Author Topic: Vampire/creature movies?  (Read 4885 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Vampire/creature movies?
« on: June 13, 2002, 04:13:31 AM »
What is your favorite? I'm asking, and drawing a blank about my own answer. I'm sure that I'll get reminded in your answers though.  I can tell you what I HAVEN'T liked though. Have seen the Dracula movie with Bela Lugosi (was it the first one?) and found it pretty darn bad. Sorry, I know some here like it very much, but I was quite disappointed. And I HATED "Shadow of the Vampire" with Willem Dafoe. I want a traditional vampire, not what one might be like if there really were such a disgusting thing.

I really liked "The Lost Boys" a lot at the time. Recently saw most of it on tv and it held up quite well, was as good as I remembered. Haven't seen "An American Werewolf in London" in ages, but it was very good to me then. I'm looking forward to seeing "Rosemary's Baby" again, it's on my Netflix dvd list. It may not belong in this list, but it IS a great movie.

I've heard mixed things about "Blade" and "Blade II". What did those who have seen them think?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire/creature movies?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 09:30:38 AM »
Apart from the Universal classics, I haven't seen too many movies of either category, so I'll have to stick to those.  I did like Dracula's Daughter and Son of Dracula, but shapeshifter movies impress me more than the others.  I think I enjoy them so much because it's easy to feel sorry for the main characters; they're not 'real' monsters because they aren't to blame for their conditions.  

The Wolfman was a wonderful piece of work, original in that it wasn't based on any literary work as far as I know.  It also set the standard for werewolf mythology to follow (silver as repellant/killing means, the sign of the pentagram, and the rhyme about the full moon.)  Lon Chaney, Jr. was excellent as the tortured Larry Talbot, and I wish that he'd been given more dramatic roles to play rather than being stuck as the (often-mindless) monster.  To me, Talbot is not a 'monster' but more of a tragic figure.  IMHO, The Wolfmanis a drama, not a 'scary movie' (but maybe I'm just taking it too seriously.)

Werewolf of London (the first werewolf movie, as I understand it) is another good one.  I didn't like it when I first saw it, but over several years of annual Halloween viewing, I came to appreciate it more.  I enjoy the flavor offered by the setting, and the film really has some nice creative aspects too (the curse's origins in Tibet--Alexandra David-Neel's land of magic and mystery--and the botanical cure.)  Again, it involves human drama in addition to 'horror' as the title character struggles to salvage his relationship with his wife.  The onset of lycanthropy coincides neatly with this predicament, perhaps purposely; jealousy is said to bring out the beast in one.  On a campier note, I always chuckle to see Wilfred Glendon, the 'civilized' werewolf; whereas Talbot, Chris Jennings, or Quentin often rip off their shirts or shoes before or during their transformations, he actually stops to put on his scarf and hat before departing on his moonlit rampage.  ;D

Finally, I really enjoyed the original Cat People, which put a variation on shapeshifters by using a panther instead of a wolf.  It dealt with psychological aspects in addition to horrific ones (and once more plays the jealousy card), and doesn't ever really show the monster, unlike the above-mentioned titles.  Irena's progression from an ingenue frightened by her background to a desperate woman who embraces it for her own ends is well-captured and believable.

ProfStokes

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 12:36:28 AM »
And I HATED "Shadow of the Vampire" with Willem Dafoe. I want a traditional vampire, not what one might be like if there really were such a disgusting thing.

Oooooooo I wanted to see that sooo bad!! I rented "Nosferatu" because of it, which was kinda creepy...I was too scared to watch the original one, because I thought it would frighten the living daylights out of me....I think I only watched a couple minutes of it, though, because it was overdue  :P Willem Dafoe is one of my faavorite favorite actors. His eyes hypnotize me. They're so icy and cold sometimes...like in Spiderman. WOW he really freaked me out, when he saw the drop of blood on the dude's floor, and he was like "......*LOOKS UP SUDDENLY*" and i was like "AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" He's so creepy it's kewl! Brrrrrrrr....it's cold in here suddenly!

"Rosemary's Baby" again, it's on my Netflix dvd list. It may not belong in this list, but it IS a great movie.

