Author Topic: In the Name of the Father / a poll  (Read 2538 times)

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: In the Name of the Father / a poll
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2002, 08:42:20 AM »
Happy Father's Day to all dads on the board, and to all our readers' fathers wherever they may be!

In honor of the special day, which DS character do you think made the best dad? And the worst?  Here are some ideas, though I probably missed somebody, and of course there were unseen fathers and father figures.  Have fun!

1960s & 70s:
Roger
Sam
Richard Garner
Dr. Lang (LOL)
Paul Stoddard
Philip Todd

1795:
Joshua
Reverend Trask

1897:
Quentin
Edward Collins

1970 P.T.:
Quentin Collins
Timothy Stokes

1840:
Daniel Collins
Quentin Collins
Gabriel Collins
Ben Stokes
Mordecai Grimes

1841 P.T.:
Justin Collins
Bramwell Collins

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I feel Bramwell Collins would have shown to be the best of Collins Father's.... just as his love for Catherine
became a  legend so would he be known as a  wonderful Father.   :D

In the field of worst Father's  any of the Trask men
could most likely be known to top that list.  >:(

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 04:20:45 AM »
In my opinion there are two men who stand out as great dads....

First Sam Evans....sure he was an alcoholic and I am sure living with him was a trial at times to Maggie who had to put up with his drinking, but when all is said and done, they loved each other and were there for each other. I think they had the most realistic father/daughter relationship on the show.

Even though we didn't see a whole lot of Tad during the 1840 storyline I think Quentin was a great father to him always....even when [spoiler]Samantha put the doubt in his mind that he could be Tad's father. Quentin still had an unwandering devotion and love for the boy that he still wouldn't let her take Tad away from the only home the boy has known all his life.[/spoiler]

I actually think Barnabas would be a wonderful father. I don't think we should judge his potential parential abilities solely on the Adam thing....that was just a way too weird situation to begin with. I mean look how gentle he was with Sarah and Amy.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »
look how gentle he was with Sarah and Amy.

I sometimes think Barnabas was more a dad to Sarah than Joshua.  :)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 07:25:16 PM »
This whole post is full of spoilers so beware, I did not use spoiler alert in it.

Ok of the fathers given I will comment on each.

Roger: At first abysmal, hated his son, wanted him to die, even thought he might be Burke's son instead of his own. At least inspired his son to want to kill him. Later improves but becomes a bit too permissive.

Sam: I agree with the consenses that Sam was a good father. Yes he was an alcoholic but he cared deeply for Maggie. Look at the tender care he took of her when she was being victimized by Barnabas. The one thing I question is how much of the money was from her job and how much from his painting? Was she supporting him or was he at least making enough for the household expenses so that her money was just helping?

Richard Garner: Well his son did want to be a lawyer and he joined his father in the business. That's a good thing.

Dr. Lang: he wasn't around long enough to have an impact on Adam. That was Barn's domain and he failed miserably. However I think Barnabas would have made a good father. When he was left caring for David and Amy he did a good job in spite of what Roger the nit thought!

Paul Stoddard: Sucked at first, even walked out on his wife and daughter and was gone for 20 years! Sold his daughter to the Leviathans with no care at all! But when he returned he made up for a lot of this, sure you can't make up for 20 years of neglect but he did try to establish a relationship with her and really regretted what he had done 20 years earlier.

Philip Todd: I don't think he can be blamed for how his "son" turned out. Megan was too darn permissive and it's like he had no say at all! Not to mention this kid was anything but normal!

Joshua: Sucked big time! But seemed to improve when it was too late.

Reverend Trask: How long did Lamar know him before he was suddenly gone? No matter, he taught him the ways of sanctimonious prigism before leaving so much so that Lamar was every bit the sanctimonious prig dear old dad was.

Andre DuPres: I think from what we saw he was a good father, though he was suddenly gone around the middle of the storyline.

Quentin 1897: Once he learned he had children, he became a concerned father. He grieved for his son and cared when his daughter became sick.

Edward: What can you say about a man who put his kids in that sicko school worthington hall and kept sending them back there in spite of the fact that they were being abused there? And who wasn't even grateful to the man who saved their lives from his phoenix wife? Not much! Jamison loved his uncle more than his father. There were times Edward seemed to be a good father, but I wouldnt' give him the father of the year award.

Quentin PT: I wouldn't say his relationship with his son was all that great. He shouted at everyone and seemed more immature even than 1897 Quentin. There really weren't that many scenes between them.

Timothy Stokes: Had two step daughters, loved one, hated the other. Played favorites. ROTTEN! Committed a heinous deed to keep Angelique alive.

Daniel Collins 1840: LOUSY! Had two sons, loved one and despised the other. Say what you will about Gabriel but he wanted his father's love. I can't forget the scene when he confronted his father about how he had loved Quentin and hated him and all Daniel said. I flat can't stand it when a parent favors one kid over the other. Yeah you can assume I came up on the short end of this with one of my parents, not my dad but my mom!

Quentin: Not too many scenes with him and Tad but he loved Tad and Tad loved him. He took Tad to sea with him, they had a strong bond. Samantha lied and said he wasn't Tad's father but he knew that was a lie. Wonderful scene between him and Tad just before he was taken to prison.

Gabriel: SUCKED!!! Gak you never even see his kids but he packed them away to school rather than have them at home.

Ben Stokes: We do not see him with his own children but with his granddaughter Hallie who loved him.

Mordechai Grimes: He was a pissant. I didn't feel he had a good relationship with his son as Jeremy didn't want to be anything like him. Later after he died Jeremy turned against Quentin so there may have been more love than we thought.

Justin 1841 PT: We do not see him with his sons but we can assume that he was probably a good father as much as he could be with that nit curse hanging over the family. Melanie loved him.

Bramwell: Well he wasn't a father, yet. But he was concerned when he learned that Catherine was pregnant with his child. Some of this care might have been because of his feelings for Catherine.

Ben Stokes: I'd say he was a good father, he didn't want Carrie involved using her second sight but that was probably concern for her. Hard to say.

My own dad passed away this past September and I miss him very much. He was a wonderful father.

Alondra