Author Topic: Orange Plaid Sportsjacket sighting on CBS Sunday Morning  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Orange Plaid Sportsjacket sighting on CBS Sunday Morning
« on: August 10, 2008, 07:26:51 PM »
I was minding my own business this morning, watching CBS Sunday Morning while I ate and did laundry. At the end of the show when they do the Bill Geist feature,my eyes got a shock.   [yikes]

The feature was on oddball sports which should have been in the Olympics, so as a departure point he was doing the intro from Chinatown in NYC.  What caught my eyeballs was what he was wearing in that pickup shot (and ONLY that pickup shot).

It was the twin brother of  Quentin's infamous eyespraining orange plaid sportsjacket from PT 1970.  [faint2]

Two scary points to ponder: I believe the news division wears their own clothes -- and I was told a long time ago that at one point  (80s and/or earlier) actors in contemporary soaps (esp.males) were asked to wear their own clothes too.

Alas, I've been looking on line and I can't find either a still or a vid of the infamous jacket's comeback to share.

[signblah05]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Orange Plaid Sportsjacket sighting on CBS Sunday Morning
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:52 AM »
Well, the first step in the jacket's amazing journey from Q to this modern sportscaster would have to be the abc dumpster.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 06:06:45 AM »
GAK! We have to find it and burn it before it has a chance to copulate with other sports jackets and create little orange baby sportsjackets!

...In case you can't tell, I'm a little punchy tonight. [ghost_tongue2]
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
Wow, I wonder whether some families wiill be suing for residual psychic damage suffered from view that "toxic shock" orange monstrosity!

I mean, this pretty much blows Janet Jackson's breast RIGHT out of the water!

I am LOL over Magnus' comment about the ABC dumpster.  Maybe somebody rescued one of Cassandra's wigs and those awful sweaters they made poor Julia wear over her first months from there...

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:11:32 AM »
I mean, this pretty much blows Janet Jackson's breast RIGHT out of the water!
I don't think Janet's breast could be blown anywhere seeing as it doesn't move because it isn't real!! [ghost_wink]

On Topic: My eyes melted during PT.  I hollered over and over "For God sake this man is the master of Collinwood and this is the only coat he has??"  Don't get me rambling about the clothing department on DS.  GRRR......
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
My theory has been that it was somebody's bright  (?) idea to show that this was an alternate universe by having fashion be different.   I remember a lot of clashing colors in PT, and strange choices, such as Stokes's black shirt with a bow tie.

When they went from RT1840 to PT1841, the clothing colors got lighter.  Compared to the dark and sombre 1840RT, the colors practically look like pastels.   I remember a lot of blue and green together in both PT periods.

Mental image: wino with a black wig, ugly sweater, and orange sport coat staggering down the street.  Now how do we get to CBS 2008 from there...?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »
It was a deliberate choice to make the color schemes of 1970PT and 1841PT so radically different from Real Time. The bright, vibrant, bold colors and the often wild patterns in not just the clothes but in the decor of the houses are a false facade that attempts to mask the darkness at the heart of everything that's happening in PT. I've always thought it was an inspired stylistic choice.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Just to chime in that I LOVED the re-styling of the sets and look in PT 1970.  Quentin's orange jacket WAS a major faux-pas but did underline the character's emotional instability.  Alexalique's Peter Max dress puts me into a trance on the DVDs!

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I loved the "LOOK" of the show during PT however, I was just incredibly sick of the damn jacket.  He was rich and he wore it over and over and over...and well you get the point.  It's like Eve and VampAngie who wore the same outfit over and over. 
I actually was telling a friend the other day about how I like the "look"of the show in the later years best.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 04:06:23 AM »
It was a deliberate choice to make the color schemes of 1970PT and 1841PT so radically different from Real Time.

Thanks.  Thought so.  Presumably when you say something this way, you mean that it's confirmed by what makers of DS have said...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 05:08:08 AM »
Indeed it is. Sy Tomashoff, Mostoller & Stanley Simmons and Mary McKinley-Haas have all commented on it at one time or another.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »
... however, I was just incredibly sick of the damn jacket.  He was rich and he wore it over and over and over...and well you get the point.  It's like Eve and VampAngie who wore the same outfit over and over. 

LOL Like 1897 Quentin wore (with the exception of the episode where we first met him) the SAME DAMN SUIT every day for a nearly year long storyline?  Must have had a closet full of them,all alike, to cover the ones bit the dust every full moon.... [Wolfie] Even if Edward didn't recognize the messed up face,and the height  -- how DID he miss THAT SUIT?

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 08:57:46 PM »
how DID he miss THAT SUIT?

I seem to remember thinking that the werewolf was wearing a considerably darker suit than the one quentin wore all the time. Maybe the curse also changes the color of your suit somehow  [ghost_cheesy]. By the way, I'm almost certain that the werewolf was a good amount shorter than Quentin. I mean honestly, the guy they put in that werewolf suit was like 6 inches shorter than david selby, lol...
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
Yes you are correct Garth. I think it is mentioned in the POM press books that Alex Stevens (Stunt Double) was ALOT shorter than David Sebly or Don Briscoe!  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 11:04:50 PM »
Maybe they kept him because he could do that cool jumping over the railing to the floor of the foyer move.