That movie still creeps me out! I just see the cover in Blockbuster and I scamper away. OOOOOO CREEEPPPYYYY!!

My favorite horror movie is NODS  ;D ....such a dedicated fan I am! *wink wink* I didn't like HODS, though.  >:( It makes noooo sense if you haven't seen 1968 first [which I hadn't when I first watched it]. I keep meaning to go rewatch it and see if I get it this time around.

My fav vampire movie would be.....ummmmmmm.... I don't think I have one. I couldn't get through Interview with a Vampire because it was 3 a.m., I was exhausted, and seeing the two of them biting open rats and then wringing them out like wet clothes and seeing the blood trickling out of the rat's body was just TOO much for me, and I'm a fan of the bloody scenes of Halloween! *shivers* BLEH!  :P

~Daphne, who's off to rewatch HODS....or NODS.....or maybe just watch Carolyn and Buzz .... again ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 12:49:20 AM »
I guess the one movie that I remember liking the most was Salem's Lot.  It scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

I know that it was a TV movie and the production values weren't that of a major motion picture, but just the thought of that kid floating outside his brothers bedroom window asking him to let him in gives me the chills.

deron

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 03:32:11 AM »
Considering my lifelong interest in vampires, I can't think of a truly good vampire movie.

Contemporary vampire movies:  "Embrace of the Vampire" began with some promise but degenerated about halfway through.  Ditto for "The Hunger" with Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon.  "Count Yorga, Vampire" from the '70s (shown recently on AMC) isn't too bad, just be prepared that it sometimes looks like a home movie  ;).

"Dracula" has never been filmed very faithfully, but the closest versions are Dan Curtis' version with Jack Palance and a BBC version with Louis Jourdan, which I have never seen but have read everything about it that I could find.

Christopher Lee did an almost unknown, low-budget version of "Dracula" that was filmed in Spain, which also begins very promisingly.  This is the only version where Dracula appears exactly as he's described in the book:  powerfully built, white hair, long moustache, etc.  And his speech in the castle (filmed realistically in a dark castle in Spain) about fighting the Tartars, etc., is the best representation of Bram Stoker's character -- superb job on Christopher Lee's part.  Apparently funding for the film ran out halfway through filming, and it shows ... palm trees in the background are not a realistic setting for the scenes in England.  The ending is well done, though.

The most faithful representation of "Frankenstein," as I wrote in one of the "Adam" threads a few days ago, is the Calvin Floyd version, "Terror of Frankenstein" a.k.a. "Victor Frankenstein." It is somewhat disconcerting when the creature speaks with a Swedish accent, though.  :)

Deron mentions "Salem's Lot."  I saw that for the first time recently when it aired on Lifetime.  (Too bad they couldn't have filmed on location in New England rather than California or wherever -- DS's sets looked better!)  I liked that quite well, too, enough so that I've bought the book, never having read a thing by Stephen King.  The only other Stephen King movie (TV or major motion picture) that I thought was any good was "The Shining" (the Jack Nicholson movie, not the awful TV miniseries).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 05:30:53 AM »
i loved Salem's Lot but i also kinda liked the one with George Hamilton for no other reason than i get a kick out of old George!
oh i REALLY NEED SLEEP think i'm having a senior moment! :o
good nite
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 05:41:14 AM »
The COUNT YORGA movies are a scream; they actually unnerved me a bit when I was a kid. Robert Quarry is perfect for the part; he's got a wonderful presence and an old-world charm about him. Plus, he sports the best vampire fangs--including sharpened incisors--that ever appeared on screen to that point.

The 1978 BBC production of DRACULA, starring Louis Jourdan, is easily the most faithful to the novel, but even it falls short in places. Why every producer of every Drac film has to change all the character names and relationships around mystifies me. Regardless, it's a fine adaptation, with very dark atmosphere and an effective, eerie muscial score. Jourdan is not the actor one would immediately think of as Dracula, but if you disregard the fact that he does not resemble the description in the novel, he's excellent in the role. Frank Finlay is the consummate Van Helsing; better, even, than Peter Cushing, who is otherwise my favorite (although my appreciation of the Hammer Drac films is minimal). The most glaring shortcoming is the actor who plays Quincy; he's a Brit playing a Texan and the accent is to send one into convulsions of laughter.

