Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0627  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0627
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 04:22:42 AM »
Thanks!  I think Par for the course is the better than TSK TSK TSK. That isn't the first incosistency in the Pom Press books as I have learned over the past few years. [ghost_mad]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 07:28:43 AM »
I always liked this period of the series - and not just because of the obvious Briscoe eye candy to come... it brought Barnabas to Collinwood more frequently, and took him out of that self-absorbed "Angelique is comin' to get me again" element. It brought us new characters to care about - and it was easy to transition into caring about Chris and Amy, relative strangers to us viewers, because established characters like Joe, Julia, Carolyn, Barnabas and David cared about them as well.

Yes, some soul of the show went with Alexandra Moltke's departure. At the time, it was reported in the trade papers Alex was leaving the series as she was expecting a baby (she'd been newly married the previous year), so I wonder if fans expected her to reprise her Victoria role after a stint with motherhood, or once the 1897 storyline wrapped up. Betsy Durkin was a gutsier Vicki in her confrontation with Nicholas, but she reverted to a whiny, hand-wringing wimp in scenes with Jeff/Peter (Roger Davis). The writers were wise to fade both Vicki and Peter out (pun intended) as quickly as they did.

Grayson was a hoot when she jumped back and mistook Chris for Tom Jennings at the hospital. I survived the loss of Eve, but looked forward to Marie Wallace returning at some point as a twisted new character. She didn't disappoint us!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
There was a bad and a good milestone in this episode.

The bad milestone was the fact that this was Alexandra Moltke's last episode as Victoria Winters. [ghost_sad] [milestone] The show was never the same after she left. They never resolved Vicki's "where did I come from?" issue that she had during the pre-Barnabas episodes. They dropped the ball. [spoiler]Actually, I believe that the butler, B. Hanscombe, was Vicki's father; Betty Hanscombe was her sister, cousin or aunt; Elizabeth was her mother, of course. [/spoiler] It also was too bad that AM never got to play a different character - or even some supernatural being.  [ghost_tongue]

The good milestone was the first appearance of Chris Jennings on the show! [milestone] I loved it when Julia screamed at the sight of him! [shkdg] It was also fun to watch Joe's reaction, too. I loved it when Julia got on his case for not wanting to take care of Molly/Amy and convinced him to visit her. She really put him in his place! [ghost_wink]

Another possible milestone: Chris got wet while standing in the rain. Was it the first time a character got wet on DS? [ghost_huh] If so, here's the milestone. [milestone]

Now I finally have it straight about Tom and Chris. I used to think they were twins, because they looked so much alike, and they were both played by Don Briscoe. That assumption was fueled by the incorrect info in "The Dark Shadows Companion" and other DS sources. [signerror] But now I know that Chris was 3 years older than Tom.[spoiler]I was confused before, but no more. That makes more sense that Chris had the werewolf curse (and Tom didn't), because Chris definitely was the firstborn son.[/spoiler]

----- Sally -----
[hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 06:32:17 PM »
I can't believe this is AM's last episode already.  [ghost_sad] But she made the most of it, I thought. I liked watching her trying to convince Jeff to do the right thing.

I too loved watching Julia scream her lungs out thinking Chris was Tom. Though it's a bit puzzling that after Tom's death, Joe told her he was Tom's only living relative, which wasn't true. There WAS Chris, but he couldn't be reached. Still there WAS Amy, too. Guess he was just too much under Angelique's power to be thinking straight. [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 04:15:04 AM »
Sally my dear I have been watching the Beginning DVDS and several times Roger etc. have gotten wet.  Of course it's always men most of the time, maybe all the time.  I don't recall a woman getting wet. It only rained in the early days of DS.....so it wasn't a Milestone.  I just wanted to let you know that.   However, it had been a hell of a long time since anyone had gotten wet.  So maybe after all we could consider it a Milestone!! [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 06:59:13 AM »
Was it a milestone in that it was the first gender-selective rainstorm (if that's a term)?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 09:40:44 AM »
LOL, Magnus! You may be right! [ghost_cheesy]

Sally my dear I have been watching the Beginning DVDS and several times Roger etc. have gotten wet... so it wasn't a Milestone. I don't recall a woman getting wet... it had been a hell of a long time since anyone had gotten wet.  So maybe after all we could consider it a Milestone!! [ghost_wink]
Oops! I forgot about those rainstorms during the pre-Barnabas episodes. [signerror] Yes, indeed, it had been a long time - so long I had forgotten - since Roger etc. got wet. Thanks for reminding me. [bigok] Now, if a woman ever got wet, that would be a milestone, for sure! [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 05:56:37 AM »
The gals always had the unbrellas, but didn't we always love it when the guys got wet.

The part about Julia giving Chris a hard time was great.

I have one question how did Julia get her car home. She got the ride home from Chris?

All around a great show. Amy didn't look like a Molly. David and Amy sounds better.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 06:43:25 PM »
was there ever any explanation why Chris transforms but not Tom? Is Tom still under 21 when dies?  Or does the curse only affected the eldest child?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 03:23:12 AM »
was there ever any explanation why Chris transforms but not Tom? Is Tom still under 21 when dies?  Or does the curse only affected the eldest child?
[spoiler]When Magda originally puts the curse on Quentin in 1897, I believe she says that the curse will go to ALL the male members of each generation. Either the writers simply messed up and it conveniently fit right into the story or they remembered that Chris had a brother, because after returning from 1897 Julia explains the whole thing to Chris and says that the curse does in fact go to the oldest male of each generation.[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 03:05:06 AM »
I have one question how did Julia get her car home. She got the ride home from Chris?
Yeah, I wondered that myself.  Maybe she went down to the Old House and told Willie to walk into town and get her car.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 03:47:30 AM »
OK my first question is what does Vicki say to Julia on the Landing. I watched it 4 times and I couldn't make it out. I swear it sounded like I couldn't get hold of Roger, he must of turn his cell phone off. I know that's not what she said, but that's all I could hear. I thought I was watching DS in a parallel room.

Anyway, I was totally excited by this one. I felt storylines were wrapping up and news one beginning. I felt I was watching a season finale. AWESOME STUFF!!!

[skelleton_runs]

I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »
OK my first question is what does Vicki say to Julia on the Landing. I watched it 4 times and I couldn't make it out. I swear it sounded like I couldn't get hold of Roger, he must of turn his cell phone off. I know that's not what she said, but that's all I could hear. I thought I was watching DS in a parallel room.

Hee hee.  He must have turned his telephone off.  [hall2_wink]

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »
So does Roger have a direct line to his bedroom?
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 04:46:46 AM »
Wow, you can sure feel "transition" written all over this episode, with an old storyline wrapping up and a new one just beginning to unwrap.  Also, I counted no fewer than nine names in the closing credits today.  Is that a record for never-more-than-five-actors-at-a-time Dan Curtis?