Author Topic: 1967 Laura Story  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
1967 Laura Story
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »
I have finished watching Collector's Series 5 and have been enjoying the Laura story more this time then the first time I saw it on the Sci Fi Channel.  Others have commented that it was actually DS at it's very best and while I don't entirely agree with that, this is actually a unique time in DS:

- The focus is on characters independent of the rest of the series who aren't referred to much afterwards.
- Carolyn is the mistress of the house, changing the dynamic of the setting
- The writers are using every character (except Maggie, who it's odd to see just on the sidelines this time) organically in the plot.
- All the characters are aware something is wrong and know/suspect that one character is the center of it.
- There is a "team-up" feel to the story as everyone wants to get the bad guy.
- A live outdoor scene showing a cactus!
- The only morgue scene on the show

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Laura Story
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »
The focus is on characters independent of the rest of the series who aren't referred to much afterwards.

Joeytrom...can you be more specific on this point?

I too had to go through a couple of complete watchings before I fully appreciated the 1966 stories; I was only used to Barnabas et al.

I enjoy the feel of everyone working to 'catch the bad guy'.

I wish** I could remember the live outdoor shot of the cactus....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:01:01 AM »
The Laura Story just recently has become my second favorite story on DS and I haven't even finished it!! LOL  [8_1_202]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:36:42 PM »
the laura collins storyline is somewhat self-contained in that it doesn't much affect the continuity of what became before or after it.it stands alone.

but apart from laura and dr.guthrie it's focus characters are pretty much the same ones(minus barnabas,julia and angelique of course)that populate the first two or three years of the series.some stay with the series for it's entire run.

i too love the "team spirit" of this storyline.it's like they're all in this together.in later years the cast expands the the plots become large and unweildy.this is very tight.it's very close to being my favorite storyline.

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.