Author Topic: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!  (Read 8450 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: HODS/NODS Double Feature in San Francisco this October!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 03:24:04 AM »
KLS has indeed been announced as one of the guests:

Shock It To Me!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
so which night will h.o.d.s + n.o.d.s. be shown? all i see is oct 17th+18th. then it says one night only? which night will the d.s. films be shown ?

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »
Looks like Lara Parker's gonna be there too - http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37426&page=2
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »
I watched House Of DS last weekend. There was plenty of incontinuity. Is it me, or did MGM leave several reels on the cutting room floor as they did with Night?
My best wishes to Darren Gross. Finding lost footage is a nightmare, particularly when the major studios won't cooperate. I've been involved in a push to get Universal to release several "B" movies from the 40's. No dice. If they won't make money, why pursue them? That's the studio's take on this issue. That's why they make all those remakes. For example: Gilligan's Island was a gold mine in syndication. Let's make a movie! $$$$
I don't even go to the movies anymore. I come home and switch on Turner Classic Movies and unwind. Or I pop in a tape, and I have hundreds of them, and watch Reptillicus ruin the Denmark nation, or Lon Chaney make love to Gwen Conliffe in front of - what may still be standing in the Universal lot - Conliffe's Antiques, Vasaria.
I have the highest respect for Darren. And I can't wait to see his restored version of "Night". He has worked hard for this. I'm sure we will all enjoy it.

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 02:38:28 PM »
If you read the original script from HoDS, quite a few pivitol scenes were not in the movie.  For example:  watching the movie, Barnabas and Willie were having an argument regarding Barnabas' wanting to get Jeff Clark out of the way (well, who wouldn't?).  Willie asks Barnabas if he's going to do something to Jeff; Barnabas replies, rather, he's going to do something for him.  And then Jeff's gone (well, not that that's a bad thing), no explanation.  Turns out there was a scene, maybe a couple, I don't recall exactly now, in the script in which Barnabas has made arrangements for Jeff to have a gallery showing of his works somewhere out of town, or something like that, so Barnabas can spend time wooing Maggie.  There are other various scenes which fleshed things out more that didn't make it to the big screen.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
The difference between hoDS and NoDS, though, is that too many of the plot holes and the irritating lack of character development was all DC's doing because he either didn't include shot scenes in his final edit or he didn't bother to shoot them at all because he felt they detracted from the blood, gore, murder and mayhem, all of which was foremost in his mind. After all, why get to know any of the characters or care about them when they're merely pieces in DC's giant game, right? WRONG!  ::)  But we've discussed the failings of hoDS to death - and the CE/A boards aren't the place to do it anyway...

David

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 08:44:29 PM »
August Ragone, who runs the annual Shock It 2 Me marathon, has posted on the Classic Horror Film Board that both DS films will screen Sat Oct 18th.
The day will also include Hammer's Horror of Dracula & Curse of Frankenstein.

Coming to the Castro Theatre in Sept:
a week long tribute to Tim Burton & Johnny Depp!

The Castro Theatre is reason enough to live
here in San Francisco!

David

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 05:38:50 AM »
San Fransisco is enough to live in San Fran! :)  It has always been my dream......one day maybe.... [ghost_sad]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »
San Fransisco is enough to live in San Fran! :)  It has always been my dream......one day maybe.... [ghost_sad]

Life is short & SF is here,
just do it, Taeylor!

And you can hang out with me & my 2 local DS buddies!

David

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
Someone on the thread linked to thought he was paying for it all personally.

Oh, but I have been...for nearly 10 years now, in blood, sweat, tears, and time... [ghost_wink]

I just found this thread today.  Thanks for the kind words, everybody.  Very nice to read.

That said, I definitely urge those interested to come on down to the screening.  After the film finishes, I'm showing the extended R rated scenes (full sound and color), which is extremely eye-opening when shown in that context, as well as some of the unrestored footage, and other tidbits which were going to be shown at this year's fest but weren't...

And, I'll be bringing along a very special print of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS: an original British dye transfer technical print.  It's the only technicolor print of the film that survives, as far as I'm aware, and the colors are amazing-- the reds, the garish greenish yellows, the eye-popping blue of Julia's hideous house dress will amaze you... Plus it's got the UK ratings X certificate card at the head, so it'll truly be a unique experience.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »
thanks for the info. looking forward to seeing the print of hods. i wasnt impressed with the print shown at the vista theatre. it had good sound but a scratchy print.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »
Life is short & SF is here,
just do it, Taeylor!

And you can hang out with me & my 2 local DS buddies!

Sometimes harsh reality and physical barriers get in the way of our doing these things.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 11:03:23 PM »
I truly wish I could be at this event.  KLS and LP.  All kinds of DS fans and possible other people who aren't fans.  How much fun.  Magnus is right David though, at this time it would be impossible for me to relocate anywhere.  Hopefully one day.   [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Wednesday

• View Profile
    • Wednesday's Korner
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 06:02:32 AM »
I joined the boards to read what others think about the upcoming Shock It To Me festival screenings of the Dark Shadows movies. I saw these on VHS many years ago.  I am definitely going because these two are being screened.

Is anyone particularly interested in arriving in a costume? I'd be paying tribute to the Daphne character. I asked the Shock It To Me people if they were planning any costume incentives, like show up as your favorite D.S. character and you get something free, but they said that this idea failed last time so they'd bring it up at their next meeting. I think if any movie double feature would inspire fans to be there in costume, it'd be this one. What do you think?

I, too, am excited to see any of the special footage Darren brings!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »
Welcome, Wednesday!  Hope you enjoy the movies and Darren's groovy footage.