Author Topic: #0291/0292: Robservations 12/19/01: Julia's Amazing Offer  (Read 1424 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0291/0292: Robservations 12/19/01: Julia's Amazing Offer
« on: December 18, 2001, 06:57:59 PM »
291 - (Grayson Hall) - Death rushes by, silently, unnoticed, but there are times when we invite him in deliberately. For one who sought this meeting, it could be a fatal encounter.

Julia's bedroom - Why have you been waiting for me? Asks a truly puzzled Barnabas. Because I know what you are, she says--I've seen you in your coffin. When Barnabas reaches out for her throat and begins to strangle her, she chokes out that she's a doctor. I can help you, she tells him--I've studied your condition in great detail and believe it can be cured. She goes on to explain that his blood cells are being destroyed faster than they can be replaced, and she wants to create an artificial plasma which will not deteriorate.
Barnabas doesn't believe her, but is nevertheless intrigued by her offer.

Barnabas and Julia return to the Old House. Does anyone else know your true identity and mission? demands Barnabas--there must be complete trust between us. Only Dave Woodard knows she's a doctor, says Julia, but no one else knows about Barnabas. Willie joins them, and he's told about Julia's plans to cure Barnabas. Take Julia down to the basement to find her a room to use for a laboratory, orders Barnabas. Julia goes along with Willie, but doesn't look especially happy.

At the Collinsport Hospital, Sam and Joe accost Dave coming out of surgery. Why is Julia at Collinwood? they demand--and why hasn't she made more progress with Maggie? Dave tries his best to calm them down, but they refuse to be mollified.
"I've had too many secrets in my life," says an angry Sam, and bolts out, threatening to "bust this thing wide open." If Dr. Hoffman doesn't level with us, Joe says, I feel the same way.

Having left Julia in the basement to map out her lab, Willie comes upstairs. I'm not sure I can trust her, Barnabas says--I'm going to kill her! Willie tries to argue him out of it, but Barnabas doesn't want to take a chance--besides, says the vampire, even a cure wouldn't break my power over you.
Barnabas goes back and forth on the issue, unsure of whether or not to trust this doctor, then finally decides it would be better to do away with her--now. When Julia comes upstairs, Barnabas sends Willie down to the basement with the excuse that he can begin cleaning the area Julia chose. It will be a few days before I can begin the experiments, Julia informs Barnabas, but as she prepares to leave, Barnabas blocks her way. I've changed my mind, he tells her. When even Julia's promise of a cure doesn't calm Barnabas down, he grabs her around the throat. That's when she plays her trump card--Maggie Evans is alive, and well hidden--if you kill me, then Maggie will eventually regain her memory--but if you let me live, I'll make sure Maggie's memory never returns.
"My life guarantees your security," Julia warns him--"destroy me and you destroy yourself!"

NOTES: How intriguing this was! Both I and the friend with whom I spent that week by the sea thought the idea of a lady doctor curing a vampire was a unique and exciting premise, and couldn't wait to see it unfold. Besides, Barnabas was so paranoid about anyone finding out about him, we were sure he'd never allow Dr. Hoffman to live long. Then there was poor Willie, hoping that if Barnabas were cured, he would be free--but Barnabas insists that isn't true. Isn't that incorrect? If Barnabas were freed of his vampire curse, wouldn't all his victims return to normal? I didn't quite understand that statement, unless Barnabas was just making sure Willie would THINK he'd still be under Barnabas' control even if cured.

Then there's Julia's blackmail. She came prepared, of course, because she knows Barnabas is skeptical and scared, and she had better have something BIG to hang over his head--or easily lose her life. She spends so much of this portion of the storyline with Barnabas' hands around her throat that it becomes almost a joke after a while!

I still find these scenes electrifying. Julia and Barnabas, uneasy enemies/friends, destined to be so much more in the future. He WANTS to be cured, that much is obvious, and she has a need to do it, not so much for him (yet) but for herself, probably looking for a huge medical prize in the future.

292 - (Alexandra Moltke) - There are those at Collinwood who wear many masks--who they are and what they are doing may depend upon the dark of night, or upon the light of day, for there is no time when evil sleeps. Danger is everywhere at all times; even the dead can be dangerous.

Once again, Julia runs roughshod over Dave Woodard when he demands to know why she is at Collinwood instead of Windcliff, treating Maggie. Julia tells him she is investigating something in the realm of the supernatural, and that Maggie came face to face with that. Also, she excitedly tells Dave, the TWO of them might be on the verge of a major medical breakthrough that will link life and death, and won't it be WONDERFUL when they go down in history for this major contribution? She needs his skill and knowledge, she coaxes, so can he please calm down Joe and Sam while she investigates? He probes further, but she says more knowledge would put him in danger, and until she knows more and can protect him, she would rather keep mum. He all but accuses her of being full of crap,
saying there had better not be any margin for error, but agrees to her terms--again. (She really does know how to wrap him around her little finger; wonder if there was anything between them in med school?)

David finds Sarah sitting on a log in the woods, crying. She's lost something, she sobs-- her friend, Maggie. David is sorry to give her the bad news, but Maggie's dead. Sarah gets angry; she knows who's dead and who isn't, and Maggie is somewhere, but she isn't dead--she would know if she were!
Come home with me for dinner, suggests David.

Burke meets Julia at Collinwood and proceeds to grill her about her business at Collinwood.
He doesn't feel she looks like a historian, so she tells him she's checking into the story of an old sea captain who supposedly buried his treasure in a trunk in the basement (maybe Paul knows where it is : )). He's about to ask her more questions when a radiant Vicki bursts in and says she's in love--with a deserted house by the sea she found. She tells Julia and Burke she's dreamed of a house like this, and felt she belonged there. Burke is eager to see this house, which is apparently so special to someone so special to him.

David enters Collinwood's foyer with Sarah, but when he goes into the drawing room to ask Vicki if she can stay for dinner, Sarah disappears just in time to make it look to Vicki, Julia and Burke like David's "friend" is imaginary. David explains to the adults that Sarah was crying over Maggie, and he wanted to bring her home to dinner to make her feel better. Julia looks perturbed as David explains Sarah's insistence that Maggie isn't dead, that she just went away somewhere. David goes off in a huff when he realizes Vicki and Burke think he imagined Sarah, but Julia suggests they not encourage him to dwell in such a fantasy. Burke sarcastically asks if Julia's a child psychologist, too (heh heh!), but Burke says there's nothing wrong with imaginary friends.
As Vicki and Burke are heading out for dinner (leaving David with Julia, whom they barely know), Vicki finds Sarah's white bonnet on the floor in the foyer, astonishing all adults present.

NOTES: Julia wants everyone to believe Sarah is imaginary now, too, in order to protect Barnabas. This little girl ghost is Barnabas' sister, she realizes, and could very well do something to betray him, and ruin her own important plans. I was always amused at how well Julia got around Dave; how smoothly. Was there a romance between them back then? They act only like friends now, but who knows?

So Sarah's little cap has been found--does that mean the adults will believe she's real--and perhaps that Maggie is alive? Will they stretch their beliefs that far?

Love, Robin