Author Topic: Am I insane, or does this sound like the music box?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: Am I insane, or does this sound like the music box?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 03:08:29 AM »
Well, it was only played once, as best I can remember.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 03:10:58 AM »
Not from what I remember.  I could be wrong though Goober.  Anyone??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 07:35:23 AM »
Well, it was only played once, as best I can remember.

Farnon's theme is the one heard prior to 1795-- through [spoiler]Maggie's kidnapping.[/spoiler]Once 1795 starts, it isn't heard again until it's accidentally(?) played once during the Dream Curse story.

BTW, the 2 versions can be compared here:
http://hometown.aol.com/graemecree/josette.htm

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 07:52:49 AM »
Thanks Midnite.  I was pretty sure it was played more than once.  I wasn't trying to dispute you Goob, however I was really sure it was played more.  A friend on mine watched the early Barnabas eps (which I haven't watched yet) and he mentioned how they playyed a different one for quite a while before the new one.   Speaking of~~I got my DS Collectors Volume 4 [spoiler]with Laura and David in their painting. WOW!  I am so excited the storyline that one of the staff truly belifes without it ther would have never been a Barney![/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 08:12:21 AM »
My mistake, sorry. For some reason I was thinking that it only got one play. No idea why.  [ghost_huh]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 08:21:29 AM »
Dan Curtis eventually got Cobert to adapt the tune into "Josette's Music Box," but I'm not sure if that was because he didn't want to pay royalities to Farnon or because he simply wanted something more original for DS.

Dan Curtis allegedly just didn't like using music that he didn't own.  I believe the Farnon piece was ABC stock music, so I don't think Farnon was receiving any money from the tune when it was played.  (I'm not sure about that, though.) 

Anyway, Cobert's version is definitely superior (and my favorite piece of music). 

Personally, several times while watching the original Barnabas storyline, I have wished that someone would go in and edit out the Farnon music, and replace it with the Cobert theme.  While there was always inconsistency with Dark Shadows, the one thing that was constant was the music, especially the main tunes.  All of them remained the same throughout the series, except Josette's music box, and that has always bothered me. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
That would'nt  be be a bad thing to edit out.  Taking Anita Bolster blooper out is blasphemoy but I won't get started on that again!!  I shall curse you (which is a good thing)  for your post!  [ghost_wink]

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
After playing this particular game on Nintendo for about 2 months, (years ago) i am very familiar with that theme....The hero enters a cave or bombed out wall, and he will usually find a weapon that will help him defeat the bad guy he is sure to encounter, and this music plays in the background as he is in the cave.....As for the question you pose about being insane, i would say yes, you probably are a lunatic.... [ghost_cheesy]......(Wait a minute, i did say i spent about 2 months mashing and twisting knobs to defeat a monster that was on my TV screen....) oooooops....  [ghost_shocked]   
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »
BTW, the 2 versions can be compared here:
http://hometown.aol.com/graemecree/josette.htm

Play both of them at the same time - it's kinda weird but also kinda neat.

Gerard

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 02:26:42 PM »
Thanks Midnite for putting up the links for the two versions...I listened to both of them several times and while I really like Cobert's version there is something hauntingly nice about Farnon's version.  It's a nice change of pace from Cobert's version.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »
I'm personally not one for editing for consistency. I read somewhere that in the more recent DVDs of Star Wars Episode VI, they cut out some of the actors originally used and replaced them with those from the more recent prequel trilogy, such as cutting out the actor who originally played the role of the young Darth Vader in ghost form at the end of the film and inserting Hayden Christenson, who played the young Vader in Episodes II and III. This bugs me, despite the fact that I'm not a Star Wars fan.

And tripwire's description of the music's use in-game is mostly accurate; you must use an in-game instrument to play the music in certain places to gain access to hidden areas, and it is also used as the theme of one of the main characters, therefore making its way into a large portion of the game's score (and a smaller portion in some of the sequels; I believe it's played briefly in Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess).

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »
I personally loved how they added Hayden in but that is just me and I am Star Wars fan.

Offline LeFanu

• Junior Poster
  • Like, I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 07:45:57 PM »
yeah, the ocarina of time does kind of have some similarity to josette's music box. very pretty.

i personally preferred the second version of josette's music box theme. the first one meandered too much - it wasn't as memorable as the "classic" version that was played more often on dark shadows.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 06:00:32 AM »
"OH yes I AGWEE" as Natalie from '91 would say!  [ghost_wink]  I do though.  The second is the definitve and it just works and sounds better.  The other doesn't have a good flow to it.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 12:04:39 AM »
I’m so glad I looked at this post because it provides the answers to questions I’ve had for years about the original Josette’s theme.  I don’t recall ever reading on this forum who had composed the original music box theme.  I found it a lovely piece that I’ve always wanted to hear again ever since I first watched the early episodes on SciFi.   Seven or eight years must have passed since then, and now thanks to the link posted here, I’ve finally been able to hear the original melody once more (somehow I never managed to get back to my videotapes).

I hadn’t realized that Robert Cobert had adapted his version from the first, but now listening to one after the other it’s obvious.  Thanks to Prof. Stokes for posting the information about the original piece.

Robert Cobern’s version is perfect - it’s a little more catchy than Farnon’s, but the first version works so well, too, and completely evokes an elegant lady’s music box.  The change from one to the other after several weeks of hearing the first Josette’s theme never bothered me.

-Philippe Cordier

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995