Author Topic: Color Scans of the 1971-72 Sunday Comic Strips  (Read 951 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Color Scans of the 1971-72 Sunday Comic Strips
« on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
I have acquired some very good copies of 35 of the Dark Shadows Sunday Comic Strips (the first 36 weeks, but I'm missing one week in July or Aug).  It works out to the first few arcs.  I've scanned these and with the kind permission of the Mysterious Benefactor and the Powers That Be. I'd like to offer them up to members of this board, and any other interested parties. 

I've scanned these as JPEG files and would like to form a distribution list for these.  I've been sending them out, one a week, to a few people.  I'm more than willing to send the first few out, this week or the next, and then continue with one a week. 

In the interest of time, I'll be doing this as one email to a large number of people, so if you don't want others to have access to your main address, you  might want to create an account for this.  I have an AOL screen name that I rarely use for this purpose, just to keep all the mail from this project separate from my other mail. 

I have a little disclaimer.  Ms. Scott put out a wonderful book on the comic strips.  I don't intend to infringe upon her rights to sell these materials.  This is intended as a supplement to that collection.  Her book has BW copies of the 6 panel versions of the strips.  These copies are the 7 panel versions in color.  I will not be sending out any of the BW daily strips.  If you don't have her book, I recommend it highly.  It can be found at her website.

Members of this list might also be sent other goodies as I find them. 

If anyone has the last third of the collection, please send them my way. 
The email address should be fairly easy to remember  quentincollinsii@aol.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Color Scans of the 1971-72 Sunday Comic Strips
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:29:35 AM »
It's extremely generous of you to make this offer.  [ghost_smiley]

I have quite a few of the color comics, but I'm also missing some (unfortunately the newspapers around here stopped publishing them at some point along the way). When I get a chance I'll dig them out to see if I have any of the ones you might be missing...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:19:12 AM »
How extremely generous of you! [ghost_smiley]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »
Wow, Doctor and K-9, these REALLY bring back the memories!  When these strips were coming out, I was BEREFT due to the loss of my all-time favorite show.  The Sunday comics really helped console me.  They were much better than the Gold Key Comics.  I gave my copy of the book that collected all the strips to a friend who is a gifted young artist and a lifelong fan of DS.

My local paper stopped carrying the strip when a story was beginning that I think involved people from the Caribbean--sort of Strange Paradise meets DS!

cheers!  Steve

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:15:42 PM »
I have to confess that I honestly have very little memory of these comics - especially as to when they started and ended. But that being said, I dug my copies out and, perhaps not coincindentally, I also have 35 installments, and it *appears* from the storyline as if I have them from the very beginning (Barnabas' arrival at Collinwood). They start on 3/14/71 and go through 11/7/71. So, The Doctor and K9, I'm guessing that means I have some that you're missing? Do yours go beyond 11/7?

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
They start on 3/14/71 and go through 11/7/71. So, The Doctor and K9, I'm guessing that means I have some that you're missing? Do yours go beyond 11/7?

No, it sounds as if you have the same ones that I do.  I have the first 36 weeks, minus one in the summer.  I can look up the week I'm missing and post the date later.