Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0633_0634  (Read 1461 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0633_0634
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »
Robservations #633_634

And remember:
Thursday, September 18: No Episode, originally Thursday, November 28, 1968 was Thanksgiving

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0633_0634
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 03:16:17 PM »
What exactly did Nicholas do to Maggie in that ritual?  Isn't a Black Mass supposed to involve human sacrifice?  Or anyway, sacrifice of the centerpiece, human or otherwise?  Well, maybe Maggie was indeed sacrificed in a way, since she lost her Maggie-niceness.  That brings me back to a question I believe I asked a while back: what is it that Nicholas liked about Maggie?  Because whatever it was, it was surely gone when she was insisting on providing the life force for the Experiment.

I looked up the poem about motherless Eve to which Julia referred: Eve, by Ralph Hodgson.  It's sort of long to put in here, I think.  It suggested that if only Eve had had a mother to advise her, she would have known better than to listen to that nasty snake.  I don't think it's relevant to this Eve, but if one is aware of the poem, perhaps one can't help thinking about it when one has got an Eve on one's hands.  It surprises me, however, that Julia is aware of the poem.  It was written in 1913, and I imagine Julia would have had to read it for school, probably in the 1930s, and the poem stuck in her mind - but it's surprising to me.

Bye, bye Nicholas.  I hate seeing him begging like that.  I suppose it's intended to be incredibly satisfying - but I liked him too much for that.  I would prefer to have seen him defiant to the end.

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
Why are Barnabas and Julia so vehemently against using Maggie as the life force? She's who they wanted to use in the first place! When they were originally making Eve, it appeared that Barnabas was going to kidnap her until
[spoiler]Willie took matters into his own hands.[/spoiler]
So what's the problem? I suppose it's because Nicholas is the one that brough her in. They are so fickle! [ghost_tongue2]

I really liked it when Nicholas was trying to pretend he was still in control of everything, saying that he had taken care of Tom when he didn't have clue what had happened to him. Barnabas, of course, can't resist letting him know that HE was the one who'd gotten rid of Tom.

I would prefer to have seen him defiant to the end.
So would I, Lydia.

what is it that Nicholas liked about Maggie?
I have no idea. I guess it's the same thing that makes almost half the other male characters fall for her at some point...

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
Ooh! Another exciting episode! I loved the scenes in the basement having to do with the experiment attempting to bring Eve back to life. [ghost_smiley] Those scenes were so thrilling, they had me on the edge of my seat, with my eyes glued to the TV! [ghost_wink]

Nicholas was rather scary when he caused Adam and Barnabas to be in distress. It was both cute and frightening when Nicholas made Adam sleep on the cot, though. But then, when Nicholas put his arms up and commanded Barnabas to stop, his powers weren't working! [shkdg]  Barnabas was really brave to smash the equipment and stop the experiment. I loved it when Barnabas asked Nicholas, "Where are your powers now?" One of the great lines on DS.

It was strange to see Maggie acting the way she did - acting so cold toward Julia and insisting on being the life force. [ghost_wacko]

Poor Adam... He discovered that Eve had turned into a skeleton! That was a chilling moment, reminding me of the end of the movie, "Psycho". [ghost_shocked] Now Adam was "alone" again. [cryg] It's only natural that Adam would "act out" and want to do something against Vicki. 

Barnabas probably had the biggest grin of all when he saw Nicholas appear to be destroyed when he was taken back down to Diabolos. The first time we saw Barnabas grin like that. [milestone]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:42 AM »
First of SALLY~~I love your Milestone trademark!  It is adds great character to you and your posts!! 

It was so great to see all these actors together.  Katie Leigh Star ( [ghost_wink]) as Grayson lovingly called her, GH, JF, and RR.  Neat to see the connection between Adam & Barnabas again.  I hope Adam [spoiler]is alive and happy somewhere!??[/spoiler] Kudos to Marie for lying there playing dead. She did a great job.  LOL  What an easy paycheck she earned! :)  There was some good music used today that is rarely heard.  All right for Barnabas!! He has had it!  He is done!  He is over it!  He is FINISHED!!  We also get a "NO BARNABAS" from Julia.  I always enjoy those!!

Poor Maggie cannot remember anything! INGENUE anyone??  I hated to see Nicholas's demise but I really enjoyed the special effects and how it was handled!!  Great acting with Frid and Humber Allen Astredo.  Kudos especially to HAA for selling it.   He truly acted as if he was on fire!!  That is the key though selling such high melodrama and making it believable!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »
First of SALLY~~I love your Milestone trademark!  It is adds great character to you and your posts!! 
Thanks, Taeylor! It just kind of fell into my lap, but I'm glad that I'm the "Milestone" poster! [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 08:41:18 PM »
My favorite scene is Nicholas going up in smoke.

No big smiles like that in 1795? Barnabas must have smiled big.

Yes Maggie wasn't herself during the experiment, and during the satanic rite  her dress was lower and it was filmed from a different angle, I liked the candles.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
Cool episode. Nicholas truly went off in a 'blaze of fire'......literally. [ghost_grin]

Barnabas was indeed brave going against Nicholas like that, especially after Nicholas threatened to off Adam. I too loved Barnabas' grin after Nicholas went up in flames. Barnabas didn't smile enough on the show, or laugh. Although [spoiler]during the Leviathan storyline he did laugh rather evilly when he was talking to Paul Stoddard about 'upholding his end of the bargain' that Paul made with one of them 20 years earlier. [/spoiler]

Not surprising, Adam has gone back to his 'get everyone Barnabas loves' phase now that Eve's body has been reduced to a bag of bones. How unfortunate. [ghost_sad]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 04:52:21 PM »
So, does the ritual Nicholas performed over Maggie count as a "marriage" ceremony?  Could Nicholas Blair return someday to claim her as his bride a la Brian O'Bannion and Agnes Gooch in "Auntie Mame"?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 04:37:52 AM »
It's always a rare treat to see that many actors in one scene. We had Barnabas, Julia, Nicholas, Adam, Maggie and Eve laying on the table.  There was a lot of action happening in that basement.

My feelings and thoughts:
I am sad to see Nicholas go away [devil2]
I hope to goodness that Maggie has amnesia is not a long term storyline.  [devil2]
I was shock to see Eve turn into that skeleton with a wig... [BOO]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 05:04:46 AM »
Marie showed remarkable breathing control in this episode.  Those were very long takes with the actors talking over her like that.  All I could do was watch to see if she breathed.  She didn't.  Good job.

[hall2_wink]