Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0652_0653  (Read 4143 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0652_0653
« on: October 14, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
Robservations #652_653

And remember:
Wednesday, October 15: No Episode, originally Wednesday, December 25, 1968 was Christmas

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0652_0653
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
They changed the bedding on Chris's bed.  Yesterday the secondary afghan was there, and today it wasn't.

Barnabas was very nice today, and Jonathan Frid did it very nicely.  When Elizabeth asked him if he knew what "that" was, he said, "Just the wind," and there was something beautiful about how he said it.  When they were talking about the sedative that Elizabeth had taken, I thought of Macbeth: "Canst thou not minister to a mind diseased".  I looked it up, and liked the full quote.

As Maggie talked to Amy, I wondered if she had ever babysat Amy.  Then she didn't tell Amy, "Well, at least get your jammies on while we're waiting for Joe to come back," and I decided she hadn't.

If Sam hadn't been killed off, what would the writers be doing with him now that Maggie's leaving home?  Maybe he would make friends with the werewolf.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Watchers!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
Actually, if Alexandra Moltke had stayed on DS, Maggie wouldn't have had any place on the show anymore without Sam & Joe there.  She had no more connection to the Collins family.

Maggie woulld have probably been written off with Joe, perhaps both leaving town together. 
IMHO. Maggie would have become irrelevant.

AM probably would have been Rachael Drummund in 1897.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:35:42 PM »
there seems to be a sort of prevailing "either/or" theory surrounding vicki and maggie in this period...

that if alexandra had not left the series when she did then somehow that would have meant that maggie's days on the show were numbered.that there was one ingenue too many for the series to absorb.

while it is true that if alexandra(and subsequently the victoria character)had not left than maggie would not have taken over as collinwood governess the two characters nicely coexisted on the show for nearly three years.there was enough storyline five days a week to go around for them both.

i think maggie would just have been given another(perhaps lesser)storyline.this is what i wish happened.i like maggie as a separate character with her own life and vicki up at collinwood.

besides i think kathryn leigh scott's association with josette made her too valuable(certainly to the storylines set in the past)to be written out.

and of course all of this depends on what miss scott's contract looked like.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
Merry Christmas to my fellow Watchers!

[8_2_73]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »
In hindsite, it's so easy....

They should have made Chris & Amy to be Maggie's cousins instead of Joe's.  Once Joe left, the Jennings/Haskell connection became moot. 

They would have had to do this beginning with Tom Jennings, but JC probably didn't yet decide to leave the show (possibly not even when Chris and Amy first appear either).   The writers put themselves in a corner making Tom Joe's cousin, but no one knew at the time.

In this scenario KLS would have had her own storyline with AM on the series involving Amy & Chris.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »
Joeytrom, that's kinda brilliant!

When Joe settled past business with Maggie in this ep and told her that he plans to leave Collinsport, possibly for good, didn't that make what does happen to his beloved character totally unnecessary?

They changed the bedding on Chris's bed.  Yesterday the secondary afghan was there, and today it wasn't.

How disappointing!  And yet the primary one is shown in Maggie's cottage.  Do we ever see both afghans in the same episode?  Could there be some special clause about this in the afghan's contract?

If Sam hadn't been killed off, what would the writers be doing with him now that Maggie's leaving home?  Maybe he would make friends with the werewolf.

LOL

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 01:02:24 AM »
This would have been a great last episode for Joe, there was no need to go any further.

This reminds me of General Hospital back in 1991 when Robert & Anna announced they were leaving town and the next week  Anna is kidnapped & Robert goes after her and both appear to die in a sinking boat.

When Joe settled past business with Maggie in this ep and told her that he plans to leave Collinsport, possibly for good, didn't that make what does happen to his beloved character totally unnecessary?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:33:46 AM »
I agree that the writers should have had Joe leave town as he had planned, instead of settling upon the exit they did give him. I always feel so sad about the circumstances of Joe's departure. He deserved to walk off in the sunset...[spoiler] not wind up at Windcliff. [/spoiler]

I loved the conversation between Joe and Maggie. It also saddens me that, despite their being free from the likes of Angelique and Nicholas, these two just couldn't seem to get together again.  It was nice though that they could agree to be friends.

I agree that if Alexandra hadn't left the show, Maggie's days on DS might have been numbered. I don't know what else they could have done with her had Vicki not disappeared and she got the gig as the new governess.

