Author Topic: (Possibly Semi-OT) Very DS-inspired book on sale at certain Wal-Marts  (Read 2244 times)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
(Before I post this, I apologize in advance if this has been mentioned before. I did use the search feature to search for the author's name, and there were no results.)

A few weeks ago, when I was looking at my local Wal-Mart's book selection, I saw a hardcover volume containing the first two books of a series called The Dreamhouse Kings by Robert Liparulo. I can't remember what the second book was called, but the reason the first one caught my eye was its title: House of Dark Shadows, exactly the same as the first movie. I didn't buy this collection, and I only flipped through it, but from what I can gather, it's not a coincidence. The main characters are three siblings named Victoria, David, and Xander - granted, Xander is the name of a character from another TV series with vampires, but Victoria, David, and the title make it pretty clear. I also noticed a sentence that was something like, "Xander remembered his father talking about an old TV show called Dark Shadows, about a vampire named Barnabas who lived in a house like this." (I apologize if this is incorrect, but it has been a while since I read this). Anyway, I've been unable to find the two-pack online, so I assume it's a Wal-Mart exclusive, but I just wanted to let everyone here know to check their Wal-Mart's book section for it if they're interested. I may check out a copy from the library once I finish reading what I have at home to read.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: (Possibly Semi-OT) Very DS-inspired book on sale at certain Wal-Marts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »
I saw the "book"....the hand. LOL Had to throw that Grayson flub in there.  Anyhoo..I saw the book on Amazon(while searching for DS merchandise)  and didn't really read what it was about.  Interesting. [ghost_azn]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »
Doesn't this infringe on copyright?   I don't stick up for corporations, I'm just asking....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:49 AM »
The Prologue and 1st Chapter of "House of" are available for dl on the author's site:  http://www.robertliparulo.com/

Apparently, "some rooms [in that house] are portals to other worlds."   [ghost_nowink]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »
I want to read them, but I'm currently using my Wii's Internet Channel, and it (infuriatingly) doesn't support PDF files. [ghost_mad]

I think this qualifies as outright plagiarism. XD

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 05:18:17 AM »
Doesn't this infringe on copyright?   I don't stick up for corporations, I'm just asking....
I don't think the title of a work of art can be copyrighted/copywritten (?)  [ghost_wacko]

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:23:28 AM »
I know that it took a while before Paramount let a certain semi-pro, semi-fan organization put the label of "Star Trek" on video projects of theirs, and that was a sort of minor miracle.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:02:01 AM »
When you consider that much of DS was borrowed from other sources- books and
movies, I don't think this book has gone too far. At least from what I read about it.
Sounds like a fun read.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 03:47:56 AM »
Julianka7 does have a point. DS borrowed quite a bit from other stories, so *cough* giving back isn't too unreasonable.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 06:48:25 AM »
Yes, I'm sure that will hold up in court!

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »
First off I'd agree that DCP would have a hard job proving many of the elements as plagiarism, as  Dan was swiping stuff from most every classic novel in sight (most, but not all of which were indeed in the public domain by that point). Though I do wonder if DuMaurier was ever aware how much of Rebecca was lifted.  I think--but can't be sure-- she was alive,but if not I would think her estate would have been REEEL interested, since either way her copyright was still valid.

That said, hearing of this book brought to mind a case a year, maybe two years ago in Star Wars fandom, in which I've been active since the late 70s. Since most people here never heard about this, here's the story:

There was a lot of buzz when a "fan novel' showed up on Amazon -- forget the author's name, but her first name I remember was Lori.when you checked the novel's website, it was a publication of a small publisher (simliar to a vanity press in structure) but the interesting thing was that this Lori owned the company. The book looked legit,down to having an ISBN(though anyone in the know can get one of those). So, since no one ever heard of this person, and most ESPECIALLY hadn't heard of Lucas licencing any but the official novel series' in progress, people started checking into this.

Apparently this person wrote a fan novel, and, instead of releasing it as a zine,decided to bring it out as a book under their company imprint.  DUMB DE DUMB DUMB.   [stupid]  I think the Lucasfilm lawyers set a land speed record getting it, and all sites related to it, yanked. No clue what happened with the associated legal proceedings.

And the punchline to the whole sad story is that a few copies were purchased before things got shut down, and the story (and the writing itself) SUCKED DEAD BUNNIES. Far inferior in quality to the fan novels that had been a staple of the fandom for years.

One wonders what will happen with this case, as anything going out through Walmart's distribution network is going to have trouble flying under the radar.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »
Yes, I'm sure that will hold up in court!

Indeed. [nodno]

I recall reading about a fan novel for a TV series that someone was going to try to get published. All the author was going to do was give credit to the creators of the show; she wasn't going to give them anything remotely resembling royalties. Everyone on the board told her it could never happen, and she just kept ignoring them.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 08:12:22 PM »
Here's a review of House of Dark Shadows: Book Review: House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »
Xander and David??  Pinedale?  Hmm sounds like two of my favorite shows messed into ONE!  I probably won't read it but thanks for the review!!!

OFF TOPIC:  MB you always seem have the "LOW DOWN" on things!! You must be a busy little beaver!! [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 12:51:09 AM »
Just came across this review (from the same site as the previous review) of the second book Book Review: Watcher in the Woods (Dreamhouse Kings Series, Book 2) by Robert Liparulo