Author Topic: Another DS Reference With Regard To Twilight  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Another DS Reference With Regard To Twilight
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
The big issue used against Twilight seems to be Bella as a role model for teen girls, so the more appropriate DS comparison would be these (IMO):

01) Julia's decision to turn her back on her career and her oath as a doctor to help a vampire and her longing for him when he didn't love her.
02) Angelique's obsession with Barnabas that led her to destroy others lives and threaten the life of a little girl all because he didn't want her.
03) Josette decision to kill herself for the second time just because Barnabas didn't come for her.

The main complaint against Twilight is Bella giving up everything for Edward, but many of the women on DS weren't much different. [santa_tongue]

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 03:41:31 AM »
No. My mom never cautioned me about Barnabas and his women as I am sure she would have wanted to be one of them.  She is 74 and still thinks JF is hot. In actuality, my dauhters are reading Twilight and they know what healthy and unhealthy relationships are because we have been communicating about these situations for years now.  My girls are in high school and pretty headstrong about things dealing with the opposite sex.  And no disrespect to Twilight but it stands no where near the brilliance of DS.  Think about it..this show ended 37 years ago and heck it still is going strong with the fans both young and old.  That is amazing. 
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »
I did think the writer was a bit over the top with Twilight and Dark Shadows and the potential for misguided relationships in life. My mom never discouraged me for sure-if she did she never let me know. The fact that I was fascinated with something was good enough for her. She certainly never raised an objection when she was watching it with me.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »
Methinks we are doing each other something of a disservice when insisting that young people will copy their favorite fictional stories in terms of just one simplistic interpretation of the plot.  Reminds me of those who insist that because Harry Potter sometimes breaks school rules--and sometimes gets away with it--that means children reading the books will become habitual liars.

Both Twilight and DS are in some ways about overpowering love, the kind of love that leads one to a total commitment.  The latter has such "love" cross over into actual obsession--a la "You are Josette" and Angelique's whole history with Barnabas, etc.  Frankly, the former is a lot less disturbing.  And the writer with the crack about boys stopping out-of-control trucks with their hands evidently feels young people are not only stupid but genuinely moronic.  Edward is clearly a fantasy, and his rescue of Bella is something out of fantasy.  The point is that there are plenty of boys (and girls) out there who would do such a thing if they could.  For that matter, something similar happens every single day--someone risking their own life and limb to hopefully save another.

It is rather classic to tell a love story by tossing as many obstacles between the perspective couple's union as feasible.  Such becomes a test of commitment.  Seems to me some of these critics are opposed to love stories where love does indeed triumph...

Which of course never really happened on DS anyway.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 09:50:37 PM »
That's cool about your mom, fridfreak.  And I think your communication with your daughters is admirable.

What wonderful comparisons, Barnabas'Bride!  Did DS even have a satisfactory female role model for its time?  While watching the series originally as the feminist-in-training that was pre-teen Midnite, I rooted for Julia to get a life, hated Angelique for her handling of rejection, and kept hoping that 1796 would be re-re-rewritten to give Josette a happier ending.  Yet, knowing that Quentin was the quintessential bad boy and a heartbreaker, I wanted him SO bad.  Go figure.

DS ... has such "love" cross over into actual obsession--a la "You are Josette" and Angelique's whole history with Barnabas, etc.  Frankly, the former is a lot less disturbing.

I'm curious why you feel that Angelique's obsession is a lot more disturbing than his.  If judging by results alone, then that might be the case since Barnabas got over his obsession sooner and suffered greater losses (though one could make a case that the latter was often due to the curse rather than to Angelique's machinations).  And his opportunities to murder the objects of his obsessive thinking were lost to circumstances beyond his control.  Both B & A became obsessed as defense mechanisms, each blamed the other for their emotional pain, and both affected the suffering of others through their special powers as a result-- Angelique targeted his loved ones, and consider what he did to Maggie before setting his sights on Vicki, while who knows what might have happened to Burke had he remained Barn's competition.  I find their actual obsessions equally disturbing, just as, in the real world, a man's obsession in which denial plays a major part is just as scary, perhaps even moreso, than a woman's.  And to get back to the comparison with today's parents, many are choosing to teach their sons and daughters that a case of obsession by either sex can turn dangerous.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 07:13:24 AM »
Ahem.  By "former" I meant Twilight.  Edward and Bella are a much less disturbing example of obsessive love than either Barnabas or Angelique.   [santa_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
LOL, got it now.  [santa_smiley]