From waitress to governess....only in Collinsport. LOL

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 03:23:37 AM »
I thought Maggie looked so out of place in Collinwood in her mod dress.  I'm not sure Dan Curtis could let a character fade off into the sunset it was  wyndcliff, widow's hill, or some violent murder. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:08:12 AM »
Well, Wyndcliff always gave that actor (and/or their character) the option of returning to the show. Then again, even in death, actors lived on as ghosts of their former DS selves, or came back as an ancestor, identical brother (Tom & Chris), and such.

Chuckled over the dead silence in the room when Barnabas is telling Joe & Maggie about Vicki's disappearance, and someone (Frid?) forgets their next line. Finally, Maggie (KLS) sighs and says something about going to see Mrs. Stoddard, and the action moves on.

Enjoyed the scene between Barnabas & Amy. Frid has a warm comfort level in his moments with Denise Nickerson that sometimes seemed lacking in the Barnabas/David (David Henesy) scenes.  Maybe it's the Barnabas/Sarah connection.... does Barn see Sarah in Amy?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:17 AM »
This reminds me of General Hospital back in 1991 when Robert & Anna announced they were leaving town and the next week  Anna is kidnapped & Robert goes after her and both appear to die in a sinking boat.

I love General Hospital past and present, but not present as much. I got into it in the 1990's with Luke & Laura's return and Stone and Robin  [hall_sad] I love her.  IM me sometime if ya wanna!   [hall2_grin] Sorry Mods I will get on topic!

Barnabas tells Liz she needs a sedative, these people think that is the cure for everything! It's crazy! LOL  Liz hears the Widows wailing which intertwines with the past and I like the continuity from days gone by.  Here we go with the KLS ingenue ::EYE ROLL:: sorry guys but I just finished  watching early Dark Shadows and I enjoy that Maggie the best! Plus let's face it she was only put there because she was needed after AM left.  Trust me I love me some Katie Lee Star (LOL)  however, her latter characters and Maggie's new incarnation I don't like.  And the sad thing is she is an AMAZING actress who didn't need this type of roll.  My ONLY later favorite KLS character is [spoiler]Lady Kitty![/spoiler]  I also don't think KLS would have been killed off because of Josette and Dan apparently liking her.  Accordking to KLS Dan told her she would never work again! Maggie/KLS seems excited and up to the challenge of her new role! And like I said the thing is she is so good (as an actress) I just have a hard time liking this Maggie. Sorry for ranting!

Again I wish Joe [spoiler] could have just left the show on good terms![/spoiler]

Nice transition (and good thinking from a writer/directors part to move the show along in that manner) with Barnabas being on the phone  cutting to Joe and Maggie suddenly sitting on the couch! Barny is encouraging Liz take another sedative??  LORD! 

This is crazy but I wrote this in my notes, I hope y'all don't think I am weird but it was a thought and I found it a rather funny one! In the prudish daytime 60's I wondered if Joe picked up Maggie's unmentionables!  Probably not, she probably retrieved them later.  I think we have talked (on this board) asking ourselves were the character sexually active, no? I guess that is what prompted that thought.

The werewolf stunt was great and loud and exciting and a Milestone I think E Rose.  Wasn't this the first time a werewolf came through a window??

Great EPISODE!   [8_1_202]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »
Do we ever see both afghans in the same episode?  Could there be some special clause about this in the afghan's contract?
Could it be that the primary afghan and the secondary afghan are played by the same blanket?  It would be quite a make-up challenge for Vinnie Loscalzo.

I wondered if Joe picked up Maggie's unmentionables!  Probably not, she probably retrieved them later.
I wondered that myself this week,  If Joe didn't get any clean underwear for Maggie, then would she, on her very first night as governess at Collinwood, be rinsing out her underwear and hanging it out for everybody to see in the bathroom?  If there is a bathroom at Collinwood, that is.

Something I forgot to mention previously...We see Maggie at the Evans cottage sitting on the sofa cutting some material, apparently as part of some sewing project.  Surely she would have done better to lay the material flat on a table when she cut it, and surely Kathryn Leigh Scott knew that.

As for Maggie being superfluous in the show if Vicky had stuck around...Maggie started out on the show as a coffeeshop waitress, and was promoted to Alternate Ingenue by dint of Kathryn Leigh Scott's drive and determination.  There was no way Maggie was going to leave the show before KLS's drive and determination decided to point itself in another direction.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 05:00:20 PM »
Wasn't this the first time a werewolf came through a window??

Do you remember this?...

[hall_wink]

Could it be that the primary afghan and the secondary afghan are played by the same blanket?  It would be quite a make-up challenge for Vinnie Loscalzo.

Heh heh!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 12:53:43 AM »
I remember it now Midnite.  Thanks again for helping me remember things! LOL
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/