Author Topic: Is The Central Vamp In "True Blood" Like Barnabas?  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Is The Central Vamp In "True Blood" Like Barnabas?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 09:10:23 PM »
I"ve seen the first two episodes, and am very impressed.  To address some issues...

First, I grew up in the deep south and the series felt very much like it was happening there.  That includes both the emphasis on manners, the hardship of often-stagnant economy, the attitudes people throw up, etc.

Second, this is the way people talk.  How you could have a story set where and when this story is set, among these characters and not have profanity is something I don't see how it could work.  Keep in mind, not all the characters do curse very much, if at all.  But some do, and that accurately reflects life.

Likewise, the story is about--among other things--sex.  That is a perfectly valid thing for stories to be about.

Lastly, Bill does have some parallels I can see with Barnabas.  Both have returned to their homes long after their families are dead, restoring an old house, becoming interesting in a local girl whom he is sorely tempted to bite.  He visits the neighbors, and stirs up strong feelings including friendship with the family matriarch.  More, Bill does have a slightly melancholy air about him, a certain gentlemanly grace, and a stillness that sets him apart.

Plus, his name starts with a "B."

There are a lot of differences, though.  Bill is far more diplomatic than Barnabas, and seems more comfortable with his vampire status.  He isn't nearly as aristocratic, nor seemingly as vain.  Not a ring or over-elaborate cane in sight!  If anything his wardrobe is very ordinary.  Plus he doesn't seem as obsessed with the past, the way Barnabas was forever dwelling on what had been (often at the expense of what was or could be).

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 11:21:44 PM »
Quote from: Zahir
...this is the way people talk.  How you could have a story set where and when this story is set, among these characters and not have profanity is something I don't see how it could work.  Keep in mind, not all the characters do curse very much, if at all.  But some do, and that accurately reflects life.

Likewise, the story is about--among other things--sex.  That is a perfectly valid thing for stories to be about.

Oh, I know that. I was merely making an observation that there's considerably more profanity in TrueBlood than in the books, as well as that the sex in TB seemed more explicit for a TV show than the sex in the novels was for books. And when I complained about the hick accents that some of the actors were putting on, it was primarily because, at one section in the first novel, Harris mentions that a character (who, despite being a somewhat minor character, will likely be the hardest to cast; I refuse to spoil the hilarious reason why) speaks "with a thick Southern accent" - which, at least to me, implies that the other characters' accents are light to moderate.

Quote from: Zahir
There are a lot of differences, though.  Bill is far more diplomatic than Barnabas, and seems more comfortable with his vampire status.  He isn't nearly as aristocratic, nor seemingly as vain.  Not a ring or over-elaborate cane in sight!  If anything his wardrobe is very ordinary.  Plus he doesn't seem as obsessed with the past, the way Barnabas was forever dwelling on what had been (often at the expense of what was or could be).

Yes, those large differences in their personalities are why I don't really consider Barnabas and Bill to be similar people. There are some big parallels in their situations, and a few small ones in their appearances and personalities, but I don't see them as being similar people.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing who they cast in that role that I mentioned earlier; like I said, they either need to cast it flawlessly or skip the character altogether, and the latter would be terribly unfortunate.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »
Last night's episode featured a great SHOUT OUT to BUFFY and BLADE!!  I LOVED IT!!!  And Ben is more and more ( to me) this new generations cool vampire.  In the show at least he reminds me of Barney, Louis and Angel.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 01:08:41 AM »
First, what was the shout out? Second... Ben?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 03:12:26 AM »
I meant Bill.  Typo. Without giving the plot away.  Basically a guy who wants to date SOOKIE said something like. "I wish to God Buffy or Blade would come to town!!" And he delivered it so funny!!  Made me smile as Buffy is my second favorite show of all time.  I have three shows that are my number 1 favorite shows of all time. I love all three equally the same. There my rules and I ain't breakin' them! LOL
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 04:18:27 AM »
Ah, okay. Sounds like it was pretty funny.

I have a strange hierarchy of my favorite shows. Buffy and Buffy alone is Tier 1, for reasons I've given elsewhere. Angel, Northern Exposure, DS, and a couple others fall into Tier 2. To be honest, even I'm not totally sure how my mind works in that area.  [ghost_tongue2]

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
True Blood?
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 09:53:42 PM »
Have any of you watched the HBO series True Blood yet? What do you think?
Dan

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: True Blood?
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 09:58:39 PM »
I saw episode one.  It was not really my cup of tea.

G.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 06:45:01 AM »
I find it rather intriguing.  I don't care for all of the superfluous sex scenes.  Most of that involves Sookie's brother, and it seems like they do it just because as HBO they don't have the restrictions of the regular broadcast networks, so they're going to make sure to put it in.  And, I don't care too much for the other characters or their stories.  But, I like Sookie, her ability to hear others' thoughts, the vampire and their interactions.  So, at the moment I'm still watching it.  I do the On Demand later in the week, so I haven't seen Sunday's yet.

The whole concept of vampire's being "out" in the community is fun.  In the last one I saw, Bill was addressing a group about his experiences in the Civil War and knowledge of the current day people's ancestors in the war.  Can you imagine someone who knew him talking to you about what your great-grandfather did about 150 years earlier?  It was such a fun idea.  Also, Bill seems a basically decent and "good" guy, unlike some of the other vampires shown.
Josette

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 06:50:13 AM »
I. LOVE. IT!  One reviewer said it's like Charmed, The Dukes of Hazzard, and Dark Shadows mixed and I completely agree! Two of my favorite shows and one (Dukes) favorite from childhood.  I loved that one though so I could look at Bo and Luke nekkid!   [8_1_214]

Sookie's Telepathic abilities reminds me of Charmed the down homeyness reminds me of 'Dukes' and the mystery, suspense, and vampire lead reminds me of Dark Shadows!

I am loving it! I love Bill and I love the way he says SOOKIE! SWOON! :::THUD:::: I love the undead!  I am just enjoying it and that is all I guess I can say!

And for me the  completely gratuitous MALE ASS scenes are a plus!!  [8_1_202]

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 07:51:20 AM »
I don't have HBO, I want to see this show. Is there anywhere online to watch?
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 08:12:40 AM »
Try HBO.com and see if they are offering it.  That was what the writers dispute was over so I would say they are showing it on line like the other networks are now doing like The CW, NBC, etc.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 05:21:19 PM »
there are file sharing programs like minova that offer all the episodes for download. ive seen every episode so far and enjoying them. you can also view them on www.surfthechannel.com

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »
I'd recommend waiting for the DVDs, as HBO (unsurprisingly) has no free online instant viewing service, and the methods joe integlia shared are a bit less than legal... aside from that, I got a damaged disk from Netflix once, and I tried one of the sites that Surfthechannel.com uses for videos, and received a lovely Trojan on my PC.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »
I was hoping ITUNEs would have it but they don't...I guess because of the HBO factor. They want you to subscribe to their channel... [devil2]
I always wanted until Sex and The City came out on DVD, so I guess I am going to have to wait... [devil2]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books