Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0621  (Read 2136 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0621
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0621
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:57:31 AM »
Good heavens.  Julia paces the floor of the Old House waiting for Willie to get dressed, and what is Willie doing?  He's putting on his tie!  This must be Jason's training.  "Willie-me-boy, always wear a tie.  You can tell any lie and commit any sin in the book, and as long as you wear a tie, the widows and orphans will still think you're a nice young man and hand over their last pennies for you to invest in mother of pearl mines on Pluto."

We got another great scene between Nicholas and Julia.  I was impressed with Nicholas's denials: he never lost track of which things he wasn't supposed to know.

What a lovely moment, when Barnabas regained consciousness due to the injections that Julia gave Adam!  But very weird.  Barnabas is suffering from blood loss.  Adam has had no blood drained from him.  I understand that what Barnabas suffers, Adam suffers.  But is Adam suffering from loss of blood that mysteriously disappeared from him when Angelique fed on Barnabas?  Or is he merely exhibiting the same symptoms?  And if it's just the same symptoms, how could the injections work?  Never mind.  It was beautiful.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:38:29 AM »
This was an exciting episode! I loved it! [clap2]

Loved the confrontation between Julia and Nicholas. Nicholas couldn't be rattled into admitting the truth to Julia. I loved Julia's take-charge attitude.  [ghost_mad]

It was neat when Barnabas got a little stronger after Julia gave Adam the injections. It gave Barnabas just enough strength to yell out "help" for Willie to hear.  [ghost_smiley]

I was impressed again with Julia when she insisted that Barnabas be taken to Windcliff. She wouldn't take any guff from Barnabas! [ghost_wink]  It was smart to take him there, because as long as the window to his room wasn't open, Angelique wouldn't have been able to come in. After all, vampires have to be "invited" to enter a house. [winkg]

It was great that Julia and Willie were both very concerned about Barnabas. Even though he treated them poorly when he was a vampire, they still cared a lot about him as the person he was at that time. They both knew exactly what Barnabas was going through.  [ghost_sad]

I enjoyed watching the shocked look on Barnabas' face when he learned that Julia knew all about Angelique, that Angelique was married to him.  I'm sure Julia was crushed to hear it, though. [cryg]

Julia was able to give Adam an injection with no problem. I remember when Adam first "woke up", he had a fit when Julia tried to inject him. I guess Adam realized that it was OK and he obviously had matured since then. Adam was so weak, he wouldn't have been able to fight Julia off, anyway.  [ghost_nowink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
It was smart to take him there, because as long as the window to his room wasn't open, Angelique wouldn't have been able to come in. After all, vampires have to be "invited" to enter a house.

Maybe that was tongue in cheek however I thought this was Joss Whedon rule??  Were you just teasing?  Now that I think about it though wasn't that rule started on THE LOST BOYS!?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:40:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure the invited thing was around long before either of those - though it only seems to factor into vampire stories that need it as a plot point. For example, it's not something that really ever factored in on DS because whenever Barnabas wanted to attack someone, he popped into all sorts of places without ever having been invited...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
One wonders where it originated..... [ghost_huh]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
Requiring an invitation to enter a place is but one similarity between the villains in Carmilla (1872) and the Gothic poem Christabel (from the late 18th c.); in the latter, the evil stranger Geraldine cannot cross the threshold to Christabel's family home on her own:

The lady sank, belike through pain,
And Christabel with might and main
Lifted her up, a weary weight,
Over the threshold of the gate:
Then the lady rose again,
And moved, as she were not in pain.

Stoker's Count (1897) needed an invitation to enter a house (was he taking a cue from leFanu?), as did the vampires in Salem's Lot (1975).

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »
I was glad to see Julia get to Adam in time and able to save both him and Barnabas. I too enjoyed her squaring off with Nicholas once again. Of course Nicholas isn't going to admit to anything, but there was no way he was going to convince Julia she read him all wrong. He probably knew that too.

I was a bit disheartened to see Julia and Willie return to the Old House without finding Barnabas, but so glad later on when Willie went back out and heard Barnabas cry out for help.

But I find it hard to believe that Barnabas never told Willie about Angelique (or at least about the hot young thing he banged in Martinique long ago and cursed him as a vampire and destroyed nearly all his family). But on the other hand, he never told Julia either until after his car accident with Vicki so I guess maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

This episode was great, but what would have made it better would have been to have Eve there, seeing Adam all weak and sick. No doubt she would have enjoyed it and been hoping that he would parish. She probably had a fit (in the privacy of her room of course) after he recovered.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »
Oh I must immerse myself in Carmilla as it sounds wonderful. The poem is exquisite as well!  I hadn't read Dracula either and yes I know~~ blasphemy!  I am really trying to broaden my horizons as Clare from 'Steel Magnolias' would say [ghost_wink]

I think I am headed in a good direction as I have  practically watched at least 50 Old Hollywood movies since about February.   I have been in that phase for a while and I absolutely adore it. THANKS Rose McGowan and Robert Osbourne for hosting The Essentials and sharing your love of old film.  It has really rubbed off on me.  I seem, on the road, to becoming much more cultured and open as I age and it really seems like a natural progression......

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 09:34:52 AM »
Maybe that was tongue in cheek...   Were you just teasing? 
No, I wasn't teasing. I was serious.  [ghost_smiley]

----- Sally -----

[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 03:43:48 AM »
I always like the Julia pulled out the stake and the hammer out of her medical bag. It is a treatment for vampire. I also like the gift she left Nicholas.

Great show and great ending.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
I always like the Julia pulled out the stake and the hammer out of her medical bag. It is a treatment for vampire. 

LOL!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:42:20 AM »
Nicholas and Julia have another great scene together. Awesome!
I hope Nicholas kills Angelique, because I need a break from her. However, I would love to see Julia stake her!! That would be so cool.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books