Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0631  (Read 2336 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0631
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:03:38 AM »
Oops - forgot to post this earlier.  :-[

Robservations #631

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0631
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:15:11 AM »
Well, I thought Nicholas had told Julia he had Eve's body, but clearly I was wrong.  Was it that he said "I'll have the body" but I heard "I have the body"?  I don't remember.  But I should have known that Dark Shadows would never pass up an opportunity for a digging-up-a-grave scene.  By the way, that was quite an expensive-looking coffin for an unknown woman buried at (I assume) the expense of the town.

Harry Johnson reminded me of Willie today.  Maybe it was the jacket, because it certainly wasn't the acting.  But I thought to myself, "Barnabas had Willie, and now Nicholas has Harry.  The fundamental things apply, as time goes by."

I thought it was sort of tacky of Barnabas to be dictating conditions to Nicholas on the subject of the latest Experiment.  Julia's the one who's doing all the work, but Barnabas gets to decide what the rewards are.  Can't Julia ask for a new car or something?

Gosh, that was a great scene at the end - Tom glowing in the sunlight before he disappeared, and Barnabas clearly thinking, "That could have been my fate."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:14:02 AM »
Harry Johnson reminded me of Willie today.  Maybe it was the jacket, because it certainly wasn't the acting.  But I thought to myself, "Barnabas had Willie, and now Nicholas has Harry.  The fundamental things apply, as time goes by."

I thought it was sort of tacky of Barnabas to be dictating conditions to Nicholas on the subject of the latest Experiment.  Julia's the one who's doing all the work, but Barnabas gets to decide what the rewards are.  Can't Julia ask for a new car or something?

I just noticed the similarity in their names, Harry Johnson and Willie, too, which I won't explain (don't pry too deeply into this), but it's spooky.

I was so grateful to see human Barnabas reborn with a backbone, in that scene with Blair.  I think he was carrying his part of the weight after Julia had to confront Blair on her own earlier.   Q: Did human Barnabas wear the high-collar vampirish coat before this?   Or did they get rid of it until this point to make him look unvampirish?   The coat helps.  He looks like more of a threat.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:30:41 AM »
I really like the part of this episode where Chris spots Tom at the window. I don't know why. I don't think he actually realized who it was, but it was kind of interesting.

Gosh, that was a great scene at the end - Tom glowing in the sunlight before he disappeared, and Barnabas clearly thinking, "That could have been my fate."
I agree. It must feel really weird for Barnabas to kill another vampire, and it's always interesting to see him in those kind of situations.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
This was the first time that Chris and Tom both appeared in the same episode, and the first time the same actor played two different characters in the same timeline (both in 1968). [milestone] I thought it was great when Chris saw Tom in the window, but it was too dark for Tom to be recognized. It was neat because I knew they were both being played by Don Briscoe. [winkg]

It was great when Barnabas was explaining to Vicki that Tom was a vampire. Vicki was clueless about vampires. I guess in the DS world, they never heard of Dracula. [ghost_rolleyes]

Barnabas was smart to wait outside for Nicholas to leave and then wait inside the house for Tom to come back. It gave me an ominously scared feeling, though, when Tom was following him. [ghost_shocked] I'm relieved that Barnabas was able to outsmart him. [whew] When Barnabas waited outside the house, it reminded me of when Julia waited outside the house and saw Angelique. [ghost_wink]

Wow! [wow] That sure was an exciting scene at the end when Barnabas made Tom disappear in the light of the rising sun! I loved it! [clap2] It was ingenious for Barnabas to quickly pick up the candlesticks and make them into a cross. That added to the excitement. I'm sure it was a bittersweet time for Barnabas. On the one hand, he destroyed the dangerous vampire, Tom Jennings; but on the other hand, Barnabas used to be a vampire, too, so I'm sure it felt weird for him to destroy Tom, since Barnabas could also have been destroyed in that way. [spoiler]This wasn't the only time Barnabas destroyed a vampire, either. [/spoiler]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »
It was great when Barnabas was explaining to Vicki that Tom was a vampire. Vicki was clueless about vampires. I guess in the DS world, they never heard of Dracula. [ghost_rolleyes]

But ep #4 established that they had, including Vicki!  Roger has been arguing with Liz about both Vicki and Burke and then he sends Carolyn upstairs to retrieve Vicki...

... Carolyn says he wants to talk to her. Now? asks Vicki. It's nothing to worry about, Carolyn assures her, Uncle Roger just wants to ask you a few questions--and like I already told you. . . I know, interrupts Vicki, he's such a nice person--but it's almost midnight. That's the point, says Carolyn--at the stroke of midnight, he turns into Dracula (!) Vicki smiles.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 01:38:59 AM »
This time Tom will not come back.

I don't think that they could have Julia controlling everything that would have made Barnabas appear weak. Plus Barnabas like to be in control.

Why didn't Nicholas have the coffins in a different place?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 02:19:58 AM »
Don Briscoe is BEYOND sexy as a vampire. Although at times over the top!!  How did Victoria's room become so easy accessed?  I thought it was on the second or third floor??  Very cool for DS to show Tom and Chris both at the same time.  I guess some sort of pretaped editing had come into play by this time??  The window shot of Tom I guess was pretaped and added in.  Even Victoria in this ep is getting the whole vampire backstory, I don't think she was so dumb afterall.  Even in Am's last episodes I think Victoria was starting to "understand" a bit more.  Love that Barnabas was facing off with Nicholas.  He and Julia seem to be the only ones who have the balls too.  I thought Jonathan Frid was really good in this episode.  He seemed to have the script down. This particular model of modern coffin must have been very popular!  [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:43:45 AM »
Don Briscoe is BEYOND sexy as a vampire. Although at times over the top!!

You seem to be of two minds as regards Tom.... is unapologetic scenery-chewing a turn-on?  Or disorientingly arm-extending and tongue-undulating wraithiness?   We can't really account for what gets us off, can we...?  I know I can't!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »
I enjoyed the confrontation between Barnabas and Nicholas. I loved watching Barnabas stand up to the warlock. He was clearly ticking the warlock off though, but as Barnabas pointed out, as long as Nicholas needed Eve brought back to life he can't do anything about it.

I loved how Barnabas explained to Vicki about vampires. Of course I still wish it was AM in the role, but I digress.

I too thought it was cool to see Chris and Tom in the same episode. How interesting it would have been if only Chris HAD recognized Tom.

Loved how authoritive Nicholas was with Harry. I bet old Harry was breathing a sigh of relief when Nicholas told him he would never see him again after the evening was order. Bet old Harry was tired by now of taking and following orders against his will.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »
How interesting it would have been if only Chris HAD recognized Tom.
If Chris had seen Tom, maybe he would have thought he was seeing a prophetic vision of himself instead.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »
I thought Tom was a sexy vampire when he looked in the window.  That was about the only time.  And the other times before he got the mouth open and started convulsing!!! LOL 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 04:18:18 AM »
I was actually shocked that Barnabas told Vicki that Tom was a vampire. Most of the time the Barnabas Gang is always covering it up, so it was kinda of refreshing.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:22:26 AM »
I would have to agree.  I just wish Victoria wouldn't have been so DUMBED down at the end of her run! OH WELL!