FRIGHT NIGHT is a heap of fun; it's got the right balance of comedy and thrills. Roddy McDowell is fabulous, and I really like Chris Sarandon as the vampire. I enjoy the sequel a lot, too, though not as much as the original.

For a really heavy-duty, killer vampire flick, try NEAR DARK, starring Lance Hendrickson and Bill Paxton. The resolution is a bit too pat and far-fetched (even for a vampire movie), but the characters are way cool, especially Hendrickson. He's one of my favorite actors and this part was tailor-made for him.

DRACULA 2000 was pretty cool. Not a top-notch film by any stretch, but it gave a thoroughly interesting origin for the character and had some genuinely creepy moments. Plus some good laughs. Didn't particularly care for the noisy soundtrack.

And then there's... BLACULA! What a hoot! This is a campy romp, about in the same league as COUNT YORGA. It's another one that swipes the DS theme of the vampire having a lost love reincarnated in the present. Kinda fun, though.

Overall, I like the Dan Curtis DRACULA with Jack Palance, although some of the elements of the novel that were excised (no doubt due to time and budget constraints) were all but unforgivable. Palance does a superb job, especially in recounting his role as a Transylvanian warrior prince. Castle Dracula, however, looks like an old Tudor home--not quite what one would expect to find in the middle of the Carpathians.

Christopher Lee did an almost unknown, low-budget version of "Dracula" that was filmed in Spain, which also begins very promisingly.

Yeah, it did open on a nice, creepy note, and Christopher Lee starts out well. But by the end of it, there's not much to differentiate it from the Hammer Dracs, where he's reduced to walking around looking menacing and hissing a lot. Both Dracula and Lee always deserved a lot better.

Sometimes I almost like Coppola's DRACULA, and sometimes I want to throttle everyone involved in it. Gary Oldman is fabulous, especially when he's over the top as the old crone Drac. However, Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing is a sad bit; Hopkins is one of my favorite actors, but he just didn't work in this part. Why he occasionally refers to Dracula as "Dracul"--in essence referring to Vlad's pappy--is inexplicable and distracting. And while I don't particularly dislike Keanu Reeves, as so many people I know do, he does go a long way in this movie toward justifying all the terrible things people say about him. The production has a neat theatrical quality about it, and I like a lot of the various styles of cinematography, but it ultimately looks like it was filmed on a big sound stage. The settings don't convey any sense of reality.

Hey... there's always THE NIGHT STALKER! One of my faves....

[shadow=green,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 05:48:18 AM »
Hi!

A vampire movie that I recommend most highly is "Let's Scare Jessica To Death."  It isn't a conventional horror film, but a mysterious, haunting, and strangely lovely little film.  It's available on VHS from Paramount, so you should be able to find it at a well-stocked video store.  As far as I know, it's not on DVD (but should be).

Another enjoyable vampire film is "Blacula."  People tend to dismiss it without seeing it because of the title, but it's actually a good, solid horror film.

"Daughters of Darkness" is another film worth checking out.  Delphine Seyrig is totally captivating as the Countess Bathory, and it features DS' own John Karlen as the male lead.  (For those who care about this sort of thing, the DVD contains the uncut version which offers a glimpse of Willie's willie...)

Hope this helps...

John

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2002, 05:53:02 AM »
vampire movie that I recommend most highly is "Let's Scare Jessica To Death."  It isn't a conventional horror film, but a mysterious, haunting, and strangely lovely little film.  It's available on VHS from Paramount, so you should be able to find it at a well-stocked video store.  As far as I know, it's not on DVD (but should be).

John -- Did that one star Zsa Zsa Gabor and have a portrait of her that was dripping blood? And was there a little girl that sang about "The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out... in your stomach and out your mouth?" If that's the one I'm thinking about, it creeped me out big time when I was a kid. Haven't seen it since, but will keep an eye out for it.

[shadow=purple,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2002, 03:24:49 AM »
Mark,

The film you're remembering is "Picture Mommy Dead" costarring Don Ameche and Martha Hyer.  I've only seen it once, but I recall it being a hoot.

