smell Victoria's scent of lavender when she finally left for good in the show and she and maggie were packing her clothes??  Am I wrong or right?

The first Watching Project reached that ep this past week:
They discuss the fact that Mrs. J took the clothing out. Perhaps a joke, suggests Barnabas, but Mrs. J disagrees. She spots the music box on the desk and demands that Barnabas explain it. Mrs. J is sure "Vicki needs us and is calling to us from wherever she is." She's gone! says Barnabas angrily. Mrs. J suddenly smells the scent of lilac, Vicki's perfume,

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 04:23:48 AM »
 Who cares?  Its all that stuff that made it so very special. 

Ain't That The Truth!!! [128]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
From what I am aware, that's more of a desire for privacy.  Just like everyone else, those who happen to be gay may prefer to keep their private lives private simply because that is a choice. It has nothing to do with being ashamed, wanting to keep "it" a secret.  Being gay is nothing to be ashamed of - it's a sexual orientation, period.  Those actors who may not mention they are gay may not feel it's something to be pointed out anymore than it is to discuss a straight's persons dissolved marriages, extramarital affairs or the fact he/she is dating.  To do so only opens up the questions about who is involved in what, who are you dating, with whom do you live, etc. I don't know any closeted gay people (if I do, I am not aware of it) and I know many gay men of all ages.  Some of them are simply private people.  A lot of the DS personnel are that way, those who come to the conventions.  The more a fan knows about a person's private life, the more dangerous the information can be in the wrong hands.

Nancy

I'm aware of a number of DS stars who were openly gay to friends & co-workers, but who never came out to the fan base or general public.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 09:33:20 PM »
Mrs. J suddenly smells the scent of lilac, Vicki's perfume,

[spoiler]Are you sure that isn't some bizarre time paradox thingy and somehow Daphne's perfume haunted the house several years early and David, in a trance, called Amy Hallie as they were fishing out Victoria's clothes for Daphne to wear?  [hall2_grin][/spoiler]
I'm in a silly mood today.....
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
Ow... you just hurt my head...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
This is probably as good a place as any to ask this question: why is lavender associated with homosexuality?  I'm curious.

I think it's associated with lilacs--the color and the fact that lilacs are considered to be especially feminine flowers. I read that somewhere but can't remember where at the moment. Aren't violets also associated with it as well?

Usage goes back quite far as far as lavender goes....the OED puts it at 1929 (Cole Porter song). Several other references from the 30s and 40s...
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga