Author Topic: Has DS taught you anything?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Has DS taught you anything?
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:34:04 AM »
When Barnabas first came on DS I was a young boy in Georgia. We live in the country, my father was in 'Nam and I was raised in a house full of women. There was my younger brother but he was in the same boat I was. We ended up starting knowing more about cooking and sewing than football. I still know more about cooking than football. Anyway that caused me to "dislike" my father for not being there. Don't misunderstand, I have always loved my father but as a young boy I was very angry at him and thought that I really disliked him. Anyway, when Barnabas came on the show and for a few months after that, I learn that sometimes people do things, not because they want to, but because they have to. As the years have passed I have come to believe that "duty" can't always be explained and it's very hard to turn your back on it. I know know that my father wasn't in the Army or in 'Nam because he wanted to be. He was there because of "duty" not only to country but to family. He is half American Indian and when he was a young man he couldn't get the jobs that other could get. He wanted felt a duty to provide as best he could for his family and that meant joining the Army. That also meant going where they told him to go. He has always loved his country but if he could have done something different and still provide for his family I think he would have.

When I grew up I went in for some of the same reasons. To provide for my family and to try and give back to those who did it before me.

It may seem strange that a vampire could teach me about duty but the idea that Barnabas fought the need to drink to be with the person he loved, to me, is all about duty. The duty he felt to his family and Josette.

I didn't know until years later how important this show was to me or the life lesson I learned from it, but I'll never forget it. That's one reason it was so important for me to go to the fest, meet the stars and thank them.

I just wish I had been able thank Dan himself.

Anyway, did DS teach you anything? Looking back on it, why do you think it was so important to you? Or was it just a fun thing and I'm just a little crazy [ghost_smiley] alot crazy [ghost_undecided]?
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Has DS taught you anything?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:45:07 AM »
You're a lot crazy, Borgosi!  Just like the rest of us!  That's why we're here!  But, seriously, I guess I would have to say that I watched it mostly for fun (I always loved horror, from as far back as I can remember).  But in retrospect I can say that it taught me that I could be creative.  I can escape, especially when things are stressful, to a world of fantasy.  Back then, when I watched it during its initial run, I identified closely with all those characters.  Why?  I really can't say.  But I fantasized about them, I played DS; they became my way of entering my personal world of getting away from things.  I found out it was okay to enter my creativity for just my own enjoyment.  Back in junior high, while DS was still on the air (it went off the air half-way through my junior high years), I even started to compose my own DS novel in my mind.  From that point on, I continued to create in my mind, and then I started to put pen to paper, and then when we finally got a portable typewriter (for those of you born after the mid eighties, that's what we used before computers and word; you might find one tucked away in a closet, attic or basement somewhere) I clacked away, and eventually on a computer. 

I've written hordes of short stories, several novels, a complete DS novel, and started on a second, epic DS novel that covered almost 50 years of the Collins family in the twentieth century.  None will ever see the publishing light of day.  It's hard to get published; actually, it's virtually impossible.  Gone are the days when budding authors could send manuscripts to the many varied publishing companies unsolicited (and without an agent!) and maybe one of them will pick it up and away you go.  That's how Stephen King got started.  Although he had quite a few short stories printed in magazines, when he sent his draft for Carrie to twelve, I believe, publishing firms, they all rejected it.  He planned on tossing it into the trash.  His wife Tabitha rescued it, sent it in to one more and, as they say, history was made.  When that happened, he and his wife were living in basically a hovel with no hot running water (he had to go to his mother's place to take a bath).  Now he's the richest author to ever come out of America.  He has stated, however, that if he started today and submitted the same works, all of which have made hundreds-of-millions, if not billions, he wouldn't stand a chance.  That's how it works in the publishing world today. 

But I don't care.  My works will never fill another mind with the stuff I've created.  I enjoy doing it, as a hobby.  And I credit DS for that.  It has taught me to enjoy my own world for my own joy. 

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:28:06 AM »
I have talked (before) about how DS had taught me many word's I was not aware of.  I think that is great.  Obviously the writers were very erudite and well educated in the English language.  In many ways DS was a very important part in my coming out as a gay man.  I really identified with Barnabas Collins because he (like me) had a huge secret to hide. Slowly over time I made friend's in fandom and they encouraged me to be true to myself and not live by the rules that were ingrained into my Psyche.  I was raised in a religious family, I sang and played piano in church and we were there Sunday Morning, Sunday Night and every Wednesday night.  We also did activities in the church outside of actually being in a service. I have written short stories and loved the Arts all my life.  Because of DS I was able to write short stories and even publish a zine for which I will ALWAYS be proud of.  It was a true joy and oh so much fun to collect all the submissions and put it together. Again I MISS ZINES!!  I also learned to emulate a lot of that "wonderful" 60's & 70's makeup and parlay that into my own work as a Make Up Artist. I wish I knew more about Vincent Loscalzo.