Regards,

John

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2002, 10:41:24 PM »

Sometimes I almost like Coppola's DRACULA, and sometimes I want to throttle everyone involved in it. Gary Oldman is fabulous, especially when he's over the top as the old crone Drac. However, Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing is a sad bit; Hopkins is one of my favorite actors, but he just didn't work in this part. Why he occasionally refers to Dracula as "Dracul"--in essence referring to Vlad's pappy--is inexplicable and distracting. And while I don't particularly dislike Keanu Reeves, as so many people I know do, he does go a long way in this movie toward justifying all the terrible things people say about him. The production has a neat theatrical quality about it, and I like a lot of the various styles of cinematography, but it ultimately looks like it was filmed on a big sound stage. The settings don't convey any sense of reality.

Not to mention that the movie is a complete perversion of Stoker's novel when it comes to characters and themes.  "Coppola's Dracula," yes.  "Bram Stoker's," no.

Thanks for your description of the Louis Jourdan/BBC version of  "Count Dracula." It's one of about half a dozen things I've tried to track down for years (checking TV schedules, video searches), with no luck.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2002, 11:42:48 PM »
I would have to say my favorite (because it was so faithful to the book) was the BBC 1978 Louis Jordan miniseries "Dracula".  I always thought it was way too difficult to make a film version of Stoker's novel because it is too long and complex to be shoved into two-to-three hours.

Since we've brought up Stephen King, I would have to say that my favorite theatrical version of his works is "Carrie" (Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie did marvelous jobs and earned their Oscar nominations), and my favorite TV miniseries adaptation would have to be "The Stand".

Gerard

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2002, 05:27:41 AM »
would have to say if Mark's book became a movie(which i know probaly can''t) it be be my favorite!

jennifer
all right forgive me Mark i'm shamless Did want to see more of your latest story!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline The Cryptkeeper

• Dark Shadows fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2002, 06:02:57 AM »

HORROR OF DRACULA produced by Hammer Films, with three titans of classic horror. Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and director Terence Fisher. A film that is gothic, eerie and has some hypnotic music and great visuals in splended color and sets. This is one of my favorite vampire/hammer films.

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA  from director Francis Coppola comes this faithful adaptation of Stoker's famous novel. Gary Oldman was excellent as the Count, truly one of the best Drac perfomances, along the lines of Schrek, Lugosi, Lee, Langella and Kinski. Hopkins was great as Van Helsing and the remaining cast was good. Great sets and costumes, make-up and visuals. A gothic extravagannza. One of my all-ime favs.

THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS from Roman Polanski, who co-stars and directs this one with his fiance Sharon Tate and Ferdy Mane and an excellent British cast. This film makes a humoruos spoof towards the vampire legend. Boasting excellent visuals, gothic sets and some really funny moments. Another fav...

SUBSPECIES produced by Full Moon Pictures and written/directed by Ted Niceloua with one of the creepiest vampires ever, Radu. Looking very much like Kinski's Nosferatu. This fim was completely shot on location in Romania with some great sets, visuals and vampire gore. A good low-budget horror film.

NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE written and directed by Werner Herzog, with Klaus Kinski as a haunting and creepy Count Dracula. This film is the remake of the original Nosferatu. This film boasts some eerie sets and some good visuals. I highly recommend this one.

VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST this is the remake/sequel of the original VHD. In fact this film out does the original in every aspect. With some of the meanest and baddest monsters ever. In which D must go up against. Boasting some incredible visuals and  breathtaking anime...highly recommended!!!

;D 8)
There are more!

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2002, 02:32:32 AM »
As a child I was terrified by vampire/monster movies. I remember hiding under blankets knowing I was going to be the next one to go.
Frightnight is a great one and seems to be on rotation right now where I live. I remember my mom taking my sister and I to the drive in to see a movie and the opening one was Blacula. My poor mom freaked out that she took her two sweet little girls to see a movie like that.
One of the most frightening things that happened to me was when I was in my basement (alone with the lights out) flipping through the channels and came across the Exorcist. When I realized what it was I went to turn it quickly and the remote broke right there and then. I swear I thought my heart was going to burst when I ran up the stairs. It totally freaked me out.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"