I have been out 10 years to the world this month and 8 years to family. It was literally "HELL" when I first came out however my folks finally came around.  We didn't speak for almost two years. Thankfully old wounds have healed and we are really tight now. 

So yes DS in a round about way DS taught me to be myself and also to let my creativity flow freely!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 08:24:43 AM »
DS was one of several very formative programs for me.   Re Barnabas: I always felt alienated, too different to be accepted, and in danger all the time, but with a cool original identity or point of view underneath waiting to form and appear, and that sense caused me to hang in through everything back then.  I'm still trying to make that happen (a unique medical condition impedes that now, strangely enough).

I love shows that shake up your point of view and get you to look at things in some better more sane way than school, family, and government may want you to.   The Trasks did that.   The preacher as a villain, in one era after another, the "monster" as a hero... Don't tell me DS had no counter-culture content...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
WORD!! AMEN!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
Well, I am forming a religion... by the way Taeylor, great signature!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 05:04:32 PM »
DS taught me to appreciate wickedness and long and lanky, mutton-chopped men.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 05:19:48 PM »
DS taught me to appreciate wickedness

The appreciation of which in the real world is always downplayed in favor of virtuousness, as I suppose it should. But in the DS world virtuousness almost always equals dull - whereas the wicked characters are far more interesting. And we wouldn't have it any other way!  [ghost_cheesy]  Who the hell wants to watch a bunch of virtuous people being, well, virtuous?!  [ghost_tongue]

David

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 05:59:28 PM »
DS didn't teach me, it influenced me.

Because of DS, I wento to see all the latter day Hammer Films on their first run.
I began to watch the Universal Horror classics &
devoured monster magazines.
Because of DS, those films/mags remain a part of my life today.

Because of 1795 & 1897, I watched Masterpiece Theatre & went to see films like Anne of the Thousand Days, Mary Queen of Scots, and many other fine period dramas.
I still do.
All because of DS.

David

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
The appreciation of which in the real world is always downplayed in favor of virtuousness, as I suppose it should. But in the DS world virtuousness almost always equals dull - whereas the wicked characters are far more interesting. And we wouldn't have it any other way!  [ghost_cheesy]  Who the hell wants to watch a bunch of virtuous people being, well, virtuous?!  [ghost_tongue]

Right. I'd go ape if I had to watch Miss Winters in her short sleeve shifts minding David and spouting, "I don't understand."  Imagine my surprise when she and Burke were smooching by the fountain. My God, Jim! Had Vicky lost her virtuousness? I suppose that's another topic...
Let's start one!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 03:31:59 AM »
virtue is supposed to be it's own reward but that's not usually how things played out in the d.s. universe.

there is that marquis de sade book called "justine,or good conduct well chastised"...that name could easily be changed to "victoria".

so did d.s. teach me anything?no good deed goes unpunished...the road to hell is paved with good intentions...you get the drift here.

and i rather like the "dull" characters.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 05:02:21 AM »
the road to hell is paved with good intentions

Ain't that the truth!! YEAHHHHHH!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:28:11 AM »
Recently I think I'm processing DS as teaching us that there's such a thing as a long downward slide in one's fortunes with no escape.   That first came to me watching 1795, where we know for an absolute fact that "it's all going to end in tears" as they say in the UK.   A sub-message may be, attempt to appreciate the harsh drama in such a doomed course, especially if it's happening to you, and don't feel valueless because of it if it's not your fault.   We saw Barnabas's story starting long before vampirism, and even if he's something from hell to those who encounter him, we know that the "monster" is a valuable "human being" with worth.

Sometimes a curse isn't your fault, and being on the receiving end of one doesn't automatically make you worthless.   It can certainly feel exactly that way.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »
virtue is supposed to be it's own reward but that's not usually how things played out in the d.s. universe.

Not at all. The virtuous generally have nothing to look forward to except misery and sometimes even tragic death. And while it's not the case that the wicked ever really triumph because they almost always get their comeuppance in the end, the mayhem they cause quite often manages to take at least a few of the virtuous down along the way. In other words, it's a rarity on DS when anyone ever really wins and comes out the other side unscathed.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 02:30:55 AM »
DS taught me that the shows my mother watched at 8 or 9 were a heck of a lot better than the ones I did.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.